4.0 out of 5 stars Caveat emptor, or, do your homework
Published on July 22, 2009 by Neal Stidham

1.0 out of 5 stars DMs are no longer DMs get Solovair
Published on July 14, 2008 by GDW

4.0 out of 5 stars Caveat emptor, or, do your homework, July 22, 2009
A little research goes a long way: though most Dr. Martens are made at facilities in China or Thailand, they do offer a Vintage line that is still made at the Northampton factory. The difference is about US$60, but absolutely worth it. The soles still have "Made In England" embossed on them and everything. Thus, when ordering DMs, read carefully - only a few styles (the 1460, 1490, and 1914 boots and the 1461 shoes) are available from England, and only in particular colors.

Rule of thumb: the boots ranging to US$120 are manufactured in Asia, while the ones priced around US$180 are English. Many online retailers (including, sadly, Amazon itself) don't make the distinction.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've worn the same Docs daily for the better part of a decade and they are only now starting to give out, April 13, 2009
Don't believe the haters.

The Made in China vs. Made in England doesn't amount to a significant difference, just make sure that you are buying the correct leather finish to live up to your expectations and treat your boots (and feet) well.

If you prefer Made in England there is a 1460 classic reissue that is about $40 more than you'd pay here. I've been wearing Docs since 1987 and can testify that the shoe laces have always been of poor quality, but the boots themselves are the best and well worth the minuscule effort required to replace the laces.

The break-in period is a killer, unless you wear thick wool socks (or you're some genetic mutant that has been engineered with unusually durable skin) you'll probably end up with blistered heels. Cotton, lycra, acrylic, nylon, etc just won't cut it-- go with wool, thick squishy wool hunting socks.

After that its smooth sailing. They are comfy, tough, easy to care for (some linseed oil on the leather every so often does wonders) and frankly, they age well.

Since I have narrow feet (for a woman) I have problems wearing other brands of shoes-- the unisex sizing is perfect, there is plenty of room for my toes (which are freakishly long) without any excess width for my foot or heel to slip around. The boot toes and heels are strong, strong enough that my 130 lbs Great Dane can't crush them (and believe me, she has tried.) The ankles lace up tightly and neatly, so that my foot doesn't float or rub at all, even when I run (and I run in them all the time.)

My Docs have never lost their bounce from the air cushions or suffered any of the other maladies experienced by other reviewers-- all I can say is that for 20+ years of wearing Docs (and the 10 years that my son has worn them) we've never experienced those problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing better on the market, February 8, 2006
M. Daneker (Spinnerstown, Pa USA) - See all my reviews
Some people scoff, they say $100 + for boots, no way, too expensive! I have been wearing DR's for 10 years, and nothing else. Why? Because nothing holds up like DR. Martins.

Oddly my first pair ever fell apart after a couple of weeks, the stiching just fell out, but I exchanged them and have never had that problem since.

The average pair last me 2 - 3 years of everyday, non-stop wear. I where them all year around, on the sales floor, wharehouse or office, and everywhere I go. They will not come apart!

I only get new ones when the old ones look worn and stretched, and when the soles start to wear smooth (14 - 18 months of 8 - 14hr / day wear, seven days a week!) and then I keep the old pair for another 14 - 18 months for working outside or any dirty job I have to do where I don't want to damage my good pair.

I got married in DR. Martins, pollished with a new double-breasted suite! They look great with everything! Jeans, cargos, Dress clothes, shorts! I bought my wife a pair of dress sandles nearly three years ago, they still look like brand new!

These boots are forever.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little different than the original, still good, April 26, 2011
First off, these are not the original 1960 Dr. Martens 1460. Things change, get over it. What *can* you buy today that's exactly as it was 50 years ago?

That said, these are still good boots. Yes, they're made in China or Thailand - so what? The Chinese and Thais don't know how to make good shoes? Some of the reviews I'm seeing here are borderline racist. Take it from someone who owns a Chinese, a Thai and a UK pair of Docs (two 1460's and one 1490) - yes, there are differences, but the Chinese and Thai boots don't lose in every category. In fact, they're more comfortable than the UK-made vintage line by about a factor of ten - I had to buy insoles for my UK 1460's or my feet felt like I was walking on rocks. The UK version may be a bit more durable, but then the UK version also costs about $80 more (listing for $200 now).

The Chinese and Thai 1460's still look great, feel great and will last a good long time if you take care of them properly. (Yes, even the shoelaces last - I wear my Chinese 1460's every day and have for 18 months, and I'm on my first pair of laces.) Anyone who says otherwise has some other agenda.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous boots, April 25, 2012
I bought these boots for myself as a Christmas gift and I absolutely love them!

When I first tried them on, I was very disappointed because the top was extremely tight across the top part of my foot, even if I adjusted the laces and the tongue of the shoe. I was debating on returning them or not but I'm very glad I didn't, because after I wore them once they got much more comfortable and now are super comfy.

They are just a great shoe overall - the comfort, the style, the design, everything. Highly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars DMs are no longer DMs get Solovair, July 14, 2008
I have worn DMs for years but no longer. I bought a couple of pairs three years ago and later discovered that they are now made in various locations in the East and as a result they are without question sub standard. Further to this, surely it isn't ethical for an English standard like DMs to be taken away from the people who made it great, but then that's business...isn't it? I now wear Solovair 8 eyelet boots. These are made in Northampton, England by one of the companies that made the original Air Cushioned Soles for DMs, they also have the fully welted soles which DMs do not. In a nutshell, if you want honest, best quality made in England air cushioned soled boots like the original ones you can remember, then you need to buy Solovair.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, March 14, 2007
dave the rave (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I felt like revisiting my youth during high school and got a pair for my birthday. I

should have researched the fact that they are made in China now. They certainly felt different when I put them on and some product flaws I experienced in the past are still present: the cheap shoelaces lasted 2 weeks, YOU MUST buy inserts soles of some kind,

and the fabric on the inside heels(both shoes) deteriorated somewhat causing discomfort especially if you wear thin or cheap socks. You shouldn't have to augment a shoe that costs $100. This all happened once again within the space of a month. Oh well, that's what you get for shopping for shoes online. But hey, they look great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as the old ones., March 14, 2008
I just got a pair of the hot pink patent 1460s, and they're almost as good as the UK-made Dr. Martens boots I wore in the 90s. These are made in Thailand. The "leather" is actually bicast, which is reconstituted leather put into molds and coated with polyurethane. So it's cheap and not meant to last. That said, it's some of the softest bicast I've handled. The boots only took 2 or 3 days to break in, and now they're some of the most comfortable footwear I own. VERY flexible soles. Not as sturdy as the old UK made Docs, but considerably more flexible than the Chinese made Dr. Martens I've handled in stores.

Basically, they ain't what they used to be, but at least they're more comfortable than they have been.

And they look great!

1.0 out of 5 stars Chinese Doc Martens are Crap, January 10, 2013
This review is from: Dr. Martens 1460 Classic Boot (Apparel)
I WORE DOC MARTENS IN 1960s/70s THEY WERE MADE IN NORTHAMPTON ENGLAND THEY WERE BRILLIANT THEY WERE SOFT LEATHER INSIDE AND OUTSIDE GREAT TO WEAR VERY COMFORTABLE THEY COST AROUND 4 WEEKS WAGES THEN BUT WORTH SAVING FOR, SO AS YEARS PASS LIKE ALL GOOD THINGS THEY FADE AWAY WHEN WEARING FOR WORK AND PLEASURE, IM AN ELDERLY MAN NOW AND DECIDED IM GOING TO GET A PAIR OF DOCs SENT AWAY ONLINE AS I TAKE A SIZE 14 UK HAD TO TAKE A US15 AS THEY DIDNT SELL IN BRITAIN ANY LARGER THAN 10 UK, SO THEY CAME I TRIED THEM ON STRAIGHT AWAY THOUGHT THESE ARE FAKE, THESE ARENT REAL,CALLED A OLD PAL ASKED IF HE STILL HAD HIS OLD DOCS LYING AROUND HE SAID YES WILL BRING OVER WE CHECKED THEY LOOKED SIMILAR BUT ONLY IN COLOUR, THE QUALITY OF LEATHER WAS RUBBISH, NEW ONES FELT LIKE THIN CARDBOARD IN FACT CUT A BIT OFF TONGUE TO CHECK WITH MY PALS, 100% DIFFERENCE, NEW ONES WERENT DOC MARTENS WE KNEW AND TREASURED, WAS THEN INFORMED NOT MADE IN NORTHAMPTON MADE IN LAND OF A MILLION FAKES, "CHINA" FACTORYS ALL MOVED SO BOOTS CAN BE MADE FOR A BOWL OF RICE PER DAY FOR WORKERS,,SEEMS THAT DOC MARTEN CANT GIVE WORK TO UNEMPLOYED IN BRITAIN BECAUSE BRITS WOULD WORK OR A BOWL OF RICE,PROFITS IS WHAT IT HAS COME TO QUALITY DOESNT MATTER ANYMORE AS LONG AS DIRECTORS GET BIG DIVIDENDS,, ALL YOU PEOPLE IN BRITAIN AND USA ARE WASTING YOUR MONEY BUYING DOC MARTENS MADE IN CHINA, THEY ARE 100000% TOTAL WASTE OF CASH..WHY NOT JUST BUY PAIR OF BRITISH ARMY BOOTS OR AMERICAN ARMY BOOTS HALF THE COST AND WILL LAST LONGER.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Marten Wanna-Be, December 27, 2007
J. Hernandez (APO, AP United States) - See all my reviews
I just got a pair for Christmas after talking about them to a family member. I got very excited looking at the box as I took the wrapping off but the box was notably light-weight. Then I noticed a visible difference in the boots not having touched them yet. They looked like imposters even at first glance. I am not a shoe or boot connoisseur or snob but I do know I like quality. Examining them confirmed my unexpected let down. The leather is a lower grade that doesn't ever break-in and the soles feel to be of a stiffly cheaper rubber that wears faster. I took a look at the label to find unsurprisingly that they were made in China. Buy a new pair (made after 2003) if your after the name without the same quality. Buy a pre-2003 pair if you want a better pair of DMs.

Dr. Martens 1460 Classic Boot