on November 16, 2011
Cool boot but there are some things to be aware of. First, they do run on the large side, maybe about half a size. Also, color: if you order black, do not be surprised if they look like a stone grey. Don't assume you got the wrong boot. This is a polish or wax that was added over the darker charcoal/black leather underneath. On the tag attached to the boot, it says to buff it off with a cloth. Creates a cool look, like a two-toned effect.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 6, 2012
I hunted until I managed to get a pair in the Black Mirage, and a pair in the Black Savannah. I collect Dr. Martens boots, and these are by far my favorites.

Sizing: I normally wear a 6.5-7, so I usually buy UK 5 in Dr. Martens, and these in a 5 fit perfectly.

The Black Mirage (which Amazon has labeled as simply "Black") are super soft leather, almost like socks, with pink and gray plaid flannel inside. The leather has a weird optical effect that makes it appear dusty black in some lights, and muted gray or army green in some lights. Before buying new ones, I did a lot of shopping for used ones, and they don't seem to hold up well. Be aware that these will get dented and dinged up and lose their shape really quickly, the thin flannel lining will probably tear, and the buckles tarnish, but they still look great, like well-worn, punky, vintage boots when worn, even if they look sad and shapeless in your closet.

The Black Savannah (which Amazon labels as "Black Noir") are harder leather, but flexible and comfortable, with a coat of white wax that makes them appear gray. The wax is meant to rub and scratch off with wear to give them a vintage look and show the black underneath. They have a black, pink, and yellow floral fabric inside, that is like a stiff calico fabric. These are unlikely to lose their shape as fast as the soft Mirage leather boots.

Both pairs come with regular flat laces and gorgeous ribbon laces which are easily snagged and frayed, but could be easily replaced with ribbon from a craft store and some tape on the ends.

These boots look so cool when you put them on. They are stunning. I wish they offered the purple ones and the dark brown shearling in the US that are currently only offered in the UK.
on February 16, 2012
I just got these boots last night and they really do look better in person! I purchased the Black (not the Black Noir) so I can really only talk for this specific style that these 1914 boots come in.

The leather for this version is very soft and flexible, so I'm not expecting an issue with breaking them in. I really like the duo shoe laces you get with these: a silky ribbon lace and a sturdy flat lace. I'm planning on wearing these for casual, any day use, so I'm currently using the sturdy flat lace. The ribbon lace would be great to give an outfit a more girlish touch. These boots are pretty fierce looking, but the ribbon gives them a softer look.

Now, for my opinion on the sizing. I'm usually a solid 10.5 in women shoes. Which left me in a bit of a pickle since Dr Martens does not make half sizes in this boot. I did do a little researching and found that Dr Martens are almost always spot on with their sizing. On their website they state that an 8UK is 9.5-10US and that a 9UK is 10.5-11US. So, better safe than sorry, I ordered the 9UK. I do have extra room (because they are 10.5-11) but if I wear thick socks or wear two socks over one another they feel just great.
on December 26, 2012
I bought these boots (not on amazon) in 2008 and now, 4 years later, I'm ready to write my review. I instantly fell in love with these boots after seeing them in the Free People catalogue. They were overpriced (of course) and I was thrilled to find them online at a cheaper price. These boots were my first pair of Doc Martens and my first pair of combat boots, and I couldn't be happier. Years later I still love and adore them. At the time the only ones available were the black (not the ones with the wax) with plaid and so that's what I'm reviewing.

Here are a few things to consider before purchasing:

- - - Size: These boots run LARGE. I ordered mine online in my normal size (7). They have always been too big on me but I couldn't stand to part with them to get the correct size. I have been wearing them with gel inserts (they're too big otherwise) and perhaps that's why they're so comfortable for me.

- - - Breaking Them In: Like most boots you'll have to break these suckers in. I remember them being a bit uncomfortable at first, but I can't remember how long it took to fully break them in. You just need to give it time and not expect for them to come out of the box ready for hours of wear.

- - - Soft Leather: Like I said, these are one of the most comfortable boots I own. Their soft leather makes them look as comfortable as they feel. The tops flop over when they're off my feet because of how soft this leather is. (I have seen other Doc Martens in stores that are made with stiff leather, those boots are NOTHING like the Triumphs!) Mine have worn considerably (I have never used wax or anything to preserve the color) and now my black looks a bit green. Now they just look like they get a lot of wear -which they do.

- - - Weather: Now that I live in Vermont these are no longer my go-to winter boots. The main reason being the snow. (Realistically, most leather boots aren't made for wet conditions.) I have never water proofed these (maybe I should?). I save these for the nicer days while my Timberland Women's Earthkeepers Mount Holly Tall Lace Duck Boot are the water proof boots I reach for in the cold rain or snow.

- - - Time: These are lace up boots (they do not have a zipper! This is something I LOVE!). Although I don't undo the laces all the way, I am one to normally take my shoes off when entering a house. I have to sit down to take them off and put them on, and I usually don't tie them all the way up. I find myself wearing these inside my house more often than any of my other shoes due to convenience.

- - - Girlie Interiors: I LOVED that these were a masculine type boot (let's be real, combat boots are masculine) with a super girlie interior. I consider myself a kick-ass girl and thought these boots were PERFECT for my personality. Realistically, no one sees the inside while I'm wearing them. I thought I would wear them folded down occasionally, but it never looks as good as wearing them up.

- - - The Edge: I always laugh with my friends that people are less likely to approach me if I'm wearing these boots tied all the way to the top. Including people at malls who want to sell me things or guys-who-I-rather-not-ask-me-out. If I want to be a bit more approachable I tie them at the 8th eyelet, leaving 4 open but not folded down. I'm not really sure if anyone else pays attention but I think it helps 'soften' the look.

- - - Laces: My boots came with 2 set of laces (I did not get mine on amazon): regular black and ribbon. I LOVE the ribbon laces -how cute are they? The pink tips came off within the first 2 years leaving my ribbon laces to fray. I have tried to repair them (and still only use these broken laces) and have been searching for a way to purchase another pair. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find replacement RIBBON laces anywhere. Last year I wrote to Doc Marten and have not heard back. If I found replacement laces, I would buy them in a heartbeat.

- - - Weight: Together, this pair weighs close to 3 pounds. When I first purchased them I wasn't used to wearing heavy boots but now it's not something I think about. The weight never stops me from putting these things on. However, I have always had super thin legs, and I love how the added bulk makes me look; I even wear them over my skinny jeans. I have had friends with fuller calves tell me they hated how the boots look on them. Like most combat boots they're chunky.

- - - Noise: The buckle (useless to me) in the back (made to attach to the top if you want to wear them folded down -I never do) jingles while you walk. EVERY SINGLE STEP jingles. It never fazed me (the New Yorker who has always been used to noise) but sometimes it irritates people I'm out with (they get over it). These are not the boots to wear if you're trying to be discreet.

Overall, if I didn't already have these boots would I purchase them? Absolutely. They have been exactly what I was looking for despite the issues mentioned above. I don't think any of them are a particularly big deal, but think it's good to know before investing in boots. I have been wearing mine for 4 years now and they are still holding up great. I have not encountered a single problem and I can't even diagnose what may need repairing down the road. These boots are really well made, I am truly impressed.

Doc Martens if you're reading this:
I'm not sure what you have changed with the newer models. (I have never seen these boots in stores, even when I was looking hard and living in NY.) If I could change anything about this boot, I would only leave out the buckle (and I guess the strap on the top that attaches to it). However, I would LOVE if you offered the black ribbon laces separately! (Please consider?)
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 29, 2011
I've always wanted a sexy pair of Dr. Martens. I've searched high and low for a pair that I would be able to wear to work and the Triumph 1914 are perfect! They are so fierce looking but the ribbon as a shoestring gives it that girly touch. They are so comfortable ( I work in retail all day) and just a dream to look at. I've gotten nothing but compliments since I put them on. Love it! Oh yeah, and one important thing for me, was that I have bigger calves and these are roomy enough that I don't look like I had to try too hard to get them to fit, because they tied just fine for me. :)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 19, 2012
I ordered the Black Noir. I just got these boots yesterday. It was a struggle to take them off last night, because I felt like a kid on Christmas that wants to sleep curled up next to their pile of goodies.

Alright, lets talk about the actual fit. Perfection. They fit like a dream, I can only see them getting more and more comfortable. Very true to size, and being a size 18(clothing), I have a wider foot and calves than the average girl. I could see them fitting a slimmer girl just as well, they have a magic "sisterhood of the traveling pants" effect.

Is it okay to admit I drooled a little when I opened the box? Words cannot describe how beautiful they are. Oh god, the black flower lining, it's stunning too! They have this extravagant steam punk/Victorian/industrial feel. BEAUTIFUL!

Just to let you know, they are a light grey charcoal (that I'm happy with, and knew to expect). However, if you actually read the tag attached to the boot it explains what kind of finish it is (wax), and how to make the color darker or aged if you want. So, if you go into this purchase open minded and just wanting a beautiful combat boot you'll be happy. Enjoy! I know I will.
on March 3, 2014
I ordered a UK size 9 in these (I wear a US size 11) and they fit very well. The toe is a little bit roomy but not enough that I'd say the fit too large. I have somewhat wide feet, but not wide enough to usually have to buy a W size shoe, and they are great on width. If you lace them too tightly, the ankle part can be irritating when you have them all the way laced up, but that's easily solved by loosening them just a bit. I don't like how long they take to lace up and unlace but that's just personal laziness. They came with two different types of laces, big silky ones and smaller normal ones, but both are long enough to lace all the way up. I wish they had included some shorter laces for when you wear them folded down, but worst case you can buy extra or tuck them into your shoe. My only complaints are that they are not very flattering, they make my feet look HUGE (which they are, but still) and the buckles on the back to fold them down are noisy when you walk if they are laced up. Also they scuff rather easily and do look greenish in the light. I'll have to get some polish. But overall, they fit well, they're comfortable, and very sturdily made. I've only had them for a week or two so far but I enjoy them. Would I buy them again for almost $100? Probably not, but I'm cheap.
(Edit: I also dislike how the tongue looks when you fold them down, it's just long and floppy, but I learned to tuck them under the laces, with either the leather or fabric showing, and they look just fine)
review image review image review image review image
on July 8, 2011
All i have ever wanted was a pair of docs. i found these and i was madly in love with them. For my 18th birthday my dad said i could have any pair i wanted and i picked these. i LOVE them. They took a while to break in, but now that they are broken in i LOVE them. i wear them everyday to school (of which i stand all day 40 hours a WEEK.) i whole heartedly recommend these boots.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2014
Got these a day late but thats all I can say I was upest about.
If anyone is confused with the sizing and price difference. Im a size 9 in US that converts to 7UK. I bought the 7UK for only 96 dollars. Im not sure why the price went up to 146!. They are the exact same boots. They fit perfectly. I have pretty big calves. Im 16 inches around where the boot comes up to and they fit me and lace all the way up. I can wear thick socks with them if i wasnt wearing any jeans and I can wear jeans with them if not any thick socks and they still lace up all the way.
on October 2, 2013
What I recieved looked nothing like the picture. First of all the boots I recieved are GREEN! Not black. Second of all they are a dull scratched off texture and not shiny black.

*update* low and behold the new pair they sent are green too. I guess I have a difference of opinion when it comes to something that is forest green and the color black. Everyone who has seen the boots they mailed me agree the color is a dark green. Why everyone commenting on these boots have failed to mention this is beyond me. For over $100 I want quality nice BLACK leather boots!