Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

VINE VOICEon March 11, 2014
Imagine my surprise when i tried to install this and had endless trouble. I contacted EA/Origin support, and they told me this is not a mac game anymore. If you download the [Mac Download], you'll get a file that can only be played on windows.

Yes, i've contact amazon support about this.
66 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2011
I've tucked this review here because this is how I played Dragon Age: Origins, on my Mac downloaded directly from the internet. I understand there are some difference in control between PC's and consoles. I found the controls on the Mac to be pretty tight. The point & click was so effective and easy that I honeslty can't imagine how you would make it work on the console. Does it run similar to Mass Effect? I wouldn't think so, but...

Dragon Age does so many things right it's hard to know where to begin. Visuals are tight, music and audio is satisfying. Combat is fun, if a bit repetitive: it plays, I guess, similar to World of Warcraft, in that you stand toe to toe with your enemy and swing weapons and unleash skills&spells (as oppose to Mass Effect's over the shoulder Run'n'Gun). It's effective and the ability to pause at any time to issue orders to your party of four adds a level of strategy (you can also pre-program everyone's AI so they run simple scripts when you're not controlling them). The character classes you can choose from are distinct and functional, if unoriginal (warrior, mage, rogue: not groundbreaking stuff). Thought it should be said that, if you DON'T play as a rogue, there will be chests and therefor items that remain permanently out of reach to you: the game lacks away to open chests besides lock picking and there are times when you need to go alone, without the support of your posse.

What Dragon Age does best, and I suppose this isn't a surprise given BioWare's track record, is character development. You choose your character's past and present and those things have a DIRECT AND TANGIBLE effect on the story. That's something a lot of designers either don't understand or don't want to be bothered with: we don't just want to MAKE the choices, we want to see them have a lasting effect on the game world. And Dragon Age does that over and over. Choose to be dwarf royalty? You bet they're gonna want to talk to you when it comes time to pick the next king. You're a wizard? Guess what, you're persecuted and need to start off locked in a tower. Yes, the bulk of the story plays out pretty linearly, but your opening quests and a good chunk of the later parts of the game are affected or completely changed by the character you've chosen to be and the choices you've made along the way. It's infinitely rewarding and adds depth and replay value. By the time you reach the end (a very satisfying and well-thought out end) your character is a full person whom all other characters have specific opinions about and who has had a heavy hand in shaping the world. Just wait and see the epilogue that breaks down the effects of DOZENS AND DOZENS OF SEEMINGLY MINOR CHOICES. It's top notch writing and there needs to be more of that in game development these days. Yeah, I'm talking to you Assassin's Creed!

It's a little slow to start, a little tricky to nail down combat, but the story and the characters will stick with you long after the last battle.
VINE VOICEon June 16, 2011
I bought and played this game on the PS3 when it first came out, and have replayed it a few times since. I recently got a new Apple iMac MC309LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop and had planned to eventually set it up with boot camp and Windows, so I could play Dragon Age and some other games at my desk. Then I saw this available for download and decided to give it a try.

It runs great. I have all the graphics settings at max and play at full resolution. There is a tiny bit of flickering when cut scenes play and the camera pans to an area with different brightness, but other than that I've noticed no issues at all. Has never crashed and is extremely fast. Much faster than the PS3.

This port appears to be running a custom WINE emulator, which probably adds some processing baggage... but probably not as much as Windows itself would do. ;) There doesn't seem to be any way to purchase DLC for the Mac version at this point, but it does include The Stone Prisoner and the Blood Dragon Armor.

I can't speak to how well it runs on older Macs, but if you have a 2011 iMac, even the cheapest model, you'll love it.
on July 24, 2011
The game's a lot of fun, runs well with middling to high settings on my 2008 MacBook Pro, looks great, but is hard on the normal difficulty level. Plays a lot like some MMOs (like World of Warcraft, for instance), not a big fan of some of the radial menus used (like in the inventory), but otherwise I've found it quite enjoyable. A good buy, in my opinion.
on August 10, 2013
Purchased from Amazon. My wife is the IT at school and couldn't get it to install on my Macbook Pro OS10. Amazon said to call the software company. Company was hard to reach and even less help once I got to someone. HIGHLY FRUSTRATED. Several days later once we did get the game working, it had some hitches. No a satisfied customer.
on December 13, 2011
The game is great, huge RPG with many side quests and complex characters. The game I absolutely love, I haven't had more fun in ages.
I bought this game for $20 (ultimate edition which includes Origins and Awakening was $30 at that moment) just to discover a week after that amazon had drop the price of the ultimate to $12, and since game downloads are not refundable I'm screwed.
If you like RPGs you will like this game, but if the price of the ultimate edition is still lower, go for it obviously.
on January 6, 2015
I'm mainly into JRPGs but I thought I'd give this one a shot because I was pretty bored. There are a few starting options (human, dwarf, elf, mage, etc), but I only played one of them and didn't even bother finishing it. The story is okay, but not thrilling to me. The controls and battles can feel like an annoyance at times as I didn't seem to have the type of precision I would have liked. Plus your allies seem to not be very bright as they'll just walk right in front of you while you're casting your big spell, and if you have friendly fire on they can take quite a beating.

I think they intended the game to have a lot of replay values with all the different starting and configuration options, but, from what I can tell, the stories don't differ THAT much between them (mainly the starting and endings are different, but the middle gameplay is very similar).
on March 31, 2014
This download process is riddled with errors. It's been 3 weeks, and EA wont respond to requests for help. But, really, what more can you expect from a company like EA? Just terrible.

The game itself is great, mind you. I bought an in-store copy and it was worth every penny. But don't to the online download. It works with DAII, but I guess someone just didn't bother working through the bugs in DAI
on January 26, 2013
Amazing game, brilliant voice acting and an engrossing plot. Lost a star because the level scaling seemed a bit obvious/annoying to me...there's almost no chance of getting a high level armor drop early in the game, and the vice versa is true later on....makes it seem like you haven't accomplished much at times. By the time you've amassed enough gold to buy great armor from shops, you're near enough to the end of the game that it doesn't matter much. Other than that, great game. I'll be playing it again!
on November 8, 2013
This game looks beautiful and the story is fantastic. There are a lot of great characters, plenty of awesome environments, and with all the details as far as the lore and backstories it's easy to get caught up for hours. I really liked to strategic combat mechanics that has you using all your character's classes to their fullest. Different difficulty settings allow it to be both accessible and challenging at the same time. It ran great on my MacBook Pro 15. I love this game!

See 1 answered question