4.0 out of 5 stars Work great - when inserted correctly
Published on August 26, 2009 by Rueg

1.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Scholl's and the "Ever Shrinking" Gel Insole
Published on June 10, 2011 by Waegn

1.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Scholl's and the "Ever Shrinking" Gel Insole, June 10, 2011
This review is from: Dr. Scholl's Massaging Gel Insoles, Men's 8-13, 1 pair (Pack of 2) (Health and Beauty)
I had been a fan of the Dr. Scholl's (DS) Insole for a few years. Because I have a peripheral neuropathy problem, I have feet that are sore and require some insoles that are well padded from heel to toe. I had been buying the DS Ener-Gel insole (about $15.00 per package) and had about 4 pairs - one for each of the shoes I wear on a regular basis. However, these were wearing out, so I returned to the store to buy more. This model was no longer on the shelf, and a check of the DS web site indicated this model was no longer being made. Apparently, this model has been replaced by the DS Massaging Gel (MG) Insole. I purchased a pair, took them out of the package, and compared them to my original insoles. First and foremost, I should mention for others with foot neuropathy problems, the "last" thing you need is an insole that "massages" the damaged nerves in your feet which results in more pain.

In addition to this, The MG model appears to have reduced the gel padding by at least 50%. The padding that is present is almost totally located in the heel portion, and then thins out to almost nothing from the arch to the toe area of the insole. Also, even though the insole had been significantly reduced in materials/quality, the price was the same or more than my original DS Ener-Gel insoles. Wow! Talk about the proverbial "ever shrinking candy bar" that sells at the same price or higher, this is it! I can't recommend these insoles to anyone needing a significant amount of padding in the front portion of the foot, and I am very disappointed in the Dr. Scholl's brand for trying to "cut corners" (and improve their bottom line) by making and selling a cheaper product at inflated costs; thus, the reason for my one star rating of this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Garbage, November 16, 2011
So I bought this thinking my feet would enjoy some squishy silicone goodness. First few days, were pretty ok. Not the unmitigated bliss described in their commercials but ok. I truly never felt like I was "gellin". After 8 days the the short lived honeymoon was over. The fabric cover started separating from the insole causing my feet pretty icky discomfort and blisters. After 12 days the material of the insoles started crumbling filling my shoes with little sticky chunks of blue mystery gel. I can't tell you the great sorrow it caused to me to see my shoes fill with such nastiness. I took a while to get all the icky bits out of my beloved boots. I apologized profusely to my trusty footwear, vowing to never again make them suffer this fate. Hopefully I will be forgiven.

In short, these Dr. Scholl's Massaging Gel Insoles do not massage and are a total waste of money. I mean $10 bucks for about 10 days of usefulness isn't really what I was looking for. They suck out loud. Don't bother with them unless of course you like messing up your shoes. Then by all means buy a case of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Work great - when inserted correctly, August 26, 2009
Rueg (De Forest, WI United States) - See all my reviews
I think the reason so many people have problems with the different gel inserts is because they don't insert them into the shoes correctly. The colored gel part goes down. I agree this doesn't make logical sense - since you would think the soft colored gel part would go up. But if you look at the directions it says that part should go down. And that makes sense when you read people's reviews and the problems they have - they have installed them the wrong way! I have these in the shoe's I am wearing right now and really like them. The insoles in my dress shoes have worn down and there are holes through them in two locations where there is the most rubbing. The outsides of the shoes look great. These extend the life of my shoes and take away the pain form the holes in the current insoles. The only thing I don't like about them is they create a squeek for a while until they get worn in - between the dress socks and the insoles - but it does go way after they wear in a little.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not help - make it more difficult to walk, December 12, 2011
When I saw commercials for this, I thought "what a great idea" so I bought a pair. The heal makes it easier to "stand" for a long time but the design forces my foot forward when walking (yes, I put them in cloth side up). My heel becomes loose so it slips up and down. After awhile, my toes get so jammed up at the front of the shoe, I have to stop and kick my heal on the ground to pull my foot backward into the shoe where it should be. I think this happens because the heel is raised higher than the toe. I found it more difficult to walk with the product in the shoes than without it. Since I don't want to create some physical foot or leg problems due to incorrectly compensating for this, I stopped using them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Heels deteriorate quickly, April 25, 2011
They're comfortable enough but the heels wear out and begin to crumble after only a few weeks of hard use. (And no, I did not have them in upside down as some reviewers have suggested.) They are then uncomfortable and leave a sticky line on your socks. I've had much better luck with brands/models that have a firm reinforcement cupping the heel, e.g. the Walgreens house brand, gray with a black rubber-like liner around the heel edges.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Scholl should be sued for malpractice, January 18, 2013
bld "bld" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I have always liked having inserts in my shoes and I mostly stuck to memory foam cause I like feeling like I'm walking on mattresses. I don't have sweaty feet or any foot issues so I've never had problems with insoles. I bought myself a nice pair of boots and decided to step my game up and get some gel insoles. I first tried some Walgreens brand inserts and they started falling apart after 4 days, not sure what I expected from Walgreens. I took them back and got these 'massaging' gel insoles. They are fan-dang-tastic for the first few days, but I'm not sure where the massaging part comes in, unless it's a very lethargic and slow masseuse. About a week in I noticed my socks started to look funny. The heel started to disintegrate into gooey balls that clung to my sock like barnacles. On top of that the cloth part would rip loose from the gel part and bunch up under the middle of my foot. I'd have to readjust it at least once a day. I only had my pair for 2 weeks before the heel was pretty much gone and I gave up. I'm back to foam and unless the doctor can develop an insert that lasts longer than the time it took you to read this review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - poor durability, October 12, 2010
I found the cloth portion on the insole (between the gel and your sock) detaches from the gel after about a month of wear. Very irritating. I will not order again.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SUPPORT AND LONG-LASTING RELIEF, December 1, 2009
I have a recurring Morton's Neuroma in my foot, for which I've had surgery. When it flared up again, I knew I needed a foot support, and I purchased a pair of these gel insoles at Amazon. I couldn't believe the relief!

These insoles treat your feet like babies. They cushion the foot and raise the arch, and in doing so, they relieve the pain located behind the toes. They also provide relief for the whole foot. If you stand all day at work or at home, and your feet get tired, you may find relief with this product. After I used them, I purchased several pair for my brother, who is on his feet all day. He said that his feet have never felt so good and that he no longer gets tired feet at work.

I have been wearing a pair of these for a year. I am not on my feet a lot, but the inserts have lasted all this time! Just because they have gel in them doesn't mean they'll wear out tomorrow.

If your experience is like mine, I urge you to try a pair of these insoles. I think you'll be glad you did.

1.0 out of 5 stars awful, waste of money, June 13, 2012
Pretty much for all the reasons stated before in the negative reviews, these are a total waste of money. The worst aspect for me is the fact that they have absolutely no rigidity and continually bunch up, roll up, and ride up in the interior of my boots such that I have to fix and readjust them every single time I want to put them on, which is a super pain in the neck if you like to be ready to go when you throw your shoes on. You might as well just dump some lasagne noodles into your shoes for all the use they do. I subsequently bought some spenco arches which were way cheaper and a thousand times better. Don't believe the advertising, these things suck.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING: when used correctly, February 11, 2011
I just got a job at a restaurant after working at a desk for a few years.
My first day.. I thought my legs were gonna fall off they were in such a shock from standing all day. My feet were so sad I decided to buy a new pair of sneakers that day.
I didn't want to deal with that hassle just yet and bought these instead.. excellent choice in my opinion lol.

They were a pain to trim, bc I spent $14, I was being careful not to mess up too much.
The BLUE SIDE goes DOWN. I almost made a bad mistake in cutting.. good thing I was so worried about my $14.
I've been using them all week, and I absolutely love them. Of course my legs hurt at the end of the day, but my feet aren't so bad anymore, and I feel very comfortable while working.

HIGHLY recommended.