Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

on December 14, 2011
I was totally excited to win this book for free on Goodreads First Reads!
The cover is absolutely beautiful. The story within also has potential to be beautiful, but as it is the first in a series, we do not know how it ends yet. So far it is doing well.
I did have a little trouble understanding the language of the new world introduced in the book. I never did figure out the difference between a dragon and a dragoon. It was also a little difficult keeping track of the history of Aster and how it affects the present story. The characters could use a little more development, but are still interesting and carry the story along well. Once you start to figure out the language of the book the story comes out really nicely.
Overall I really enjoyed this book and am excited for the next one.
on March 11, 2012
This book starts out fairly well but I kept losing track of the story as words I've never heard of before were being used to describe what the characters were doing or to name the creatures. Without the introduction or explanation of these words being intergrated into the story I found it difficult to really get into the book which was a shame cause this tale if written thoroughly would have been a book I would have found hard to put down.
on December 8, 2012
Cover

This is such a pretty cover! I like that even with the simplicity of it, the colors make it beautiful. The font is cool and I really like the dragon in the back. Great cover art!

Characters

I didn't know who was who in this book. SO much is introduced in the very beginning, from characters to locations to information. The only character I could follow was Kas but I still wasn't even sure what his story was. A guide would have made it easier to understand. I couldn't relate to any of these characters so none of them stuck out for me.

Story

Same thing with the story. I read a few amazing reviews on this book on GoodReads to see if it was just me. Maybe if my brain worked differently I could have grasped the in depth writing, but being kind of a dumb dumb didn't help in this situation. I can't say that it's bad even given the rating because the writing itself is VERY descriptive. Just way too descriptive for my mind to wrap itself around. This book made me feel stupid...

But I can't say that I wouldn't recommend it. This one was iffy. I know that the right person could absolutely love it. It just wasn't right for me.

Quote(s)

"Why don't you just show me the way out of this dream?" Sybl said.
"I can show you the way out. If you promise to remember me."- Love it!
on October 21, 2012
This book was about dragons, which should have been enough to interest me. But no, it started out slow and then just got maddeningly ridiculous. I HATE STORIES WHERE THE STRONG SMART GUY BECOMES A DUMBASS JUST BY SLEEPING WITH THE HEROINE. Predictably predictable. What, just cause he gets laid he loses his warrior skills? really? Don't bother unless you really really need a snooze. This is paranromance nyquil.
on February 6, 2012
How many of us have ever wished to escape this world and enter into another realm of unusual geography, adventure, prophecies, and strange creatures to then find ourselves at the very center of a war between the forces of good and evil? As a child growing up in a high-rise building, and later as an adolescent living in the suburbs, I dreamed and dreamed of escaping this world-where I felt I had little importance or impact in the greater happenings of our planet-to another place where I could take part in ensuring the victory of good over the wicked elements of fear, greed, and corruption. Films of fantasy (such as The Never Ending Story, Labyrinth, and Tron) and books (such as The Chronicles of Narnia, The Fionavar Tapestry, and The Dark Tower series by Stephen King) were what I gravitated to because they entertained that possibility of escaping this realm for one of high peril, hazard, magic, and adventure.

Reading Dragon Aster and following Sybl's story brought me back to those childhood and adolescent desires as I found myself alongside the protagonist, a girl lost and alone on Earth, who is then brought into the incredible dragon filled world of Aster. Although you may find yourself initially confused and bewildered by the unusual language and numerous characters of the story this experience becomes the story's strength for you are Sybl, a character who has been cast into this other world and who must remain attentive to quickly understand the language, dragon lineages, and history of Aster.

The pace of the book is fast and you can most likely finish the story in two or three sittings. After finishing the story, and deciphering and understanding the unusual language of Aster, I decided to begin reading the book again.

I would definitely recommend this book to fantasy fans of dragon lore.
on April 13, 2013
I really enjoyed the Dragon Aster trilogy from S, J. Wist. The author does a great job introducing the reader into the fantastical and complex realm of Aster. Aster is a world that is linked to earth but filled with a wide variety of creatures, some that transform into dragon forms and others that have other forms. This world is in turmoil and there is a prophecy that a Fay would come to save them. I recommend becoming familial with the glossary terms to help you understand this new world but once you get acquainted you will be enthralled. Sybl was a great character in the series; she has had a hard time and feels lost. Once she meets Cyrrus and is taken into Aster, one can see her slow transformation into a hero. Cyrrus is a white dragon/man who also has some scars to deal with along the way. The characters and the world in the books are well crafted and interesting to read. The romance in the story is really great and I feel like I became personally attached to the characters introduced in the book. There is hope that the author will continue the series and I can revisit the world and the characters. I will definitely be reading more from this author and recommend this book to readers of fantasy.
on November 9, 2011
I purchased this book from Amazon, Dragon Aster. It's not just a fantasy, but a romance between Cirrus from Aster, and the protagonist Sybl from Earth. There is only one set of remaining doors that joins both universal realms, and let's just say they're in bad need of repair. Once you get all the dragons lineage figured out it's a very enjoyabale read. They don't need to use auditory speaking they can communicate with 'Threads' that can be picked up and heard within their brains. The dragons from Aster can change into a somewhat human form and back into a dragon, and can heal themselves once injuried in battle. The ending leaves you wanting to know who fired the shots, but that will have to wait until the second book. S.J. Wist has a vivid immagination, and this is a very unusual book. It takes you into places that only a truly gifted writer can take you. I think my favorite character was Loki and then Sybl and Cirrus. Laura L Helland/Stolmeier
on October 29, 2011
This book is good, well developed and intriguing. If you like dragons you will enjoy this. It takes a bit to get into, as you need to understand the setting but once you are there the story flows and pulls you with it.

5 stars well deserved.