5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than copays and it works
Published on January 24, 2011 by Gift Card Recipient

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but throw out the instructions
Published on November 27, 2011 by C. Want

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than copays and it works, January 24, 2011
This review is from: Dr. Scholl's Freeze Away Wart Remover, 7 Treatments, Box (Health and Beauty)
This worked well for me for some stubborn warts (tried the acid route, which I think is more painful than this) and a skintag. Skin turns white, then deep red, then sloughs off in a couple of weeks and no more problem. Had to reapply twice to a couple, so be patient and let it work. Typical insurance doesn't cover cryotherapy in your Dr.s office so I think it's money well spent, esp. if you have to go back once or twice. I got the 12 application pack, as I didn't want to run out, and it was only a little more than the 7 pack. Adice: hold on the area long enough to be sure it's all white, which may be longer than instructions say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the Process, April 23, 2014
I think the way to get the most out of this product is to understand how wart freezing (cryotherapy) works. One negative reviewer went into a lot of science about how the product won't work because dimethyl ether (what makes this product cold) doesn't get cold enough to kill the wart virus.

That's not how cryotherapy works.

The goal is to freeze the upper layer of skin so that a blister forms between the wart and the healthy skin. Your body rejects the frozen skin, pushes it up and off, and you're left with healthy skin. That's also why some people can do repeated treatments and have no result: The skin wasn't frozen deep enough to create a blister. Sometimes, cryotherapy won't be able to create a big blister, but it will damage the wart structure enough that the blood vessels feeding it will clot and it'll slowly die. That's when you see black spots on the surface of the wart.

I have warts in several stages on both hands. Most are small, pin-sized warts, but two are much bigger. I have two small ones that blistered and fell off within days of the first treatment. I have two that simply disappeared, and I have four that are starting to die slowly. I also have two that are stubborn and refusing to budge. That's normal. Sometimes it takes several treatments. The catch is that cryotherapy relies on your own body's response to work. It's not killing the wart virus - it's triggering your body's immune system to reject and kill the wart. It also depends on the structure of the wart. Some warts are bigger or deeper than others.

My best advice is two-fold. First, learn about how cryotherapy works. Second, when you freeze a wart, remember how cryotherapy works. My biggest warts weren't phased after the first treatment. When I froze them, I didn't feel a thing because they were so deep. The second time around, I understood that I needed the wart to freeze all the way down to where it met my healthy skin. I froze it until it hurt and waited a little more. Now, those warts are covered in black specks and collapsing in on themselves.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but throw out the instructions, November 27, 2011
C. Want (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
Spray the freezing agent onto the applicator for at least twice as long as stated in the instructions. The longer the better. Press applicator firmly onto the wart. It will be painful. If it isn't painful, then it isn't doing anything. The thicker the skin in the area, the longer and more firmly you will have to freeze it. Repeat application as neccessary every couple of days. This product will cause Blistering and scarring, so don't use in regions where you do not want this to occur.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tag Remover Extreme!!!, November 10, 2013
Works on tags like magic!

Had a tag on my neck and this little miracle froze it off. It will leave a red mark for a couple of weeks, but after that it is smooth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great (if you use it right), April 2, 2013
This works wonderfully well, but you do have to use it right. I've had a very stubborn medium-sized wart on my finger. It's taken several sessions to get rid of it, but it's just about gone. I have one message for these people who gave this a low rating, saying it didn't work - you were the problem, not the product. It can sting a bit while you're applying it. You really have to hold it on the wart and thoroughly freeze it. You may have to do multiple applications. Apply thoroughly - hold the applicator on the wart until it's thoroughly frozen. You may have to reload the applicator and freeze again. After the wart peels (may take up to a 7-10 days after treatment) examine the site to see if there is still a visible wart spot remaining. If there is, do another treatment! Keep doing treatments until the skin is normal again. I learned this after watching the dermatologist work on a large wart my mother had. It took him 3-4 treatments over a year to get rid of hers. I was much happier taking care of mine at home! Thank you Dr. Scholl's & Amazon!

One other comment. I ran out of applicators before I ran out of freezing compound, so I've been finishing off the can with Q-tips. Just put the can in the recepticle and push. The can will put the compound down in the cup and you can stick a Q-tip down in there and soak it up. Works great!

4.0 out of 5 stars It worked! I think..., December 16, 2012
Over the summer, my 6-year-old daughter got a wart about the diameter of a pencil eraser on the bottom of her foot. The wart didn't bother her at first, so we took the wait-and-see approach. But after 6 weeks or so, my daughter started complaining that the wart hurt when she jumped around, like in dance class. I basically turned to Dr. Scholl's Freeze Away Wart Remover because I saw a commercial for it on TV.

Since my daughter was only 6, and we were all wary of the product to begin with, my husband and I followed the instructions EXACTLY. We didn't want to risk damaging her skin permanently in any way. For each application, we froze the wart for no more than 20 seconds. We saw the skin turn a little bluish, and my daughter said she felt some kind of sensation on the wart, and that was it. Per the instructions, we waited 2 weeks. Nothing happened.

We re-applied the treatment 3 more times - 4 times total, each application performed 2 weeks after the previous one, just as the instructions specified. Somewhere along the way, I think between the 2nd and 3rd applications, the wart started to look dirty. No matter how much we scrubbed it in the shower, it looked like it was speckled with black dots. Maybe that was the Dr. Scholl's working? We had no idea.

The instructions said to use no more than 4 applications, and my daughter happened to have a physical check-up scheduled a few weeks after our last application anyway. When the wart didn't come off after the 4th treatment, we figured we'd just ask the pediatrician if she could freeze it off with liquid nitrogen, or give us some prescription-strength salicylic acid.

As it turned out, about two weeks after the last application - literally just when we had given up hope on Dr. Scholl's working - the wart started to look funny. It seemed to get bigger by turning white and puffy, and little flakes of skin started peeling away. My daughter took to picking at it, even though all the web sites said not to because it might spread the virus. I got paranoid about other people in the house getting warts (I guess we won't know for several months!), and at least made sure my daughter washed her hands with soap and water any time she touched the wart. We put a fresh band-aid on it every morning, sometimes again in the evening. It looked pretty gross.

At one point, the weirdest thing happened. Two smaller, skin-colored bumps - like fresh new warts! - popped up immediately adjacent to the original wart. Yikes!! One web site I read said that sometimes new warts appear just as the first one starts to go away, because the old wart sheds virus-infected cells onto nearby skin. I figured that was what was going on, but then was surprised when one of the two new "warts" went away within a couple days. My daughter said she picked it off!! Ew... Well, whatever, it was gone, and after a couple days - and probably some picking - the second new one went away, too.

By the time the doctor appointment rolled around, the wart was basically half fallen off. You could sort of see some pink skin underneath, and my daughter said that it did hurt to touch it. The pediatrician said it looked like the Dr. Scholl's was working, so she need not do anything at the time. She did say that if the whole wart didn't fall off - like if there was any rough, calloused skin left - we could come back and she would look at it again.

After another week or so, the original wart finally fell off - except for one small dot in the middle. I was worried that this "root" might mean the wart wasn't totally gone, but thankfully, a couple days later, that fell off too, and my daughter and I practically had a wart-coming-off party.

All told, it took almost 5 months for the wart to go away. I suppose I can credit Dr. Scholl's Freeze Away, since we did use it, and the wart did go away. I didn't give this product 5 stars because I just didn't know, for the duration of its use, whether or not it was really working.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for Skin Tags, February 26, 2014
I used this on skin tags and had to do repeated applications but after two weeks the skin tag fell away and came off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect!, August 29, 2012
I used it on my stubborn wart(very big wart). I needed to use it 3 times before it was able to remove it. I must say this is very effective. I highly recommend it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with more aggressive approach, September 15, 2014
I would only add that it's best to soak in water the wart first - the freezing agent works much better. And I agree that you need to freeze the tip for 5-6 seconds, hold on the wart for 60 seconds or more, and use 3-4 times over a 2 day period for best results.

5.0 out of 5 stars A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!, November 30, 2012
This is the my first online review for anything ever in my life. I've had warts for almost 4 years. It started off on my left foot toe and I got a laser surgery done.after about a year it came up. It only made it worse. there was quite a bit of bleeding and bandaging for months, Worst of all it looked so gross even i couldnt look at it while fixing the bandage. Months later the wart came back and became even bigger. it was in contact with the adjacent toe and so it spread on it too. After a while I got one on my ankle and then another one on the same toe and one on my index finger! I felt like all the warts were only attacking me. Frustrated and not in access to any treatment i forgot about it. i wore closed toed shoes for years. Later on a flight journey from Houston to San Diego on Southwest airlines, i came across what is called wartabater. their technology seemed truthful and i went ahead and bought it for $90 hoping to heal my toes etc. it didnt seem to work and i called the company and they provided me with instructions on how to use it, i did all of it but nothing worked and i gave up that too. a month later, i tried duct tape which didnt work in any way for me.. after all this hassle i completely let it go and told myself nothing is going to work on this..

On a trip to HEB, my boyfriend came across this and suggested i try it since we tried even the most expensive treatment and this was just $12, it was the LAST RESORT according to me. I used scholls on the first night and felt a difference in two days. i used to once in two days and only three treatments and trust me they are the worst ones one could see and within two weeks the wart fell off completely! not false, no lies , im dead serious! I was so happy and immediatly even started wearing open toed shoes and sandals! This is a wonder and am so grateful to my boyfriend and dr scholls!

Please dont hesitate to buy this! if any of you need to see the before and after pictures to believe me, i will be happy to do it cos i totally understand the non-physical pain of having this! :)

Dr. Scholl's Freeze Away Wart Remover, 7 Treatments, Box