Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

VINE VOICEon July 8, 2009
Having tried & adored most of this brand's soup cups, I eagerly grabbed a cup of their lentil & couscous soup. Thirty minutes later, I was pretty underwhelmed by the experience.

The soup may have less sodium, but it is incredibly bland tasting. It doesn't need salt, but a pinch of extra seasoning would have helped the taste. This may be great for some, but for me it would deter me from purchasing more of this product unless I were to get some extra seasoning to dump in it.

The best part of the soup is that it is incredibly filling- even more so than some of McDougall's other products. It's just that I'd rather have something that tastes good rather than something that is filling. If you don't mind bland food or can season it to perfection, get this product. If you are like me & just don't have the time to season food at work, you may want to skip this & give their other products a try.

*Oh, and I recommend letting this sit for 8 minutes rather than 5. It made the lentils & couscous much more tender!
66 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2009
I agree with the other reviewers who commented on the filling aspects of this product. I had no idea that 190 calories could keep me full for over 4 hours! For someone who is having a rought time losing the baby weight after child number 2, this food is awesome! True, the taste can be a little bland... but I've played around with some spices to make it a little more interesting. But honestly, it doesn't taste bad and I love a) the convenience and b) the fullness factor. I will be buying this product again shortly.
on January 28, 2012
Reading some of the reviews for this, I was worried it would be tasteless drool...but it is very well seasoned. The "blandness" so often mentioned by others is due to the lack of salt...and this is a "Lower Sodium" soup, so I'm not sure what else people expect. The fact is, other seasonings cannot make up for lack of salt. You can add other (non-sodium) seasonings and change the flavor, but it will still have something "missing". I believe tastes very good as it is, or you can "spice it up" if you want.

This soup is also very healthy (especially considering other "quick" meal or snack options)...try getting the same fiber and protein, with almost no fat or sugar and only 190 calories, in anything else this warm and filling. Now, others seem to have tried to compare it to soup from a five-star restaurant, complaining of missing "distinct flavor notes" and incorrect "texture"...this is dehydrated soup in a cup, people! I prepared it with hot water, and let it sit for over 5 minutes. The soup was not "mushy" at all...the couscous was fine, the lentils were quite soft, but they did not break up into a nebulous grey glob or anything. It is what it is, and for an instant "cup of soup", it is excellent!

Considering how easy it is to store and make, the quality of ingredients, how healthy it is for a fairly filling quick meal or snack, and how inexpensive it is (the cost breaks down to less than the cost of a can of name-brand soup at the supermarket)...I am going to be buying this again for sure!
on June 18, 2012
This is an excellent product! I know many reviewers have written that it has a lousy taste, or no taste, but in my opinion it is very flavorful. To me, it has sort of a spicy flavor that is not overwhelming. The primary reason for eating McDougall's products is to enjoy a healthier lifestyle. When I think of all the fast food that people think is flavorful, it makes me nauseous.

The ingredients absorb all the water so it will be thick. You can add more water if you like. My first cup turned out perfect, and although this is a smaller-size cup it was a lot to eat. I actually had this for my breakfast and I stayed and felt full all morning! Actually there are only 180 calories, so that is fantastic. Prepare yourself for a lot of gas after consuming this, but that can usually be expected after eating something so healthy.
on June 19, 2009
Dr. McDougall's Right Foods Vegan Lentil Couscous Soup, 2.1-Ounce Cups (Pack of 6). I've tried Jenny Craig and the other nutrisystem pre-packaged food to lose weight. Most of their food is very high is sodium, tasteless, and they carry a limited vegan/vegetarian selection. On average, when you buy the extra grocery items, the cost of food $12-15. daily. I've discovered I can buy better tasting and low priced items on Amazon.
This is a single serving (careful some of his products list nutrition info for 2 servings for one container). The high fiber fills you up. It's warm, good natural source of iron, Vit. A and protein. To help me lose weigh and eat correctly, I've been using a free food diary and analysis site (caloriecount dot about dot com). They give this product an A minus for nutritional value.
on May 16, 2014
I read the reviews on here before buying, and a lot of people mentioned how filling the dish was, so I decided to go ahead and try it. I just received my order today, and tried one for dinner. It's really tasty! The spices used in the seasoning are wonderfully fragrant, and the couscous itself was fantastic! It was more mushy than stovetop couscous, but I still enjoyed it. I'd recommend this for anyone looking to add easy couscous in their diet, or looking for an easy 'on the go' meal. Five stars :)

Updated: It's not soup, it's just couscous after being microwaved. I'm not sure why it's called "soup", but just think of it as instant couscous.
on May 17, 2012
This flavor is awesomely good, in my opinion. I recently ordered 5 different varieties of Dr. McDougall's soups, and this flavor quickly became my favorite. I just ordered several more 6-packs of the lentil couscous soup.

I was looking for high fiber, and this soup has lots of fiber. My stomach is pretty finicky, but the only problem this product caused me was a craving for more.

Some people complained about it not having enough salt, but the label says "lower sodium," for goodness sakes! Duh! Anyway,I would have preferred even less sodium. For me, the flavor is great!
on February 16, 2014
Good tasting and I'll order again. However, I have tried cooking several of Dr. McDougall's soups in the microwave and they
always boil over and make a mess. I have lowered the microwave cooking temp and still they boil over. I set the soup cup
inside a regular glass soup boil to catch the boil over, but still you lose some of the soup broth. The best way to cook the
cup of soup is to boil the water and pour directly into the cup of soup up to the fill line. Then close the soup cup lid and
let it set for at least 5 min--8 min is better.
on August 29, 2014
The timing is way off for this vegan dish.. If you use the full 2 min in a high microwave, the soup boils over the container's edge and splatters the microwave. Even at 2 min. the soup feels under cooked when you try to eat it. Just not satisfactory.
on May 13, 2013
Blech! It has no taste. It's not that it is lacking salt, it is flat out lacking flavor. I choked down one cup of soup and gave the rest away. I like some of their other soups but not this one.

Also, the nutritional facts listed on Amazon are not the same as the soup I received. The cups I got say Serving size: 59g, Calories 210, Calories from Fat: 10, Sodium: 360mg (15%).