Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dr. Martens 1460 Originals Union Jack 8 Eye Lace Up Boot
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 8, 2013
This is my first pair of Dr. Martens, and I absolutely love them. People compliment on it whenever I wear them with black outfit, in order to let this pair of awesome shoes stand out (and they do!)

The only problem I have with Doc Martens is their sizing. I wear a 5.5 in UK sizing, and I had to choose a 6 (which is HUGE; I could fit my thumb or more in the gap) or a 5 which would squish my toes. Eventually, I went for a size 6, and bought the comfort insole wearing either thick socks or two layers of cotton. It helped a lot and now the size 6 fits.

When you wear the boots, you'd at least need to wear thick hiking socks to break into them, else face the consequences of multiple blisters (wearing regular socks, I had a huge blister on my right heel which popped, and I couldn't wear anything but flip-flops for a week.)

In doubt with .5's , go up a size. Although (yes, they're leather) they'll loosen up someday, you won't be able to wear them for good periods of time. Boots are supposed to be "larger", anyway. Make sure they fit after getting the insoles and socks though; if they still don't work, that means the boots are too big for you and that you should go down a size.
on August 21, 2013
Absolutely LOVE my new boots! They fit beautifully and look incredibly cool. I've always loved DMs quality and these look like another great pair of boots which will last me for years. This style (union jack) seems to have a little more room in the instep, which is great if you have a high arch (like I do). Brilliant!!!
on September 12, 2013
-Style: A+
The "Union Jack" boot looks fantastic. I wear them with jeans and they really pop.

Break in Period: A
I had no pain with these boots. I was most likely due to the size I got (US Men's 11)

-Sizing: B
The sizing is a bit off. The newer Dr. Martens tend to run smaller than I remember. I recently bought a size 10 in a 1460 boot Dr. Martens and they were killer on my feet! They were too short on the toes! My toes reached the end! So when I picked up the Union Jacks I decided to get a size 11 as there is no half sizes, but now they are too roomy, so an extra pair of socks helped.

Also I have a pair of 20 year old Electric Blue UK Na-Na Dr. Martens in size 10 that fit perfect. So I'm not sure if it's the recent outsourcing that made the size discrepancies.

On a foot scale I size at 9.5 on a men's sizing chart. Below are some other shoes that I wear to help you get an idea how they will fit.

For PF Flyers, I fit perfect in a size US Men's 10
For All-Stars, I fit perfect in US Men's 9
For DCs, I fit perfect in a size US Men's 10
For the newer Dr. Martens, size US Men's 10 the length is too short and a size US Men's 11 is just a tab on the loose size.

-Final: A
Overall, the Union Jacks are awesome. I'm just nick-picking on the size, but you should try on a pair in store before buying online to avoid having to return them. Also, you might need to add some silicone oil to the seam of the boot that meets the Goodyear-welted with the yellow stitching as they tend to squeak when you walk.
on October 28, 2015
Saw the bold Union Jack design and ordered right away! I wear 8.5-9 women's U.S. but I ordered the UK6. For me they are perfect with medium weight wool socks. Since I'm used to hiking boots, these aren't difficult to break in. I followed advice and rubbed some of the official Dr. Marten balm into them. I plan to happily clomp around in these for years. Love them! The perfect trophy for my shoe collection after enjoying many happy months in the UK.
on August 9, 2013
These boots are amazing to look at. Every time I wear them I receive a ton of compliments! And yes, they are comfortable as well! As for the sizing, I would order 1-2 sizes smaller. I usually wear size 8, but after reading some reviews I did order a size down to a 7, but feel that a 6 would have worked as well!
on January 28, 2016
These are beautiful Doc's. If any of you have worn Doc's then you're already aware of their legendary stiffness until you break them in. I can only assume it is because of the extra leather on these boots (to make the union jack design) but they didn't have that crazy tightness across the top of my foot like all other docs do. They were definitely stiff but I wore them to work for 8 hours (standing and walking) and had very little trouble, I didn't even feel anything until I got home and took them off and noticed the bottoms of my feet were a little bit tender. I continued to wear them for the next couple days and had no issues. I very much recommend them.

It drives me nuts when people talk about how difficult the sizing is and then do not post any specifics about their size and what worked for them! Simply saying they are too small or too big is not helpful and super annoying. I typically where an 8.5 in American sizes, always have. But in these docs a UK 6 (US 8) fits perfectly. I have several pairs of Doc Martens and all of the "newer" Docs, the one's NOT made in England, the UK 6 fits me perfectly. Now in the original made in England Doc's I need a UK 7 because the UK 6 is too small.

That being said any of these Doc's that you buy on Amazon are going to be the "newer" ones that are made in China/Thailand/Vietnam and I take a UK 6 in all of those and they fit perfectly. On a side note I will say that I find the Made in England Doc's to be WAY less comfortable than the newer Asian made ones, even after being broken in. I know a lot of people will give me guff but in my experience the newer Doc's that are NOT being made in England are better quality and significantly more comfortable than any of the "vintage, original" Doc's. But that is just my opinion.
on April 23, 2016
Wow, what a beautiful pair of boots. Couldn't wait to try them on. I'm a USA 11 normal width and after reading the fit chart and the comments from other buyers, I should step down a size in British, In other words, a 10 British should supply ample room for my size 11 feet.

They did not. Actually when they first arrived and after I finished admiring the craftmanship of this boot with its smooth black leather and Union Jack toe design, I though they looked a little short. I ran upstairs and held them sole to sole with a Cole Haan loafer. The coal hanan has more of a pointed toe but it was at least one inch longer than the Docs. I then did the same for a Cole Haan hiking shoe', size 11, and the difference was alarming. Similar shaped toes but these Cole Haan shoes were about 3/4 of an inch longer than the Docs size 10 British.

The n to try them on, and sure enough with socks my toes for more than crammed into the toe section. It would be uncomfortable to wear these to the front door.

I've sent them back and am going with a British 11 that supposedly is a USA 12. I'm hoping that is the perfect size.
on September 8, 2015
First, let me be clear that these are great boots. They look fantastic and, though these particular boots aren't made in England, the construction is solid. The leather is supple and has just the right amount of sheen. That's why they earned the five-star rating.

The issue, which I can't ding the boots for, is that they run small. I wear a US 9 in virtually everything, including the Dr. Martens oxfords I own. So, as you might expect, I was surprised when these didn't fit. I could barely squeeze my foot in. Amazon's return policy is great, of course, so I simply returned them and have a US 10 on order.

For what it's worth the issue seems to be with width; my toes weren't pressing against the end, but my foot was squished at the sides, specifically at their widest point.

UPDATE: I purchased a boot stretcher (FootFitter Premium Professional Boot Stretcher) and some leather stretch spray (Professional Boot & Shoe Leather Stretch) to address the width issue because I got a little tired of my feet hurting after a couple of hours in the boots. It worked very well, and if you find that they're too narrow I'd recommend using this combination to speed the break-in process.
on September 27, 2015
These were purchased as a birthday gift for my teenaged son. He saw them and instantly fell in love.
They're his first pair of Docs, but not my first purchase of them. They're perfectly bold and heavy and seem to be withstanding daily wear.
He has a fair bit of trouble finding shoes that are comfortable and he's so far had no complaints with these. I foresee years of wear out of these boots and a lifelong love affair with Doc Marten's.
on October 16, 2015
These shoes arrived in the same box as any Doc Marten, but they just felt like cheap crappy boot facsimilies. I swear this is true: My Russian Blue Cat looked at them meowed and ran into another room. when I followed him into the room, he ran away from me and MY BOOTS. I sent them back to the seller, who had fast shipping and great return policies. I have six other pairs of Doc Martens and love them all! These, not so much.