1,335
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Grey-LightChange
Price:$14.01 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 18, 2011
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Grey-LightVerified Purchase
Here's the thing: A lot of people have bad things to say about the 11th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver. And they're valid complaints. BUT, I think it's over-all a great product.

About the seller:
AWESOME. The product came with no problems or complications, and it arrived two days before the estimated arrival date.

About the Screwdriver itself:
-It IS kind of lame that when the claws are extended you have to push the button at the bottom to activate the light and sounds.
-It IS kind of lame that the main button on the side doesn't quite line up sometimes, so when the claw is not deployed, and you're supposed to be able to use the primary button, about half the time it doesn't work.
-A lot of customers say that installing the batteries is overly complicated and difficult.

BUT!
-Releasing the claws and the spring action is SO satisfying and makes you feel like you're gonna take on the whole Dalek empire singlehandedly.
-I didn't have any trouble at all installing the batteries. It was simple and quick.
-Sure, it's disappointing that the main button is finicky. But it requires you to adjust the top of the screwdriver or hold it in a specific way. It takes a delicate touch and I've gotten pretty good at it while my friends still can't get it. And that makes me feel even more like the Doctor. It's totally an oversight on the part of the manufacturer, but it's fitting that you have to fumble about and make the screwdriver work sometimes just like The Doctor often does with his technology.

Overall, it's an awesome toy. It's not perfect, but who cares? It's 20 bucks and you get to run around annoying your friends, pretending to be the doctor, and sonic-ing everything in sight.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 20, 2012
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Grey-LightVerified Purchase
Epic. Well designed. Well built. But still doesn't do wood. Goodness, I'll have to invent a setting for that, it's embarrassing!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 18, 2011
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Grey-LightVerified Purchase
This is not for people who are careless and rough with their toys. For the price, I'm not surprised that it's made of plastic. It really does look a lot like the 11th Doctor's screwdriver, but because it's made of plastic, it doesn't have much weight to it. This is not a negative criticism given the price and the materials used. The light and sounds work just fine with the extender claws retracted and extended.

There were a lot of negative statements about installing the batteries. This made me hesitate to order the item, but I found that it wasn't difficult to put the batteries in at all. I think there will be some subset of people who will find it more involved than others, and that's all there is to it. This toy doesn't use AAAs. It uses three 1.5V L1154 disc batteries (thicker versions of your average wrist watch battery). You'll need a small tipped Phillips screwdriver to open the battery casing. Not a huge difference from most toys. And if you want to be really careful, the toy does come with instructions.

When the claws are extended, the black button that turn on the LED light and sound is disengaged. There is a hidden red button at the tip of the handle that allows you to make the sound and turn on the light instead. This is because when you extend the claw, the button that enables light and sound extends with the claws--a design choice made by the manufacturers. You can see a very small black button along the shaft that lines up with the regular button when the claw is extended. If you have little fingers, you can press that button to engage the sounds and light instead of using the hidden red button.

I suppose that a more involved design that allows the use of the same button whether or not the claws are extended would have raised the price. The 11th Doctor's sonic screwdriver is mechanically more complicated than the ones that preceded it. The more moving parts there are, the more likely something will break, the more thought needs to go into the design, and the more expensive it will be. That said, the challenge here was to balance accuracy, functionality, and price. I am guessing they didn't want it to be ridiculously more expensive than the earlier sonic screwdrivers. Food for thought.

We got this for our 10 year-old who is a fan of the new Doctor Who series. There are other toys at this price range that are rubbish. In our experience and given my son's interest in Doctor Who, this isn't one of them.

Overall, it's a fun toy. My son has been playing with it on and off without any problems.
on December 23, 2010
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Grey-LightVerified Purchase
I don't know what you twonks are complaining about. I had no problems with the battery compartment. You just need a very small Phillips-head screwdriver (I used my eyeglass repair kit). The batteries fit in fine and it works great! I'm having lots of fun sonicing my cat, Corwin. He runs from the green light, but he seems to like the ultraviolet of the 10th Doctor's screw driver. I agree that this one feels way more solid. Albeit it's plastic, fells very durable. I'm going to enjoy rewatching the episodes and sonicing along with the Doctor, though my fiance will probably hit me if I use it too often! Overall,great fun! Highly recommended!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2011
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Grey-Light
It's a VERY cool toy and has impressed many of my Whovian friends. It's not completely flaw free, after all, it's a TOY! The bottom button cover has seemed to lose it's ability to remain closed (I plan on embedding two small magnets to fix that). If you don't have the top half snugged on tightly, it's possible it will completely pop off.

HOWEVER, there is a little secret to this toy! It has a HIDDEN FEATURE! At present, if you press the sound/light button, it alternates between two sounds. HOWEVER, if you quickly press it THREE times and hold, you get a new sound. THEN, press and hold FOUR times, you get another new sound! Enjoy!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Grey-Light
I will admit, I had higher hopes for this toy. I have several sonic screwdrivers (9/10 UV light edition, Future Sonic from "Silence in the Library", the Master's Laser Screwdriver), and have always been impressed by the quality of the product and it's versatility during cosplay. Aside from a few instances where the screwdriver felt a bit brittle, I've dropped them all only to find them in perfect condition afterwards. So I expected nothing less than similar quality when I ordered the new 11th Doctor screwdriver.

Right off the bat, things went horribly wrong. After a gut-wrenching time trying to twist off the top to access the battery case (I felt like I was going to snap the extender arms), I found that one of the screws (the one closest to the inside) was of extremely poor quality and stripped as I was trying to open it. So here I was, unable to open the casing without cracking it. I eventually had to break the casing off just to access the batteries, and smooth down the sides so the device would extend properly. (It still doesn't, it only extends halfway on the initial press, and halfway when the button is released, unless you tap it very fast, at which point it will extend fully in one shot.)

After inserting the batteries and testing the device out, I found that the only way to turn on the SFX while the device was extended was to use the second access button, hidden at the base of the handle. While mine worked (I know this is a common issue- several of my friends have found the second button does not work at all, even when extended), it feels like an incredibly poor idea to have the second button be the only one that works while the device is extended. It would have made more sense for the buttons to work the other way around- it makes the device ungainly to hold and wield while extended.

Speaking of extension: I tried to place mine back in the box for display, only to find that once it clicked back into the holding tray, the device would turn on...and stay on. None of the buttons were being pressed, it just refused to shut off until I removed it from the tray. I've read reviews that this sometimes happen when the device is extended, but the seemingly random nature behind mine made me remove the batteries before I could store it.

As to the design of the torch itself: I have no real complaints. While the screwdriver resembles a single handed lightsaber hilt (a friend of mine refers to it as a cattle prod as well), it has a strangely comfortable grip and is easy to twirl around. From a strictly aesthetic point of view, I don't dislike it. It looks a lot more "futuristic" than other screwdriver models (even the Future Screwdriver, which I jokingly say looks like something out of steampunk), and it is a bit more fun to wave around. But all the aesthetics in the world cannot save this from being poorly produced and designed. I have the distinct feeling they rushed this out as fast as they could without proper testing, from the fans or designers. Character Options needs to seriously review their design schematics before producing more of these.

On a side note: as I write this, I am chatting with a friend who is messing with his screwdriver. He said that while we were going over the flaws in the design, his backfired and now no longer makes any sounds or lights. Like some others, the hidden button on his never worked properly, and two of the clamps were loose out of the box. I would like to test mine out to see if the same issues would happen, but at the same time am reluctant to see my screwdriver break any further.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2010
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Grey-LightVerified Purchase
After "sonic"ing everything within a 300 mile radius, the screwdriver stands up well so far. A fun toy and great conversation piece. Doesn't do wood. Or deadlock seals. Oh well.
on June 13, 2012
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Grey-LightVerified Purchase
I've been a Who fan since 1976. In my opinion Matt Smith has the coolest sonic screwdriver of them all. This replica is plastic (what isn't these days?) and that's the biggest downside to this item. I'm an adult collector (in a fan sense, not "collector" sense) who on the occasion plays with it with my granddaughter. I have a lot of Who toys. We really enjoy this screwdriver. It has two sonic sounds and the pop-up mechanism is solid. I'm never afraid of breaking it. I'm not a little kid running through the house like a terrorist zapping stuff. I can only imagine that's why some reviewers here are down on it.
on May 21, 2012
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Grey-LightVerified Purchase
I just received my sonic today, and have experienced a couple of the common flaws - first that the claw does not extend fully every time, and second that it's inconvenient to have to use the button on the end when the claw is extended. However, both have extremely simple solutions. If the claw does not fully extend, all you have to do is open and close the battery compartment. It's quick and easy, and it makes the claw work properly again. I have to do this fairly often, but it's no bother. For the button, when the claw is extended you can see the little black button on the extended area just in front of the main button. Push that little button, and the sonic works without having to use the button on the end. It's kind of cramped to stick your thumb in there, but it works wonderfully.

There are a total of four sound settings, which is great - I have the Tenth Doctor's sonic as well, and it just has one setting (though if you listen closely, it does have two slightly different sounds). The 11th Doctor's does NOT have a pen in it and it really purely for fun, where the 10th Doctor's is actually a useful device - I've used the pen and the UV light many times for many reasons, from check hotel rooms for...residues...to determining whether a check is authentic. Therefore, I keep the 10th Doctor's sonic in my car, and the 11th Doctor's at home, so I'm never without a sonic.

Overall, I think this toy is fantastic, but it is just that - a toy. It's not as sturdy as it could be, but for what it is it's definitely worth it. I have to agree with a previous reviewer that the spring loaded claw is extremely satisfying.
on April 10, 2010
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Grey-LightVerified Purchase
If you've owned any of the previous Sonic Screwdrivers, you may think you know what to expect with this one. For the most part it's very similarly constructed, however it feels far more solid. The tenth doctor's screwdriver kind of felt like it might snap in two if you weren't careful. This screwdriver does not leave that impression at all.

All in all, I'm having fun with this. Great for collectors, or as a prop for your next Halloween costume.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations