Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on October 22, 2007
Why does the Product Details not include a section for DVD extras?

* 13-disc set including every episode
* three "lost" episodes featuring Dave Atell, Whoopi Goldberg and Conan O'Brien
* An Evening with Dr. Katz: Live from the Comedy Central Stage with Maria Bamford, Kathy Griffin, Andy Kindler, Paul F. Tompkins and series co-stars H. Jon Benjamin and Laura Silverman
* 28-page booklet, with an introduction from Dr. Katz and memoirs from his favorite patients
* The Bibliography of Dr. Katz
* "Short Attention Span Theater" shorts
* "Shrink Wrapped" - an original Squigglevision short
* Checking In: Dr. Katz follows up with former patients Dave Atell, Joy Behar, Emo Philips and Steven Wright
* Audio commentary by Jonathan Katz, H. Jon Benjamin, Ray Romano, Laura Silverman and Tom Snyder
55 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2007
I remember watching this show late at night with my college roommates and laughing hysterically. Over the past few years, I have been looking for it. I was happy with the first two seasons coming out of DVD and caught a few episodes on Comedy Central "On Demand" through my cable. I was not disappointed. It is still hilarious. It looked to be in jeopardy of being shelved, but thankfully the full-set is coming.
For anyone wondering, the animation is crude, bordering on annoying. But that isn't the selling point. It could be a radio show and it would be hilarious. About 1/2 of the show takes place in Dr. Katz's office as he has therapy sessions with well known stand-up comedians. Most of it is them doing some of their stand-up material and Dr. Katz reacting. This is the most hit or miss part of the show for me. 75% of the comedians are funny. Big names too. Ray Romano, Dave Chappelle, Jon Stewart, Wanda Sykes, Sarah Silverman, etc. The part of the show that never missed for me was the storyline surrounding Ben Katz. Perhaps my favorite character of all time on television. He never misses. He makes me laugh every episode. His interactions with Dr.l Katz, Laura (the receptionist), and anyone else he encounters are very funny.
33 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2008
This DVD set is well designed. All the disks are stored in a single case that's easy to flip through. Each season is split into 2 DVDs of 6-7 episodes each and the seasons have matching colors. The complete series DVDs don't have the obnoxious advertisements that you had to skip through before the menu in the previously released DVDs.

The menus are fairly easy to navigate and provide the names of the comedians and air date of each episode. The video looks good in either widescreen or 4x3 aspects (to me anyway) and none of the image is cut off in either aspect. I can't tell if that's due to the original format or anamorphic formatting on the DVD, but it seems to work.

The only nit I have to pick, and it's a small one, is that they may have purposefully split each season to two disks to jack up the price but it's not enough of a drawback to drop a star.

Regarding the show itself, it had been a while since I'd seen the last episodes and I was pleased that the show was pretty consistent from season-to-season. Some additional background music and transition scenes are mixed in around the 4th-5th seasons and some color creeps into the original b&w backgrounds, but the style of dialogue remains about the same which is impressive over so many seasons.
on June 25, 2008
This 13(!!) disc "raised" coverart box set contains a booklet, all 48 (44?) original episodes, plus lost episodes, shorts AND a Comedy Central special featuring a REAL LIFE Dr. Katz skit! Damn, is Laura HOT! ;) It was surreal to see the characters in real life doing what they do best. Totally amazing! I'll treasure this box till the day I die! AND don't forget, at this time you can only individually purchase seasons 1+2 on DVD! This box is the ONLY way to get everything ever made in this series on DVD! One of the best, if not THE best, program Comedy Central ever aired! ONLY drawback is lack of audio commentary track for most episodes.
on May 31, 2008
This is the best comedy show of the early '90's that most people have never heard of! It's one of my favorite comedy shows of all time. The interplay between Dr. Katz, his son Ben, and his receptionist Laura ranges from humorous to side-splitting. His "patients" are all comedians of the time, and are all hilarious -- some better than others, but all great.

My one complaint about this set is the visual quality. I had most of the shows home-recorded on VHS tapes at the lowest-quality setting. Nevertheless, the quality of those VHS tapes was substantially better than on these DVDs. I'm not a video expert, but the "squiggle-vision" which seemed fine on the broadcasts in the 90's (analog?) has been digitized on these DVDs at a low resolution. The viewer is constantly aware of very large black pixels that keep moving around the character's outlines. These episodes should have been digitized at twice the resolution -- the pixels would be smaller and the overall effect wouldn't be so distracting.

However, I'm a huge fan of Dr. Katz, and this set is worth it. My brain can come to ignore the poor pixelation and just take in the show itself. And If they ever decide to come out with a better quality set in the future, I'll probably buy that as a replacement.
on September 15, 2011
Because I never cared for the "squigglevision" animation, I avoided this show literally for years. It was only from seeing various clips of the series featuring Steven Wright and Emo Philips that I decided to give the show a second look. I was surprised at just how much I enjoyed the core material and central characters, especially Laura Silverman. The single best episode in terms of the central characters and their quirky dysfunctions was "Mask" where, halfway through the show Dr. Katz's deadbeat son Ben finally remembers the nightmare he had a day or two before. Oh my God, I could not believe the conversation that ensued! You won't find that episode anywhere but here on the complete series of the show.

One of the weaknesses, however, is that too many of the guest comedians simply used Dr. Katz's couch as a platform for their shtick. The comedians that approached this concept in the manner it deserved not only made their respective episode(s) great, they won over audience that they might not have won over otherwise. The best guest comedians were Emo Philips, Steven Wright, and the incredible Dom Irrera! The latter made more appearances than any other comedian and, yet, I never tired of his contributions because he did not treat the couch as just another gig. I suppose it also doesn't help much that I absolutely, positively loath Ray Romano. Thank God he finally stop showing up for his appointments because, quite frankly, there is no helping him!

All in all, this is a very good purchase. At times it's mixed bag, but when it is on it is really on. If you don't believe, just watch "Mask" from season four.
on August 27, 2007
This is one of the funniest series born of American television, in my opinion, and I will certainly purchase this SOME day.

HOWEVER: As another reviewer has written, I've already bought Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD, and it's a manageable purchase for $15-20 per set. But now, to have Seasons 3-6, I will have to purchase the first two seasons AGAIN. And the purchase price (while certainly competitive for the number of discs involved), is a power of 10 higher than I usually put out for DVD entertainment. So that's a bit of a letdown.
88 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2015
Love, love, love this series! I bought the first and second seasons separately long ago before I realized they had this whole set. It is hysterical. I have been a fan for many years and even had the audio recordings of some of the shows so I could listen to it in my car and laugh my whole way to work. You have to get used to the constant moving shake of the animation. It is well worth it.
on October 29, 2015
Amazing show. So many comedians! Great voices for the characters including Dr Katz, Ben, and Laura. Very enjoyable. The cartoon art is so goofy, you end up loving it's charm. There are several lines that I will remember forever, especially things that Dom Irrera says - he is hilarious as a patient in this show. Ray Romano also is funny, but a lot of his jokes ("am i gay?!" "candy") are heard in other things he has done. This show is from the 90s and so you see a lot of comedians from that time and some are still around today, so it's fun for the throwback.
on August 26, 2007
Feels like a ripoff...they release seasons 1 and 2, then suddenly decide to just stop releasing seasons and give us the whole package at once? Guess I'll be buying seasons 1 and 2 yet again, as part of this set.
1212 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse