5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than a dentist
Published on September 16, 2005 by R. Directo

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT for people with sensitive teeth!
Published on October 19, 2011 by ZenWarrior369

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than a dentist, September 16, 2005
R. Directo "HealingMindN" (Mid-Peninsula, California) - See all my reviews
I have been using the ionic tooth brush for about two years. I haven't had my teeth cleaned by a dentist or dental hygienist in over ten years. I tried to volunteer myself for a dental hygienist so she could get her state license. I didn't qualify because my teeth were TOO CLEAN. Interesting because I only brush my teeth once a day. By the same token I don't eat garbage and I use a daily dental regimen taught to me by a hygienist over twenty years ago. My teeth are far better than most people mostly because of the ionic toothbrush.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT for people with sensitive teeth!, October 19, 2011
ZenWarrior369 (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dr. Tung's Ionic Toothbrush System with Replacement Head (Health and Beauty)
I'd like to warn those with sensitive teeth that this toothbrush, despite having extra soft bristles, exacerbates the problem of sensitive teeth. After using it twice a day for several days, my teeth, which are usually not too sensitive thanks to Sensodyne toothpaste, suddenly became extremely sensitive to hot and cold. Brushing also became unbearably painful, all of which subsided as soon as I went back to using my regular toothbrush. The company unfortunately would not issue a refund. If there had been a warning on the packaging regarding this issue, I would not have purchased the product. Buyer beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars It simply works, February 19, 2009
Ok, so I've been using the electric Oral-B toothbrush for years. A visit to my hygienist this year made me realize I've been using the wrong toothbrush for years. She said my gums were starting to recede especially around my crowns because I may be brushing too hard. After much research I found this toothbrush. It has done wonders. A month after using it, I've noticed a difference in the appearance of my gums. Mind you, it forewarns you to brush properly. Between the bristles (I think they're extra soft and made to go in between teeth/gums well) and the "ionic stuff", something is working. Try it-I'm buying another one for my husband.

5.0 out of 5 stars very underated underpublisized product that actually works, November 21, 2007
I have used ionic toothbrushes for over 10 years and boy do they work.I am not sure why they are not promoted more.They are far superior to sonic or spin type brushes.

1.0 out of 5 stars No better than an ordinary manual toothbrush, October 28, 2010
Van Smith (Vandervoort, Arkansas) - See all my reviews
My Oral-B Professional toothbrush was growing weak after four years of use, so I began searching for a replacement. Dr. Tung's Ionic Toothbrush looked intriguing and promotional material claimed to back up its efficacy with clinical studies, so I ordered one.

The Japanese-made toothbrush is approximately the size and weight of a normal, high quality manual toothbrush. The styling recalls American made clinical instruments of the sixties.

The bristle arrangement is unusual, with interspersed long, soft nylon strands standing over shorter, sturdier bristles. The brush head can be replaced. The toothbrush comes with one spare brush head and one already mounted on the toothbrush.

The Ionic Toothbrush has a 3V battery embedded in the handle. The battery is not replaceable but is supposed to last several years. The battery level can be checked by depressing a button on the handle which will light up a red LED if the battery is still charged.

The handle is wrapped with a metal band that is connected to the positive pole of the battery. The toothbrush head is not charged. Rather, a small hole exists in the stem close to the brush head. This hole exposes the metal mounting rod for the brush head. The rod is connected to the negative pole of the 3V battery.

There is a resistance of approximately 1 million ohms between my wet hand and my mouth. A 3-volt potential difference across this load will result in a current of only 3 microamps for a power consumption rate of a mere 9 microwatts.

However, this assumes direct contact from my mouth with the negatively charged metal rod, which never occurs. Instead, electricity has to flow through saliva for a distance of several millimeters to reach mouth tissue. This imposes a resistance of several more million ohms, bringing the total brushing current down to well under one microamp and the electric power to under one microwatt. In comparison, there are about three microwatts of power impinging upon every square meter of the Earth's surface from cosmic microwave background radiation left over from the Big Bang. A quartz wristwatch consumes about one microwatt of power. A typical wireless router signal carries over 70,000 times more power. An ordinary LED pocket flashlight uses several million times more electrical power than Dr. Tung's Ionic Toothbrush delivers for cleaning.

Given the exceedingly low voltage (electrostatic voltages that cause paper to cling to a balloon are on the order of thousands of volts) and the minuscule electric power delivery, it is difficult to see any potential for efficacy. Indeed, if you study some of the research backing the Ionic Toothbrush, you will find issues. For instance, one study reported no benefit from using the Ionic Toothbrush for users who already had good oral hygiene.

Despite my growing skepticism, I brushed my teeth with Dr. Tung's Ionic Toothbrush for a period of ten days. Almost immediately I could detect that my teeth were not being cleaned nearly as well as with electric toothbrushes (including brushes from Interplak, Oral-B, Waterpik and Sonicare). After a week using Dr. Tung's Ionic Toothbrush, by simply running my tongue against my teeth I could easily feel significant amounts of plaque that had accumulated on them in that short time.

Consequently, I ordered from Amazon the Oral-B Smartseries 5000 Professional Care Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush. With rebate, this outstanding toothbrush only cost me about $50 and delivers far better cleaning for my teeth than did Dr. Tung's Ionic Toothbrush.

In summary, I detected no better performance from Dr. Tung's Ionic Toothbrush than what one would expect from a normal, manual toothbrush costing far less. Moreover, while the principle of electrostatic manipulation of plaque might indeed lead to better cleaning, the science behind its implementation in the Ionic Toothbrush is specious. For me, Dr. Tung's Ionic Toothbrush failed to clean my teeth nearly as well as good electric toothbrushes from Interplak, Oral-B, Waterpik or Sonicare.

5.0 out of 5 stars My #1 favorite item on Amazon, May 8, 2010
By far the best toothbrush I've ever used. I've had several generations of sonicares, brawns, etc. and this puppy works much, much better than any of them. If I had the time and money I'd buy a few thousand and pass them out on the streets. Yes, it's that good. For your own sake stop over-analyzing and just get one right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never going back to my electric toothbrush again!, December 5, 2006
M. Soehendra (California, U.S) - See all my reviews
I just started using this toothbrush less than 2 weeks ago and already I can tell a difference! My teeth feel clean ALL THE TIME, as if I just brushed them. I was really skeptical at first, but decided to take the risk anyways. I'm so glad I gave it a try. I am also using less toothpaste, about 1/3 of what I used before. This toothbrush is the best $20 something dollar that I've ever spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, glad I bought it., July 13, 2008
seraph (Kalamazoo, MI USA) - See all my reviews
The head of the toothbrush is small and the neck is slim, so it is easy to reach all areas in my mouth. I find the bristles medium-soft. This ionic toothbrush really does work to give me that "clean mouth feeling" after a professional tooth cleaning. Before, brushing teeth was a chore but now it's fun to brush and immediately feel and see the results.

I'm really happy I decided to buy an ionic toothbrush. I did as much research as possible to make sure this wasn't some quack product. My teeth became sensitive to cold liquids the next day (too clean? haha) but using a toothpaste for sensitive teeth cured that for me. I'm using the new Sensodyne ProNamel and I do recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars UNREMARKABLE, BUT IT WORKS!, January 10, 2011
The IONIC TOOTHBRUSH at first glance appears to be either a great idea or a laughable dose of snake oil for the techno-gulible. Is there any real science behind its claims? Read on.

Ionically- charged particles can be attracted to a surface of another surface by using an electronic charge. You make a good "contact" with the brush by holding its metal activation bar on the grip. You need to wet your hands to make for better conductivity (don't try this with your hairdryer, please!). By completing the circuit, the toothbrush itself becomes a gunk magnet. It does not so much "brush your teeth" (you still need to brush up and down, etc) but the gunk comes off easier because of the electric change. Another was of looking at this is that the gunk, once lifted from your teeth, will now stick to the brush and not to other teeth.

A few more notes- Don't think you use this brush as a mini dust magnet. The gunk has to be in your mouth and the circuit is completed only by holding the brush and applying the bristles to your teeth. To answer the unspoken question of the day, NO, this "current" can not hurt you, nor can it be used as a substitute for electro shock therapy. ;)

So, does it actually work? Here's my experience- due to extensive dental surgery, I need to brush very lightly with a soft bristle brush. The IONIC TOOTHBRUSH features an ultra-fine bristle that is very soft and comfortable on sensitive gums. I would recommend this brush on that feature alone-- but here's where the bell and whistle comes in. As per the products claim, my teeth really did feel cleaner to the tongue. I also noticed a distinct cleaning action on gum surfaces that results in a cleaner tasting mouth. I have never used the brush with toothpaste, so I attribute the cleaning action to the ionic effect. I am not a testing lab-- therefore I am giving this item a 4 STAR rating because its claim for the brush's enhanced action cannot actually be proven objectively.

So, if you need to avoid traditional scrubbing for sensitive gums recovering from periodontal disease or other inflamation, THE IONIC TOOTHBRUSH may very well be the answer. It is very gentle, as opposed to any other type of electric brush) and seems to offer enhanced cleaning action. It is in my opinion not a viable substitute for good old-fashioned brushing and flossing, but it has its place in overall dental care. There is even a nifty amber LED that lights to indicate that you fully charged and loaded.

For a mere $20, I recommend the IONIC TOOTHBRUSH as an inexpensive electronic toy that may or may not work as claimed. However, when you consider the thousands of dollars you'll spend on dentistry in a lifetime, THE IONIC TOOTHBRUSH seems to be a dirt cheap added bit of health insurance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes mouths happy!, March 8, 2007
Levi Roberts "501reasons" (My own little corner...) - See all my reviews
I feel extra clean now. My tongue, my teeth, my gums -- this toothbrush has amazingly soft bristles that work extremely well. I don't understand "ionic" stuff that well, but this things leaves my mouth all fresh!

Dr. Tung's Ionic Toothbrush System with Replacement Head