4.0 out of 5 stars Bland but filling
Having tried & adored most of this brand's soup cups, I eagerly grabbed a cup of their lentil & couscous soup. Thirty minutes later, I was pretty underwhelmed by the experience.

Published on July 8, 2009 by ChibiNeko

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great
Published on July 22, 2010 by M. J. Roth

4.0 out of 5 stars Bland but filling, July 8, 2009
This review is from: Dr. McDougall's Right Foods Vegan Lentil Couscous Soup, Lower Sodium, 2.1-Ounce Cups (Pack of 6) (Grocery)

The soup may have less sodium, but it is incredibly bland tasting. It doesn't need salt, but a pinch of extra seasoning would have helped the taste. This may be great for some, but for me it would deter me from purchasing more of this product unless I were to get some extra seasoning to dump in it.

The best part of the soup is that it is incredibly filling- even more so than some of McDougall's other products. It's just that I'd rather have something that tastes good rather than something that is filling. If you don't mind bland food or can season it to perfection, get this product. If you are like me & just don't have the time to season food at work, you may want to skip this & give their other products a try.

*Oh, and I recommend letting this sit for 8 minutes rather than 5. It made the lentils & couscous much more tender!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very filling, great if you are on a diet!, July 28, 2009
I agree with the other reviewers who commented on the filling aspects of this product. I had no idea that 190 calories could keep me full for over 4 hours! For someone who is having a rought time losing the baby weight after child number 2, this food is awesome! True, the taste can be a little bland... but I've played around with some spices to make it a little more interesting. But honestly, it doesn't taste bad and I love a) the convenience and b) the fullness factor. I will be buying this product again shortly.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a nice surprise!, June 18, 2012
Jim K. (Scottsdale, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent product! I know many reviewers have written that it has a lousy taste, or no taste, but in my opinion it is very flavorful. To me, it has sort of a spicy flavor that is not overwhelming. The primary reason for eating McDougall's products is to enjoy a healthier lifestyle. When I think of all the fast food that people think is flavorful, it makes me nauseous.

The ingredients absorb all the water so it will be thick. You can add more water if you like. My first cup turned out perfect, and although this is a smaller-size cup it was a lot to eat. I actually had this for my breakfast and I stayed and felt full all morning! Actually there are only 180 calories, so that is fantastic. Prepare yourself for a lot of gas after consuming this, but that can usually be expected after eating something so healthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, quick and easy healthy meal!, January 28, 2012
Reading some of the reviews for this, I was worried it would be tasteless drool...but it is very well seasoned. The "blandness" so often mentioned by others is due to the lack of salt...and this is a "Lower Sodium" soup, so I'm not sure what else people expect. The fact is, other seasonings cannot make up for lack of salt. You can add other (non-sodium) seasonings and change the flavor, but it will still have something "missing". I believe tastes very good as it is, or you can "spice it up" if you want.

This soup is also very healthy (especially considering other "quick" meal or snack options)...try getting the same fiber and protein, with almost no fat or sugar and only 190 calories, in anything else this warm and filling. Now, others seem to have tried to compare it to soup from a five-star restaurant, complaining of missing "distinct flavor notes" and incorrect "texture"...this is dehydrated soup in a cup, people! I prepared it with hot water, and let it sit for over 5 minutes. The soup was not "mushy" at all...the couscous was fine, the lentils were quite soft, but they did not break up into a nebulous grey glob or anything. It is what it is, and for an instant "cup of soup", it is excellent!

Considering how easy it is to store and make, the quality of ingredients, how healthy it is for a fairly filling quick meal or snack, and how inexpensive it is (the cost breaks down to less than the cost of a can of name-brand soup at the supermarket)...I am going to be buying this again for sure!

5.0 out of 5 stars great diet food, June 19, 2009
deee333 (Central Oregon) - See all my reviews
Dr. McDougall's Right Foods Vegan Lentil Couscous Soup, 2.1-Ounce Cups (Pack of 6). I've tried Jenny Craig and the other nutrisystem pre-packaged food to lose weight. Most of their food is very high is sodium, tasteless, and they carry a limited vegan/vegetarian selection. On average, when you buy the extra grocery items, the cost of food $12-15. daily. I've discovered I can buy better tasting and low priced items on Amazon.
This is a single serving (careful some of his products list nutrition info for 2 servings for one container). The high fiber fills you up. It's warm, good natural source of iron, Vit. A and protein. To help me lose weigh and eat correctly, I've been using a free food diary and analysis site (caloriecount dot about dot com). They give this product an A minus for nutritional value.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great, July 22, 2010
Like many high-carbohydrate instant "soups," the Lentil Couscous Soup is more couscous than soup. Preparation is easy, although mine boiled over when prepared according to the very precise (1 minute, 40 seconds) cooking time in the instructions. I would have preferred a more vague time endpoint and directions to watch for boiling. The resulting food is quite bland as other reviewers have noted, and what this "low-sodium" (330 mg) soup really needed was more salt. The flavors that were present were nondescript, neither the couscous nor the lentils providing a distinctive flavor note. I kept looking at the package to see what kind of flavor I should have been expecting. The texture was also pretty monotonous, and the couscous itself did not have the best texture, which was disappointing because good couscous is not that hard to make. As for healthy eating, the product is essentially pasta with lentils added to provide some protein and fiber, and with 37 grams of carbs the 190 calories are pretty empty -- not all that much different from macaroni with low-fat cheese. I'm glad I tried it, I won't mind eating the other 5 cups in the pack, but I won't be buying it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesomely good!, May 17, 2012
This flavor is awesomely good, in my opinion. I recently ordered 5 different varieties of Dr. McDougall's soups, and this flavor quickly became my favorite. I just ordered several more 6-packs of the lentil couscous soup.

I was looking for high fiber, and this soup has lots of fiber. My stomach is pretty finicky, but the only problem this product caused me was a craving for more.

Some people complained about it not having enough salt, but the label says "lower sodium," for goodness sakes! Duh! Anyway,I would have preferred even less sodium. For me, the flavor is great!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, February 28, 2011
I have really enjoyed other Dr. McDougall products, but not this one. It was really bland and needs to be cooked longer than on the directions. I gave it 2 tries, but couldn't finish either.

2.0 out of 5 stars tastless, February 8, 2010
Sorry to say I thought it was tastless...not good at all...I even through out part of the one cup I made...unfortunately I am stuck with 5 of them I cannot eat because they will not take them back...JudyK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but the package directions do not allow this to be the best it can be., April 10, 2014
The first thing I noticed about this product compared to other Dr. McDougall's soups, is that this one does not say it is soup on the cup. Every other soup they make states that it is soup. The only other product that doesn't say that it is soup is their black beans and rice, but that is beyond the point - just an observation.

A big thing I noticed about this "soup" is that if you follow the directions, it is very bland and slightly unappetizing. However, I found that with this cup, along with the comparable West Nile brand Lentil Couscous Curry which has full sodium content, that if you do not fill the cup to the fill line with water it tastes wonderful. It makes a good solid couscous experience and there is a full and robust flavor.

I don't know why this brand and West Nile have the same directions to add more water, but why not ENJOY the food and reap its benefits when added water just makes it bland.

Rate and Discover Movies