1,995 Reviews
 (1,446)

4.0 out of 5 stars "Everybody Needs a Thneed!"
Based upon the book by Dr. Seuss (whose name is officially part of the title), THE LORAX has been contemporized a bit making it accessible to not only super-environmental-types, but to those who were raised upon conservation and not environmentalism. In THE LORAX, Ted (Zac Efron) is a twelve-year-old boy who lives in the plasticized, walled city of Thneedville. Ted is in...
Published on March 3, 2012 by tvtv3

3.0 out of 5 stars Hollywoodized
There's a lot going for this Lorax movie. The effects beautifully mimic Dr. Suess' artwork. The voice acting really captures the Lorax. The changes to the plot generally fit the spirit of the original story - with a major exception I'll discuss later. In all, there's a lot going for the Lorax and casual viewers should enjoy it.

However, for fans of Dr. Suess'...
Published on July 22, 2012 by Enjolras

4.0 out of 5 stars True to the Spirit of the book., March 17, 2012
Sean Mulligan (Alpharetta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dr. Seuss' The Lorax (DVD)
Don't let the hypocritical advertizing campaign turn you off of this new Dr. Seuss adaptation. Although the film, inevitably includes a lot of padding to make a 72 page book into a 90 minute feature but the movie retains the message of the original book. The movie has some pretty catchy songs and their aren't too many slapstick jokes and attempts to be "hip".

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, December 19, 2012
I think this a terrible interpretation of the Lorax. I love reading the book to my son and he has the old video too. Loved the original when I was a kid and now he does too. He is 5 and really didn't like this film. Too silly and the songs are dumb.
It should be called The Lorax goes Hollywood!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, September 17, 2012
I loved The Lorax as a kid. i loved the book, and I loved the cartoon that would come as an evening special on network tv. I was extremely excited when I saw it would be made into a full length film, and couldn't wait to see it. I would have watched it in the theatre, but I couldn't swing the funds at that time, and when I could I had other things I needed to do.

So when it came available to rent online, i did it. I was pretty disappointed. Not so much for the story, or anything that was great, and that is why it got two stars. The songs ruined the whole movie. It would be one thing to have intelligent, humourous lyrics to add to the film. That would have been ok. However, the songs were inane, idiotic and did not add anything to the film. In fact they were very irritating, and as I stated before ruined the whole thing. If you want to watch it, that is your choice...however I will not be purchasing this film.

3.0 out of 5 stars The original is much better, August 19, 2012
Ryanst (Southern Calif.) - See all my reviews
Having seen the earlier version of the Lorax, the new one pales in comparison. The original Lorax had some of the best artwork and color palette of any animated film to date. The film was aesthetically pleasing to the core.

The new version is formulaic. The artwork is actually pretty good, but the story and pacing are uninspired and uninteresting. There is also a very serious, realistic tone to the new film (i.e. character mannerisms, music, etc) that ruin it. The old version had an almost "magical" look and feel to it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not too good. I'm not too sure my kids enjoyed it either., September 21, 2012
Steve (Pittsburgh) - See all my reviews
The movie was not very good. For an animated feature, there are usually a few laughs for the adults and a more for the kids, but I'm not sure this had too many all the way around. Fairly boring. I'd say pass on this one.

The picture quality was very good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Felt completely forced, September 10, 2012
This was 45 minutes of story and concept at most. The rest of the movie was filled with cute little things you've come to expect in animated movies. The problem was, they felt forced. I liked the movie, and I liked the voice acting. The way the movie filled out just didn't work for me. The musical numbers seemed like they happened because it was "time for a song" and there needs to be a soundtrack to sell. Two examples that I think worked came to mind when this movie was over: 1) Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs probably had less of a story to work with, but the movie was filled out in a more coherent way. 2) The Little Mermaid had musical numbers that brought you into the story and advanced it. The songs didn't pop out like unrelated music videos in the middle of the movie. Those comparisons may mean nothing to you - and probably even LESS to your children! - but I make them to explain my 3-star rating. "It's OK"

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish it, September 23, 2012
I think we didn't finish this movie. It just didn't capture our attention which is unfortunate because it is a good story. I definitely like the 15 minute storybook better... sometimes stretching out a story doesn't work so well.

4.0 out of 5 stars An honest review of The Lorax combo pack, August 7, 2012
Review of Dr. Seuss' The Lorax Combo Pack (Two Discs: Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet)

I preordered this movie set a while ago, with the expected delivery date by August 7 (as advertised). The movie discs arrived today (August 7) as promised. Thank you, Amazon, for keeping your word.

I was pleasantly surprised that the packaging was a standard bubble-lined envelope, instead of a medium/large box like the days of old. Less packaging, less materials to have to send out for recycling (in the true spirit of the movie's "save the planet" theme).

I purchased the set that included blue-ray + DVD + digital copy + Ultraviolet access. As soon as I received the text message that it was delivered, I came home to watch the movie again with my daughter. She was eagerly anticipating the arrival of this movie, so suffice it to say that her hum drum summer day was instantly made by the opening of this package.

The blu-ray movie clearly shows the intricacy of the animation. My daughter watches the DVD on her portable DVD player. The digital copy is accessible to my HTPC (home theater PC) so that we can watch the movie from almost anywhere at home. In addition, the ultraviolet copy allows you to keep a copy in the cloud, and to stream from any computer, iPad/tablet, iPhone, and more. So we're good to go.

There are three new mini-movies included in the combo disc pack ("Wagon-ho," "Forces of Nature," and "Serenade"). These are available on both the blu-ray and DVD. Also included are:
-The Making of the Mini-Movies
-Deleted Scenes
-Seuss to Scene
-Once-ler's Wagon
-Games
-Sing-Along
... and other things we haven't tried.

I initially thought the the DVD has the feature film + a few bonus features, and that no mini-movies are included on the DVD disc. It turns out that the DVD in this combo pack also includes the mini-movies, as well as the other bonus features (the making of the "mini-movies" and other bonus features that are also included in the blu-ray disc). It is possible that the 1-disc version (DVD only) only contains the feature film + bonus features, with no mini-movies included. I did not get the 1-disc (DVD only) version, so I cannot attest to this.

The movie itself has been reviewed by many others here, so I will include a movie review with a later update. For now, I will keep this review on the packaging and discs.

Yes, the movie follows the theme from the Dr. Seuss book, plus more. Drop in the bucket... save the world one tree at a time... don't waste precious resources... any situation can be made into a song and dance number. Take your pick. I don't really care much for the songs, none of which I could remember even after watching the movie in the theaters. Or maybe it's just me.

"A 12-year-old boy searches for the one thing that will enable him to win the affection of the girl of his dreams. To find it he must discover the story of the Lorax, the grumpy yet charming creature who fights to protect his world." IMDB summary.

The character voice overs are made up of an all-star cast, consisting of Danny Devito (The Lorax), Ed Helms (The Once-Ler), Zac Efron (Ted), Taylor Swift (Audrey), and Betty White (Grammy Norma). It is an interesting take on the story, but I was slightly disappointed with many of the book interpretation. Oh well.

Probably the most relevant line from this story is the most appropriate in this day and age:

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. It's not."

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the book, September 22, 2012
I was really excited to watch The Lorax movie with my 2 year-old daughter in hopes it would be as special and timeless as Dr. Seuss' book, The Lorax.... unfortunately, it wasn't.

The animation was good and the story line ok - it was somewhat based on the book after all. However, I personally did not care for the cheesy style of comedy in comparison to other Dr. Seus movies (e.g. Horton Hears a Who - silly but not cheesy). It just wasn't funny to me. Maybe kids will "get it", but I didn't.

My last critique focuses on the casting. No offense to Danny DeVito - he is a great actor and comedian and I enjoy his characters in other shows and films - but I never, in all my years of reading the Lorax, imagined Danny DeVito's voice as the Lorax. It just sounds wrong. I struggled with this the entire film.

Overall, the movie was OK. Not great. It had a lot to live up to and no doubt fell short. I defnitely won't be purchasing this one, but it was entertaining enough as a one-time rental.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Book becomes Great Movie, April 14, 2012
This review is from: Dr. Seuss' The Lorax (DVD)
When I was little like most children I was a fan of Dr. Seuss.. I thought Dr. Seuss was the greatest. Years have passed and I still consider myself a Dr. Seuss lover! This is a way better movie than the Cat in the Hat and The Grinch. I liked Horton Hears a Who but the Lorax was the best of all the movies. The Lorax features lots of songs, and teaches kids lessons about the enviroment. The movie isn't just for little kids I found myself laughing during the movie when Betty White made jokes. People have criticized this movie for ruining the book but I think this is a great supplement to the book. How can you make a childrens book into a movie without adding plot lines and characters? This movie is a need more than a thneed!

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
Dr. Seuss' The Lorax by Kyle Balda (DVD - 2012)
$14.98 $6.82