Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: Pack of 1|Change

on April 23, 2014
I think the way to get the most out of this product is to understand how wart freezing (cryotherapy) works. One negative reviewer went into a lot of science about how the product won't work because dimethyl ether (what makes this product cold) doesn't get cold enough to kill the wart virus.

That's not how cryotherapy works.

The goal is to freeze the upper layer of skin so that a blister forms between the wart and the healthy skin. Your body rejects the frozen skin, pushes it up and off, and you're left with healthy skin. That's also why some people can do repeated treatments and have no result: The skin wasn't frozen deep enough to create a blister. Sometimes, cryotherapy won't be able to create a big blister, but it will damage the wart structure enough that the blood vessels feeding it will clot and it'll slowly die. That's when you see black spots on the surface of the wart.

I have warts in several stages on both hands. Most are small, pin-sized warts, but two are much bigger. I have two small ones that blistered and fell off within days of the first treatment. I have two that simply disappeared, and I have four that are starting to die slowly. I also have two that are stubborn and refusing to budge. That's normal. Sometimes it takes several treatments. The catch is that cryotherapy relies on your own body's response to work. It's not killing the wart virus - it's triggering your body's immune system to reject and kill the wart. It also depends on the structure of the wart. Some warts are bigger or deeper than others.

My best advice is two-fold. First, learn about how cryotherapy works. Second, when you freeze a wart, remember how cryotherapy works. My biggest warts weren't phased after the first treatment. When I froze them, I didn't feel a thing because they were so deep. The second time around, I understood that I needed the wart to freeze all the way down to where it met my healthy skin. I froze it until it hurt and waited a little more. Now, those warts are covered in black specks and collapsing in on themselves.
33 comments|637 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2011
This worked well for me for some stubborn warts (tried the acid route, which I think is more painful than this) and a skintag. Skin turns white, then deep red, then sloughs off in a couple of weeks and no more problem. Had to reapply twice to a couple, so be patient and let it work. Typical insurance doesn't cover cryotherapy in your Dr.s office so I think it's money well spent, esp. if you have to go back once or twice. I got the 12 application pack, as I didn't want to run out, and it was only a little more than the 7 pack. Adice: hold on the area long enough to be sure it's all white, which may be longer than instructions say.
11 comment|228 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2015
So this is probably the second time I've experienced having a wart throughout my lifetime. The first I remember was when I was in middle school and now as an adult. When I had the first wart, I simply used the Compound W formula that you would normally find over the counter at Target or what not. It comes in one of those small dark colored glass bottles and you apply it onto the wart with a brush that's attached to the lid. That product actually worked like a charm from what I remember and it removed the sucker no more than a couple weeks at most. With that in mind and my past experience with it, I decided to try the Compound W formula again for my most recent wart. It seemed to work this time around also except that it took a bit longer than I anticipated to come off and it just looked a bit gross to be honest. Smell was pretty bad and from what my girlfriend described, had fumes similar to nail polish. Unfortunately, I guess I didn't take it far/deep enough as the wart ended up growing back.

Now I wasn't sure if this happened because the wart I had was located on the border of my skin where my fingernail and skin meet (refer to picture) or something else but I went ahead and bought a new Compound W bottle. Well, after about a week or so of the new bottle, I realized it wasn't quite working out mainly because the formula/solution got gunky pretty quick and was very much useless at that point. I guess that stuff lasts best when you zip it up in a zip-loc bag and put it in the fridge such that the alcohol doesn't evaporate. With that being said, I was a bit frustrated and decided to look up other ways to remove this wart.

I recalled seeing this Dr. Scholl's Freeze Away Wart Remover right next to the Compound W formula at Target actually but decided that it was more pricey and didn't really know if it was effective or not. After talking to a buddy of mine who is a doctor, I decided to give it a shot and decided to save a couple of bucks by ordering it through Amazon.

The first application of this product gave me this weird feeling when the applicator touched my skin, as I was not sure of what to expect. The pain, at least to me, was minimal at most and I kept it on for the recommended time the directions said. I then waited a couple weeks as instructed and tried to see if there was any improvement, but was then disappointed that no improvement was seen. After going through the reviews and comments people posted on here though, I did decide to go 2-3x longer than the recommended time and apply it more frequently. When I say apply it more frequently, I mean that I would "freeze" the wart again when I felt there was no more sharp stinging pain upon touching the wart (takes about maybe 4-5 days until that pain goes away).

After doing the aforementioned procedures, I did notice that things starting getting much more solid and crusty and I wasn't sure if I should peel it or let it be until it's on the verge of falling off. Well, while at work I couldn't help but notice it started to crack and what not so I went ahead and peeled it off. To my surprise, it looked like most (if not all) of the "bad skin" which was the wart was off and what was left is the "good" normal skin. It's still to early to tell if the damn thing is off for good or if maybe I should do one more application but I'm optimistic that it's getting there.

I would highly recommend this to anyone else looking for alternative methods of removing a wart who doesn't want to put up with the funky smells of Compound W and the irritating looking nastiness that comes along with it. I will say that the directions that come with the product is too conservative and I don't see a reason why you can't use an applicator more than once. I would say, keep it on about 2-3x longer than directed and apply it once you don't feel that sharp stinging pain when the area is touched (you'll know what I mean when you get there).
review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 26, 2007
Dr. Scholl's Freeze away is a new over-the-counter means to treat warts. In the past, only an MD could use liquid nitrogen in the treatment of warts. Now the consumer can use the same technology to treat warts at home. At around 20 dollars for a kit (that has 12 treatment applicators), this is a quick and relatively inexpensive means to treat warts. A typical doctor's office co-pay is around 20 - 25 dollars, so this kit is as cost-effective as a doctor's visit, without the hassle of having to go the doctor. I have treated several warts at home with this system with mixed results. Some warts have been eliminated with one treatment (the wart sheds in about 2 weeks). Other warts have been more resistant to treatment and have required multiple treatments, the treatments being 2-3 weeks apart.

In using this system, I have found some treatment tips I would like to share. First, I think it is essential to cut off the top surface of the wart as much as possible. This thins the wart and allows it to freeze deeper, killing the infected cells more thoroughly. Use a sharp scalpel, an emory board, or even sandpaper. Remember that the shavings from the wart may be infective. Second, the treatment time is critical for success. The instructions cite treatment time of 10-20 seconds for most warts, with up to 40 seconds for plantar (sole of feet) warts. The thicker the skin and thicker the wart, the longer you want to hold the cryotherapy tip against the wart. Unsuccessful therapy generally means that the treatment time was not long enough. The goal of cryotherapy is to freeze the wart virus and kill it. Expect the treatment to hurt (sometimes a little - sometimes a lot, depending on where the wart is). After charging the tip with the can, place it against the wart for the amount of time recommended in the instructions. It will "sizzle" as it contacts the wart, and this is desirable, for you want the tip to be cold so that the treated surface turns a frosted white. When you remove the tip from the wart, the surface will be white and frozen, but will quickly warm and become red. It may hurt for minutes to several hours. While the box indicates that only one treatment is necessary, I have found most warts require 1 or more treatments, with 2 - 3 weeks between each treatment. Healing of the frozen surface takes about 1-2 weeks with the hopeful end result that the wart falls off. Generally there is little or no scarring. If the treatment time is longer or you are treating a larger wart, a blister may form. If the blister breaks, be diligent to clean the area to prevent the spread of the wart virus. Avoid contact with the fluid in the blister, as it likely contains wart virus which can infect other areas.

There are three main ways to treat warts: cryotherapy, liquid salicylic acid therapy, and duct tape therapy. All these usually work if applied consistently. Cryotherapy offers no clear advantages over the liquid wart removal (salicylic acid), except that it is quicker and less of a mess. Duct tape therapy (taping the wart for 7 days straight) seems to be just as effective as any other therapy. It is certainly cheap, but the main disadvantage is treating warts in sightly areas such as the fingers, hands or face.

I like cryotherapy for warts for its ease of therapy. If you want to get rid of a wart as quickly as possible, give this treatment a try.

Jim "Konedog" Koenig

For the person who wishes more information on warts see below:

Warts are caused by the Human Papilomavirus. HPV enters the body in an area of broken skin. The virus causes the top layers of the infected skin to grow rapidly, producing a wart. The body has a hard time eliminating warts because warts hide in our own cells where the immune system cannot find or recognize them as being foreign. However, over time, sometimes years, the immune system finally "discovers" the wart virus and produces anti-bodies against it. At this point, all the warts are attacked and eliminated.

Warts can occur anywhere on the body. There are many different kinds of warts. "Common warts" appear most often on the hands, but they may appear anywhere on the body. They are rough, gray-brown, dome-shaped growths. "Plantar warts" occur on the bottom of the feet, are hard, thick patches of skin with dark specks inside the growth.

Flat warts are found on the face, arms, or legs. They are small (about 2-4 mm in diameter), have flat surfaces. and are pink, light brown, dark brown, or skin-colored yellow.

Filiform warts are generally found around the mouth, on or in the nose, or in the beard area. They are flesh-colored with jagged fingerlike edges.

Periungual warts are found under and around the toenails and fingernails. They appear as rough, irregular bumps. These warts are very painful to treat as the fingers are very sensitve with lots of nerve endings.

Genital warts occur on the genitals, around the anus, within the rectum or vagina, or on the cervix. Don't use cryotherapy or salicylic therapy on genital warts - consult with an MD.
33 comments|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2013
This works wonderfully well, but you do have to use it right. I've had a very stubborn medium-sized wart on my finger. It's taken several sessions to get rid of it, but it's just about gone. I have one message for these people who gave this a low rating, saying it didn't work - you were the problem, not the product. It can sting a bit while you're applying it. You really have to hold it on the wart and thoroughly freeze it. You may have to do multiple applications. Apply thoroughly - hold the applicator on the wart until it's thoroughly frozen. You may have to reload the applicator and freeze again. After the wart peels (may take up to a 7-10 days after treatment) examine the site to see if there is still a visible wart spot remaining. If there is, do another treatment! Keep doing treatments until the skin is normal again. I learned this after watching the dermatologist work on a large wart my mother had. It took him 3-4 treatments over a year to get rid of hers. I was much happier taking care of mine at home! Thank you Dr. Scholl's & Amazon!

One other comment. I ran out of applicators before I ran out of freezing compound, so I've been finishing off the can with Q-tips. Just put the can in the recepticle and push. The can will put the compound down in the cup and you can stick a Q-tip down in there and soak it up. Works great!
11 comment|169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2006
I fought with warts as a kid and had them successfully frozen off by a dermatologist. Now I'm thirty and it would seem that I have caught a new set of warts on the back of my hand. I went to the dermatologist to have them frozen off but she wouldn't freeze deep enough and after I healed up the warts came back, literally waiting under the scabs, very frustrating. So I bought this new freeze away, and was able to let it go deep enough to kill the warts. It works, but beware, the second step liquid, it turns scaly white and does not come off, at all! So if you are concerned about appearance, especially women/girls, just stick with the freezing part, it works well enough by itself. I also found that the first time you activate the tip (i.e. freeze it) it doesn't really freeze well, you'll probably have to give it another shot of cold and then it will really work, it should sting and immediately frost the skin right around it. If not, you didn't get it cold enough. Make sure you press it against the wart for long enough, maybe a little longer than the directions, it hurts, but you just have to hang in there and give it time to kill the wart.
11 comment|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2013
It did the job. The first time they just came back so the second time I held it on there a lot longer. It burns, it stings....but it got rid of those darn things and they haven't come back since then. I wouldn't fool around with other methods, just get this and hold it on there 1.5x - 2x as long as it says.
0Comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2013
Works on tags like magic!

Had a tag on my neck and this little miracle froze it off. It will leave a red mark for a couple of weeks, but after that it is smooth.
11 comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2014
I used this on skin tags and had to do repeated applications but after two weeks the skin tag fell away and came off.
on August 21, 2013
I had two warts on different fingers. I used it once for the smaller one, and it went away just like the box says. Great! My second wart was a little bigger and it did not work on the first try. I'm trying again and holding it a little longer. I'm happy it worked on at least one of mine so I don't feel like I just wasted the money. It's worth a shot before going to the doctor and having it done.