Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: DVDChange

on September 15, 2004
Let me say at the start that it's the perfect (and required) companion-piece to Mel's own classic, "Young Frankenstein."

That said, I have to admit - this movie grew on me.

When it first came out in 1995 I was still in the military and, though a great fan of Mel's films, I didn't have time to go see it. Given it's evident lack of theatrical success, it was available on VHS shortly there after and I rented it from a local video store.

At first, it was amusing, but not much else.

However, my local renter gave me two weeks to review it and, as I watched with more attention to detail, I grew to appreciate it's comic genius.

Others have written that it's a salute to Universal's 1937 classic "Dracula." It's all of that, but much more. It mocks elements of Frank Langella's sexy 1979 "Dracula," but the most obvious parody is Francis Ford Coppola's much more pretentious "Bram Stoker's Dracula."

Much of the dialogue is lifted, verbatim, from Universal's "Dracula," but given a new twist. For example the theater scene where Leslie Nielsen, as Dracula, attempts to contact Dr. Seward (played by Harvey Korman) and, before entering their opera box, instructs the usherette (played by Leslie Sachs) to "remember nothing of what I have said" - she takes him at his word and throws open the curtains to only stare at Seward & company and wonder blankly why she's there!

Another bit of amusing trivia is the famous stake scene. Steven Weber, playing Jonathon Harker, drives a stake through Lucy Westenra's (portrayed by Lysette Anthony) heart. In the production, no one told Steven that gallons and gallons of fake blood would erupt - and it shows! You can actually see Steven struggle to remember his lines and go on with the show.

One other bit of trivia - if there any Cub Scout Leaders out there who've seen this movie, check me out on this. In the Ball Room scene where Mel Brooks (playing Dr. Van Helsing) is decked out in tuxedo, isn't the medal he's wearing on his lapel a "Tiger Cub Leader" scout medal?

See it - Buy it - Love it. It's very nearly the last of a genre of humor that can be enjoyed by every generation of your family. From the youngest to the oldest, all will find a reason to laugh.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2000
As with "Young Frankenstein" you sort of need to have seen the original Universal films (if not the Francis Ford Copolla version) to get all the jokes. This might be the favorite vampire movie for pre-teen kids. It sure is in my house. Leslie Nielsen has the Dracula role nailed in what is his best performance outside of the Police Squad movies (George Hamilton, eat your heart out). Mel Brooks is slightly over the top, but since when is that news? You have to go back to "Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein" to find something this funny involving vampires.
on January 5, 2000
I think just about every person I've every spoken to about Mel Brooks has told me the same think:"My favorite is "Blazing Saddles!" or "I love "Young Frankenstein!" But this is one you'll never hear anyone mention.(To some people that's a good thing!) I was surpised to see what other viewers thought of this movie. I assumed everyone HATED it! But this is the kind of film you'd expect from Mel Broks,the man who brought you "Spaceballs",or "High Anxiety". A silly crazy spoof! The only way the enjoy this movie is to sit back and relax! It's not a masterpiece! It's a light hearted comedy! Good for some laughs! The mirror scene at the end will induce the biggest laughs!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This spoof of the Dracula films is certainly not the best of Mel Brooks' parodies, but in spite of the predictability and often corny attributes of this movie, I found myself laughing and enjoying the really good parts and forgiving the bombs. We all know the story, so it's up to the cast and crew to make it seem fresh. Leslie Nielsen is surprisingly low key in the role of the mysterious Count, but he's nonetheless effective. Peter MacNicol plays the looney bugeating Renfield and with his zany voice and those wacky eyebrows, he's a real hoot. Lysette Anthony outshines Amy Yasbeck in the doomed female role, with her lusty sexuality compared to Yasbeck's more prim and proper lass. Writer/director Mel Brooks is subdued as Van Helsing, but he still has that old cinematic charm. The talented Harvey Korman does well in his role as Yasbeck's veddy proper English doctor, and Steven Weber's stuffy Jonathan Harker is quite good. Brooks' late wife Anne Bancroft has a hilarious cameo as the village gypsy with the warbling voice.

Some of the best gags involved Dracula's naughty shadow and the staking of Miss Lucy.

Not a classic, but enjoyable.
on April 29, 2006
This was another entertaining Mel Brooks farce, a la Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles. If you liked those, you'd like this.

Peter MacNichol almost steals the show in this film as "Renfield." He just drives me buggy. Leslie Nielsen, who revived his career later in life playing goofy roles, also is very good, this time as 'Dracula." Actually, I thought he was far better in here than in those other spoofs, such as the "Naked Gun" series. It may be his best comedic role.

The two women in here, Amy Yasback and Lysette Anthony, are beautiful, and well-endowed as Brooks - and a lot of us guys - likes 'em. They are in the film for their looks while the other two provide the laughs.

Story-wise, it's just a light-hearted look at the story of Dracula, told many times in the films, mostly in the serious vein (pun intended) except for "Love At First Bite" which was similar in laughs to this. After watching this film, I could never look at garlic or blood the same way!

When you need some good laughs and nothing else, this DVD fills the need for an hour-and-a-half.
on November 24, 2006
God help me, but I do love Mel Brooks' movies. I love the sight gags, the one-liners, the play-on-words, and the fun he pokes at "serious" movies. Watching a Mel Brooks film has pulled me out of countless bad days, and sent me to bed with a smile on my face. "Dracula - Dead and Loving It" did not fail in that regard:

Count Dracula - "Children of the night...what a mess they make."

Thomas Renfield - "My God, what ARE you doing to the furniture? I'll have you know that's my knee you're straddling! This is wrong, do you hear me, wrong!............. Wrong me! Wrong me! Wrong my brains out! Two voluptuous women...grinding, heaving! It's hard to describe it...have you ever been to Paris?"

Doctor Seward - "Give him an will give him a feeling of accomplishment."

Count Dracula - "They had it coming!"

Lucy Westenra - "Let me show you the deep, raw passion of unbridled sexual frenzy."
Jonathan Harker - "But Lucy...I'm British!"
Lucy Westenra - "So are these!"

Professor Van Helsing - "Hit her again, she's almost dead!"
Jonathan Harker - "She's dead enough! So much blood!"
Professor Van Helsing - "We should have put newspapers down. I have been to many, many have to know where to stand! You know, everything in life is location, location, location."

Mina Seward - "No hickies!"

And I am still waiting for Mel to release History of the World Part 2, so I can see "Hitler on Ice" and "Jews in Space."
on September 2, 2004
While adhering remarkably to Bram Stoker's classic novel, Mel Brooks has also carefully recreated the atmosphere of the classic Hammer horror films without sacrificing a bit of his offhand and thoroughly hilarious madness, managing to create a minor classic of his own. While Leslie Nielson is the nominal star of the film, and Brooks himself plays his nemesis Dr. Van Helsing, for my money it is Harvey Korman's scenes which win the film and the day (or, rather, night). The tea-time interview-and-spider-eating scene with Korman as the pompous Dr. Seward and Peter MacNicol as the wheedling Renfield ("It was a raspberry!"), to mention just one example, is not to be missed. There are lots of others. By the way, if you see this film before reading the novel, you just might think the novel is based on the film. Now that really is spooky.
on August 30, 2006
"Dracula: Dead And Loving It" is another Mel Brooks masterpiece, among his best alongside "Robin Hood: Men In Tights." This is a fantastic and amusing movie with good jokes and lots of funny scenes. You will find yourself laughing your lungs out as you watch the movie

Mel Brooks took the horror story of Bram Stoker's Dracula and made it into a hilarious movie. Leslie Nielson played his role exceptionally well producing some unforgettable funny scenes. This is a well made movie with exceptional cinematography and great acting. I have watched the movie several times and can't stop laughing. The mirror scene to me was the height of the comedy.

Highly recommend to people with a sense of humour. Also recommended that you buy "Robin Hood Men in Tights", if you have not already done so.
on September 30, 1999
I first saw a clip of this film on a movie chart show and I knew there and then that I had to have it. The directing is superb as is the script. This film is one of the best spoofs I have ever seen, in second would be airplane II the sequal. The acting in this is perfect and I would thouroughly recommend it to anyone. Well Done all envolved.
on May 11, 2012
Pretty good, but not Mel Brooks' best ever: that's still "Blazing Saddles." And it's not even his best parody: that's still "Young Frankenstein."

Leslie Nielsen plays Count Dracula and Mel Brooks plays Professor Van Helsing. I didn't recognize the names of any of the rest of the cast. The plot line sticks surprisingly close to the original book, which is not the usual thing for a satire or a comedy made from a serious book. Of course, much detail is dispensed with, as it always is in converting a book to a movie.

Still, there are some very funny parts. And there are parts which are clever, if not exactly funny in the usual Mel Brooks way. For example, to prove that Dracula is a vampire, Van Helsing and Dr. Seward set up a fancy ball to which they invite the count. When he starts to dance with Mina, Dr. Seward's daughter, they uncover a huge mirror and observe that while Mina shows in the mirror, Dracula does not. Dracula is caught up in the dance, and does not notice the mirror. He lifts Mina over his head, spins her around, and generally does a great many things she couldn't possibly do on her own. Yet of course in the mirror she is dancing alone, even when high in the air. It was fun, but the segment went on too long, well after we all got the point.

Several elements seem to have no other purpose but to be ridiculous, which I suppose is consistent with Mel Brooks' style. One is the huge pompadour wig Dracula wears, and seems to treat it like a hat to take off whenever he chooses. Indeed, the second time he does this, he refers to it as his hat. Also he and Van Helsing talk in some ancient language, and act like schoolboys in insisting on having the last word. But since these words are never translated, it seems to have very little point indeed.

I suppose there is enough here to recommend it, especially if you get a bargain.