4.0 out of 5 stars an important piece of the puzzle...
Dr. Melina's lemon raspberry flavored protein bar hits the spot when you're dieting and even when you're not! Each bar comes individually wrapped and the nutrition facts are neatly printed on the wrapping of the bar. The nutrition facts are also printed on the box containing the entire pack of 15 bars.

The bars taste great and they are indeed very satisfying...
Published on November 21, 2007 by Matthew G. Sherwin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, Not Great
As an avid weightlifter and biker, I'm always looking for healthy ways to get more protein into my diet, so I have tried a wide variety of protein bars. What I like in a bar is decent flavor, not too hard to chew, quality ingredients, and of course good fat/sat fat/carbs/fiber/protein numbers.

So how does this bar stack up against the competition...
Published on November 21, 2007 by Brian Koch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, Not Great, November 21, 2007
This review is from: Dr. Melina Protein Bar, Lemon Raspberry, 1.58-Ounce Bars (Pack of 15) (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

So how does this bar stack up against the competition?

Well, for this particular flavor, you better really like lemon, because it is certainly very lemony, so it is not really a great flavor to me, but better than many.

The texture and ease of chewability were very good, some bars are just impossible and my jaw actually hurts after I'm done with them, plus they stick in my teeth afterwards, this bar is more like a granola bar texture, so it is above average in that category.

Some of the ingredients leave something to be desired. They are not organic, or at least don't say that they are unlike Clif and some other bars. It also contains Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, and I'm not an expert, but from what I understand any time you do that to oils it makes them much less healthy for you but gives the product a longer shelf-life, so good for the product, bad for us.

Last, but certainly not least, how does it stack up in the nutritional numbers. The Calorie to Protein ratio is pretty good, you get 1 gram of protein for every 12.86 calories, so 4 of those calories are from the protein and 8.86 are from fat and carbs. If you compare that to other bars, Clif Peanut Butter - 20.83/gram, Kashi GoLean - 18.75/gram, MET-RX Big 100 Super Cookie Crunch - 12.81/gram, it's doing pretty good.

How about the all important F word, fat. No Trans Fat, but really there aren't many bars left that do have that, but still a good thing. And the Saturated Fat is slightly lower than most bars I have looked at. The total fat is also in line with the competition, so really nothing to differentiate it in this category.

In fact when looking at Fiber, I come to the same conclusion, 5 grams is good, but most other bars also have around that amount.

Sodium is only 3%, which is much lower than the 10-20% many of the others have, so if lowering sodium is one of your goals, this bar excels in that category.

Also with only 7% of your carbs it comes out near the lowest on that front. However, it does use Sugar Alcohol to help meet this end, which has been linked with excess gas and/or laxative type symptoms in some people especially when consumed in large quantities.

And then we have vitamins and minerals, this bar is pretty sparse in this category, it does have 20% of the daily amount of calcium combined with 30% D to help absorption, plus just a hint of Iron 6%, but that's it. No A, C, E, B-6, B12...well you get the idea. So since science still has not, and may never, completely understand the total impact of vitamins and minerals on the human body, I tend to lean towards foods and bars that have a nice balance of many different vitamins and minerals, just in-case one of them is needed for a certain tissue or cell to recover properly from a workout, or even to prevent diseases.

So, in a nutshell, this bar does have some nice advantages in certain categories, but comes up a little short in others, so don't just buy 10 cases and think you are going to be the image of heath by just eating them. Like so many other things in life, moderation and variety will serve you better than putting all of your faith in one thing. Go ahead and add them to your list of reasonably healthy and quick options if you like the taste, but make sure to balance them with "real food" nuts, berries, greens, lean meats, beans, etc. if you want to reach your next level of health.

4.0 out of 5 stars an important piece of the puzzle..., November 21, 2007
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The bars taste great and they are indeed very satisfying. The protein bar is a little crunchy so you may want to have something to drink when eating these. The lemon raspberry flavor is not overwhelming and I like that.

The bars score high in fiber--there are five grams of fiber in each 1.58 ounce bar; and that's already 18% of the recommended daily intake of fiber. Each bar contains 30% of the daily recommended intake of vitamin D and 20% of the daily recommended intake of calcium. There are only five grams of total fat and there are no transfats. The bars are also low in sodium and cholesterol.

However, these bars are not perfect. They have 10 grams of sugar and each small bar has 10% of the recommended daily limit of saturated fat. Ouch! They contain milk and soybeans, too. Moreover, these bars are manufactured where, among other things, nuts are processed. If you are allergic to any type of nut I would avoid this product.

To sum it up, these lemon raspberry protein bars taste great and they will satisfy you--especially if you eat two at one time. (OK, so maybe I'm a pig!) There are two or three things to keep in mind regarding saturated fat and the possibility of some residue nut content on the bar that would be too small for anyone to see. I do, however, recommend these protein bars as a great alternative to junk food snacks including candy bars. Eat these protein bars as part of a healthy diet and I believe that you will be happy with this product overall.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not perfect either, January 17, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've never written a review of a food product before so I'm not sure what exactly I should be including. But I'll give it a try.

I've been trying to lose weight for about 6 months or so now and the hardest part for me is eating healthy and not junky foods. I don't do well on a diet since I'm not much of an advance food planner. I'm more of a "what do I have in the freezer I can cook quickly when I get home from work" kind of person. So I thought trying protein bars may help curb the cravings for sweets. (My weakness!)

I've tried several different kinds in the past, even before it became important for me to lose weight, and often times they have a bitter aftertaste or leave a chalky-feeling residue in your mouth. These Dr. Melina's Protein Bars in Lemon Raspberry flavor aren't perfect, but they are loads better than many other kinds I've tried. There is no aftertaste or bad feeling you can't seem to wash away. They are a little dry and you'll likely want to have some water on hand to drink afterwards as a result. The taste is a strong pleasant flavor, though I'd like if I could taste the raspberry a little more. The lemon overpowers the berry flavor.

One thing I was hoping for was that these bars, being high in protein, would help keep me from feeling hungry in between meals. Unfortunately that didn't really work out. I tried eating them as a breakfast or lunch replacement bar and was hungry again in a couple hours. I found they worked better for me when I was having a craving for something sweet, not when I was eating them as a snack to fend off hunger until my next meal, or as a meal itself. As a fill in for a candy bar they worked quite well and I may have to try one of the chocolate flavors which would work even better to fend off the cravings.

© Kelley A. Hartsell, January 2008. All rights reserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeeee-lish!, November 17, 2007
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As someone who over the last few years has lost a bit of weight and is trying to keep it off AND eat healthier, I'm always on the look-out for things that satisfy my sweet tooth but are nutritious as well as being tasty. For me, this bar fits the bill. I liked the combination of sweet from the dried rasberries and lightly tangy from the lemon frosting on the one side of the bar. This bar is nice and soft, so not like a granola bar-if you prefer crunchy, this bar would not be for you. I love the fact that the bar has no high fructose corn syrup and helps me meet my calcium requirement (the bar supplies 20% of your calcium, which is especially important for women). The bar also has 5 grams of fiber and 14 grams of protein. I would definitely grab this as a healthier snack option or a light breakfast on the go. Did I mention it was created by a nutrition doctor? All the better!

I would definitely buy this product again and would be interested in trying other bars that are available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Passes The Family Test!, December 11, 2007
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Everyone in my family of four gives these protein bars a thumbs-up!

After eating junky snack bars for years, it was a bit of a shock to bite into one of Dr. Melina's protein bars. It tasted... Healthy. Which is to say, not all sweet and sugary. The lemon taste is strong. I would've preferred a bit more raspberry.

I like that the bar is not crunchy. I've had some that break apart upon the first bite and you end up picking crumbs off your clothes. My 9-year-old son said, "They're chewy, but not too chewy."

Best of all, they sit well in our stomachs and take away mid-morning hunger pangs. I could easily eat one of these for breakfast or lunch and feel good about the healthy ingredients. Better this than an Egg McMuffin.

As protein bars go, these are the best I've ever had. We'll definitely be keeping them around the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd order this again, December 10, 2007
Patrick Oden (San Dimas, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not a health expert or health obsessed. I'm a guy who used to be able to eat as much of whatever I wanted and now realize this is no longer true. I'm a guy who likes being outside. I run, kayak, walk, and otherwise try to get away from my desk and get out and do interesting things.

When I'm out and about I forget about eating. But when work intrudes and I have to curtail my exercise, staying inside and at a desk, I find that I tend to snack a lot. My body wants to make up for lost time.

Because I work from home snacks are plentiful and convenient. It's far too easy for me to pick up a handful of this or a little bit of that.

Which means that I really was eager for a replacement. Something that would satisfy those snacking urges while providing a healthy balance for my day, for when I can once again get outside and be active.

The lemon-raspberry protein bars by Dr. Melina are perfect for this. Well balanced in texture, sweetness, and size. Not too hard, and certainly not too sweet. Like eating a piece of fruit.

Tasty and helpful. Enough so that I'm planning to get a box of these every month. That's really the best kind of endorsement possible.

To add a little to this, however, I would like to highlight something Dr. Melina herself has said in response to comments. This to me was extremely interesting but was buried in a place where few would read it:

"This is Dr. Melina and I wanted to address a few points in this review and others. First of all, i'm a nutrition doctor (M.D.) that see patients who want to improve their diet on a daily basis so I think that creating a bar that works in my nutrition program is not like a chef doing surgery (that was a funny image though - I do have a sense of humor). Regarding the flavor, i'm sorry it wasn't to your liking - most of my patients and friends LOVE this flavor but i'm a chocolate lover myself! Regarding the vitamins/minerals, I PURPOSELY did not include any other vitamins and minerals because most Americans get MORE than enough of most nutrients by taking a daily multivitamin and through all the other fortified foods.

I did not feel any reason to add lots of vitamins and minerals which the average person does not need and which would increase the cost. I chose to add more Vitamin D than any bar that I know of because it is emerging as one of the most important and deficient vitamins in the American diet. And calcium is often deficient too since most people don't get the 3 servings per day of dairy, especially if they are trying to cut calories. The bar was designed to be a very tasty and satisfying snack containing mainly high quality whey protein and 5 grams of fiber to keep blood sugar stable and control hunger for several hours. It is not a sports performance bar (too low in carbs) or a meal replacement bar (although I grab it for breakfast with a latte on occasion).

I tell my patients that this bar works in addition to, not in place of, a healthy diet so it does not need to do everything! I fully respect the opinion of all the reviewers and many of them have some very well though out comments. I'm thrilled that so many people are interested in and have a knowledge of nutrition!!! In good health, Dr. Melina Jampolis"

I had one with a cup of coffee this morning, instead of a heavier breakfast, and found it once again a "tasty and satisfying snack". Just what I was looking for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another competitor to the growing "bar" market, December 1, 2007
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Yes, I've tried just about every protein / food bar out there over the years. Typically when I try one I'll get an entire box (or two) and work on it for 2-4 weeks, eating the bars on a regular basis as a meal substitute or snack. I use bars when I'm on a strick exercise plan or throughout those months where I'm running between meetings at work.

MY FEEDBACK:

- According to the 2007 Consumer Report, the best diet book based on scientific research was Volumetrics. This book basically says to eat items where the calories in the product are close or less than the size of the serving in grams.

For instance if a single serving is 45 grams in weight and 45 calories then you have a ratio of 1.

The books says this is very good and the food will satify you LONGER with less calories, which can better assist with weight loss or easier weight management.

Why do I mention this?

Because this item has the very first ingredient as a high calorie sweetner (Syrup blend). Also there are three other sweetners mentioned (sucrose, maltitol syrup and sucrose again) in the listed ingredients.

Thus the calorie/gram ratio is over a 4 (180 calories to 45 grams), which based on Volumetrics is exactly the kind of food you want to avoid.

- I'm not saying that Volumetrics is the end all, be all of what to eat or not eat, but. . .If I ate one of these bars I found I'm defintely hungry 90 minutes later

- I like the taste. Berry-sweet with a little lemony tang. If lemon is not your thing then pass on this bar. Having a variety of flavors would be preferred, but this one works for me.

- The item is easy to chew. It seems more solid than those rice-cripy treat type of bars that feel hollow and empty. Also its not so overly solid that its like chewing tire rubber like some bars are

- Like most bars, this is kinda dry so keep a tall glass of water handy. It isn't terribly dry like eating jerky or PowerBars, but you will get thirsty.

- In a world where it seems more and more people suffer from allergies with dairy and nuts, this has both ingredients. The packaging at least gives a nice bolded warning to help these types of folks quickly identify possible harmful ingredients.

- 14g of protein per bar. Nice!

- 5g of Fiber per bar. Very nice!

- 180 calories per bar = average with most bars

- If it wasn't for the sugars (10g) this would be a much better product.

- None of the ingredients are organic. . .a trend in today's day & age I'm surprised isn't included here

- Vitamin A and C = 0%. We are in the 21st century and I expect more items to be vitamin enriched. But its not a big deal since I take a Daily and supplements like many people.

- A $1.50 per bar is a bit steep. Especially considering there are many competitor products that are less expensive.

- At least the bottom ingredients are actuall oat fiber and freeze dried raspberry. . . .not some artificial ingredient

OVERALL:
If I found a competitor product on sale at the market with compariable ingredients I'd buy the sale product instead of paying the $1.50 per bar for this one. If nothing was on sale, I could see myself making a 60/40 decision in favor of getting this bar due to the high protein, high fiber and good taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal Trainer Approved, November 17, 2007
Having been in the health & fitness industry for over 17 years, I have tried a lot of bars. I have a master's in Exercise Physiology with a minor in nutrition and feel I know a bit on this topic. I own a personal training business and am very selective in the products I choose to carry. I am always looking for TRULY healthy nutritional bars to recommend to my clients that both taste good, yet are healthy and well-balanced. I feel like I hit the jackpot with Dr. Melina's bars. NO!!!...one bar does not meet everyone's criteria. Meaning, if you are going to be doing hard core, endurance activities, you may want a bar with more carbs; however, most people are not doing this high level of activity & are over-carbing with a bar like Clif Bar; however, if you are trying to slim down & watch your caloric intake(the majority of people), this is my GO-TO BAR!!! Why???
(1) At 180 calories, the calorie content is perfect for a snack bar. Many of the bars out there contain 250-300 calories. Too many, in my opinion, if you are trying to lose weight (ok if it is a meal replacement, but most aren't satisfying enough to be a meal).
(2) It has the perfect ratio of carbohydrates, fat, protein which optimizes blood sugar levels. Again, unless you are engaging in vigorous physical activity, you don't need 45g of carbs as many bars have.
(3) It has 5 grams of fiber which is excellent & again, very important in helping maintain blood sugar levels.
(4) It is made with whey protein not soy protein. Why is this important?? Whey protein is broken down & used more easily by the body. It is fast digesting which makes it more filling. Finally, whey protein contains branch chain amino acids can provide energy during exercise.
(5) It has no high fructose corn syrup or trans fats.
(6) It is an excellent source of Vit D & calcium.
(7) Finally, they taste great!!! I can't keep them in my studio.

Enjoy & Good Health!!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's healthy, but it tastes TOO good, December 20, 2007
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These health bars are probably healthy enough when eaten in moderation, but like most snack bars they taste TOO good and you're liable to eat too many. That's why unless you have rock-solid food discipline, I would suggest snacking on a natural snack like fruit or cheese.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected, December 11, 2007
S. Fennell "pianistcritic" (Somewhere out there.....beneath the pale moon light...) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I approached this product with a good deal of skepticism; most of the nutrition/protein bars I've tried in the past have been, to put it bluntly, awful, so I was really not expecting very much out of Dr Melina's take on this idea. A good number of the other protein bars on the market have the consistency, (and flavor, for that matter), of Silly Putty. (and don't ask me how I know that. I STILL have memories of my parents telling me not to eat that stuff.... Yes, I was a stupid kid. So there.)

Soooo, anyway, it was a bit of a surprise to find out that out the box of Lemon/Raspberry bars I received in the mail was....(drum roll).....actually worth eating! My favorite bar up until now has been the Zone bar, (mainly due to all the variations on chocolate that they have, so that probably won't change), but I have to say that this flavor was a nice switch, and I would gladly purchase a 2nd box of them. The lemon and raspberry flavors work very well together, with just enough mix of sweetness and a sour "tang" in them, plus the caloric content is slightly lower than a Zone bar. The only thing that I wasn't thrilled about is that I thought there could have been a bit more crunch to these, but they are still light years ahead of the Silly Putty varieties from other companies.

In short, better than most of the other brands out there.
Recommended.