4.0 out of 5 stars Caveat emptor, or, do your homework
Published on July 22, 2009 by Neal Stidham

1.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Marten Wanna-Be
Published on December 27, 2007 by J. Hernandez

4.0 out of 5 stars Caveat emptor, or, do your homework, July 22, 2009
A little research goes a long way: though most Dr. Martens are made at facilities in China or Thailand, they do offer a Vintage line that is still made at the Northampton factory. The difference is about US$60, but absolutely worth it. The soles still have "Made In England" embossed on them and everything. Thus, when ordering DMs, read carefully - only a few styles (the 1460, 1490, and 1914 boots and the 1461 shoes) are available from England, and only in particular colors.

Rule of thumb: the boots ranging to US$120 are manufactured in Asia, while the ones priced around US$180 are English. Many online retailers (including, sadly, Amazon itself) don't make the distinction.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've worn the same Docs daily for the better part of a decade and they are only now starting to give out, April 13, 2009
Don't believe the haters.

The Made in China vs. Made in England doesn't amount to a significant difference, just make sure that you are buying the correct leather finish to live up to your expectations and treat your boots (and feet) well.

If you prefer Made in England there is a 1460 classic reissue that is about $40 more than you'd pay here. I've been wearing Docs since 1987 and can testify that the shoe laces have always been of poor quality, but the boots themselves are the best and well worth the minuscule effort required to replace the laces.

The break-in period is a killer, unless you wear thick wool socks (or you're some genetic mutant that has been engineered with unusually durable skin) you'll probably end up with blistered heels. Cotton, lycra, acrylic, nylon, etc just won't cut it-- go with wool, thick squishy wool hunting socks.

After that its smooth sailing. They are comfy, tough, easy to care for (some linseed oil on the leather every so often does wonders) and frankly, they age well.

Since I have narrow feet (for a woman) I have problems wearing other brands of shoes-- the unisex sizing is perfect, there is plenty of room for my toes (which are freakishly long) without any excess width for my foot or heel to slip around. The boot toes and heels are strong, strong enough that my 130 lbs Great Dane can't crush them (and believe me, she has tried.) The ankles lace up tightly and neatly, so that my foot doesn't float or rub at all, even when I run (and I run in them all the time.)

My Docs have never lost their bounce from the air cushions or suffered any of the other maladies experienced by other reviewers-- all I can say is that for 20+ years of wearing Docs (and the 10 years that my son has worn them) we've never experienced those problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little different than the original, still good, April 26, 2011
First off, these are not the original 1960 Dr. Martens 1460. Things change, get over it. What *can* you buy today that's exactly as it was 50 years ago?

That said, these are still good boots. Yes, they're made in China or Thailand - so what? The Chinese and Thais don't know how to make good shoes? Some of the reviews I'm seeing here are borderline racist. Take it from someone who owns a Chinese, a Thai and a UK pair of Docs (two 1460's and one 1490) - yes, there are differences, but the Chinese and Thai boots don't lose in every category. In fact, they're more comfortable than the UK-made vintage line by about a factor of ten - I had to buy insoles for my UK 1460's or my feet felt like I was walking on rocks. The UK version may be a bit more durable, but then the UK version also costs about $80 more (listing for $200 now).

The Chinese and Thai 1460's still look great, feel great and will last a good long time if you take care of them properly. (Yes, even the shoelaces last - I wear my Chinese 1460's every day and have for 18 months, and I'm on my first pair of laces.) Anyone who says otherwise has some other agenda.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing better on the market, February 8, 2006
M. Daneker (Spinnerstown, Pa USA) - See all my reviews
Some people scoff, they say $100 + for boots, no way, too expensive! I have been wearing DR's for 10 years, and nothing else. Why? Because nothing holds up like DR. Martins.

Oddly my first pair ever fell apart after a couple of weeks, the stiching just fell out, but I exchanged them and have never had that problem since.

The average pair last me 2 - 3 years of everyday, non-stop wear. I where them all year around, on the sales floor, wharehouse or office, and everywhere I go. They will not come apart!

I only get new ones when the old ones look worn and stretched, and when the soles start to wear smooth (14 - 18 months of 8 - 14hr / day wear, seven days a week!) and then I keep the old pair for another 14 - 18 months for working outside or any dirty job I have to do where I don't want to damage my good pair.

I got married in DR. Martins, pollished with a new double-breasted suite! They look great with everything! Jeans, cargos, Dress clothes, shorts! I bought my wife a pair of dress sandles nearly three years ago, they still look like brand new!

These boots are forever.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Marten Wanna-Be, December 27, 2007
J. Hernandez (APO, AP United States) - See all my reviews
I just got a pair for Christmas after talking about them to a family member. I got very excited looking at the box as I took the wrapping off but the box was notably light-weight. Then I noticed a visible difference in the boots not having touched them yet. They looked like imposters even at first glance. I am not a shoe or boot connoisseur or snob but I do know I like quality. Examining them confirmed my unexpected let down. The leather is a lower grade that doesn't ever break-in and the soles feel to be of a stiffly cheaper rubber that wears faster. I took a look at the label to find unsurprisingly that they were made in China. Buy a new pair (made after 2003) if your after the name without the same quality. Buy a pre-2003 pair if you want a better pair of DMs.

1.0 out of 5 stars DMs are no longer DMs get Solovair, July 14, 2008
I have worn DMs for years but no longer. I bought a couple of pairs three years ago and later discovered that they are now made in various locations in the East and as a result they are without question sub standard. Further to this, surely it isn't ethical for an English standard like DMs to be taken away from the people who made it great, but then that's business...isn't it? I now wear Solovair 8 eyelet boots. These are made in Northampton, England by one of the companies that made the original Air Cushioned Soles for DMs, they also have the fully welted soles which DMs do not. In a nutshell, if you want honest, best quality made in England air cushioned soled boots like the original ones you can remember, then you need to buy Solovair.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great if you want the classic DM look..., September 27, 2010
however, if you are looking for the original "Made in England" Docs these are not it. I just received my Made in England Docs today and let me tell you, they are far better constructed. The leather actually feels like leather, it is stiff but with a little break in I'm sure this will subside. I have always owned the Made in China version before this and they serve their purpose of about 1 to 2 years of life and then throw them away. If you are looking for a boot that will last, spend a little extra money (only about $50) and get the real thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic boot that remains a classic to this day, June 7, 2007
T. Tom (SF Bay Area, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've been wearing Doc Marten books for years and have not found a better boot for every day type wear. Other boots tend to be too hiking oriented or not 'boss' enough (like the slip on dress boots that seem to be a bit popular right now).

Although I decry the fact that Dr. Marten's are now made in China, what can you do? If they were still made in England, they would probably cost upwards of US $300. I guess we win because we can buy them for just about $80. and while I feel the quality isn't quite as good as when they were made in England, the cheaper price makes up for it. But this is the reason I'm not giving them a full 5 stars-I feel a bit of their specialness and caché has been lost by them being outsourced to China.

I had the greasy finish ones previously and while the leather was initially a lot softer and more comfy, they didn't hold up as well. Mine developed a weird discoloration after a while and it wasn't my fault, I didn't do anything wrong. Also the the die rubbed off on my white socks which was annoying. I feel the smooth finish ones are more durable and they don't exhibit the same problems.

In all, I can recommnend this pair of boots, especially for the price. They will never go out of style and should provide you years of usage. They look equally as good with a pair of jeans or with a suit. Penn Jillette of magician duo Penn and Teller swears by these boots and wears that on stage every night. I've also seen many other performers wearing them on stage from Michael Stipe, Bono, Pattie Smith, Depeche mode and Iggy Pop. I think they are ubiquitous-comfortable, durable, and look good under practically any circumstance. I can go from a job interview to working on my car without having to change shoes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad, July 9, 2010
Got the China made boots in October. Been wearing them at work for 8 months now. I drive a truck and work in extremes of climates. From middle eastern 130F heat to midwestern USA -30 I have put these boots thru.

Sole barely has any wear, the leather is soft like a fine glove. Still waterproof with the kiwi wax once a month. Will take a spit shine.

Now the bad parts. The factory laces are junk. The laces are hard to get tight. The leather has stretched around the upper ankle and no longer provides good support when walking on rocks. The heel material inside the boot is like some kind of paper. Has worn out.

Suggest ordering 1/2 size smaller than what you normally use. The leather will stretch out to make the proper fit instead of becoming too loose if you get the normal size.

My second pair of Doc Marten boots. Not as good quality as the American made Wolverine or Red Wing boots, but then again those brands are not made in the USA anymore and suffer from China quality syndrome as well.

For serious work boots, order the American or UK made boots. The long life of those boots will repay you many times over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous boots, April 25, 2012
I bought these boots for myself as a Christmas gift and I absolutely love them!

When I first tried them on, I was very disappointed because the top was extremely tight across the top part of my foot, even if I adjusted the laces and the tongue of the shoe. I was debating on returning them or not but I'm very glad I didn't, because after I wore them once they got much more comfortable and now are super comfy.

They are just a great shoe overall - the comfort, the style, the design, everything. Highly recommended!

Dr. Martens 1460 Classic Boot