Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on December 18, 2010
The best thing about this game is that the options are limitless! You can put absolutely any item from your home in the hat which keeps the game new and fresh each time. Our 5 year old and 2 year old both love this game!
VINE VOICEon April 15, 2012
Unfortunately, this "game" isn't so much a game as it is a fancy paper bag. It comes with simple directions: "1. Shuffle the cards and put them face down in rows. 2. Select a player to choose the first Mystery Object. 3. All other players are Guessers."

The cards, themselves, have very simple directions or questions: "Squeeze the hat with two hands." "Lift that hat by the brim." "Is it something we eat?" "Is it shiny?" Obviously, this is a small sampling of the 33 cards. For those with directions, the Guessers simply follow them. For those with questions, the "Hat Master" is charged with responding.

The problem with the game is in the objects that are placed in the hat--there are NONE included. On the one hand, this means there are endless possibilities as to what objects can be used to play. On the other hand, it means that the "game" isn't worth the purchase price. You could easily play this game with a paper bag by allowing the children playing to take turns touching the hat in different ways and/or asking questions of their own choice without using the cards supplied. And if you really wanted that "Cat in the Hat" feel, you could just buy a "Cat in the Hat" hat Dr.Seuss Cat In The Hat - Child Size for half the price.

Again, the game concept is a great one, but it's one you don't need to buy this product to play.
on December 23, 2010
My daughter absolutely loves this game. She's played it for hours and we've only had it for a short while. It's ready to go right out of the box, too. No long setup or confusing instructions. This is a perfect game for a five year old and I would recommend this to anyone.
This quickly became a favorite game of my kids. It keeps them entertained easily for an hour at a time. The rules are simple enough for my 9, 8, and 7 year old to play unassisted, though of course they love to play with mom and dad best! We play a version of this game in the car (more like a "What Am I?" with yes or or questions, to figure out what we are thinking of) so I figured this would be a fun alternative for at home, and there is definitely an added tactile benefit to this version of the game.

I do, however, have a couple recommendations for the way the quality of this game could be improved.
1) The hat. It came bent out of shape and that hasn't improved with use. I understand the benefit of it being made from fabric, but it's a bit awkward. I've had "real" hates (that you can wear) in the Cat in the Hat style, and their structure was far superior. Something like that would be great here.
2) The box it comes in. This really needs improvement. It ARRIVED messed up, with the plastic corner (not shown in the picture) bent down, so that the box never really closes. The plastic is glued in, but not very well. I would recommend making the entire box of cardboard, and sturdier. We keep our games in their original boxes when not playing, and this is disappointing. We also are used to the superior structure and quality of the Peaceable Kingdom games.

Neither of these things have detracted from the enjoyment of the game, but I still feel that manufacturer should always seek to provide the best quality to their customers. It shows they care about us, and while in reality I know they only care about our money, they are more likely to get that money by acting like they care.
on December 3, 2013
We've had this game for a year now. My 4 and 6 year old children still love it, and it is popular with friends who come to play as well. It generates lots of giggles about how creative and silly they can get with the objects that they hide in the hat. They learn deductive reasoning skills as a bonus.
on April 30, 2013
I purchased this for a child with autism to help teach "guessing" and how to play a game. This also teaches listening skills and patience as well as how to use information gathered to make a guess. Very happy with the end lessons learned.
I bought this for a baby shower game. We adopted the mystery objects to baby items. It was quite fun for a small shower. The the older cousin got to keep the game. It is a great game for a verbal toddler. The family is involved, but it doesn't drag on. Itis just the right thing for a cat in the hat day.
on July 30, 2013
I would recommend this to any early childhood educators. I first saw this game last March when one of my kindergarten students brought it in for Dr. Seuss Day. My class loved playing it and it support several learning skills: asking questions,
reading, problem solving and reasoning. They all wanted to play again and again. I had to get this game so I can use it
with each class and not just on Dr. Seuss's Birthday.
on February 13, 2014
I ordered this game for my 4 year old granddaughter. We played it for the first time with 2 children and 4 adults and everyone had fun. It was nice that once she understood the game that she could play by herself. She really liked that she could go off and find something to put in the had on her own. I liked that it wasn't the normal "kid game", it was actually fun for the adults as well.
on September 19, 2013
My 5 year-old loves this game. It is a nice alternative to board games because moving a little piece around a cardboard square can be kind of boring. You really have to chose your questions well and pay attention to the answers.

The nice thing is that it's not a game they'll outgrow - my husband & I are often stumped too! And the game always changes because you can use nearly anything that will fit inside the hat.