5.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but a great release nonetheless
Published 5 months ago by Kaiju Moth

3.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect
The only reason i got this was the price. Its not a great release its also not the worst but the cropping and colours ruin what could have been a great blu ray. Hopefully in the future they make a release like the level sets again.
Published 6 months ago by Emmet Duggan

5.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but a great release nonetheless, March 24, 2014
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Season 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
There are a lot of extreme opinions on this release, so I'm going to try to keep this review as unbiased as possible. Unlike some fans, I don't have an inborn hatred of Funimation, and I grew up watching DBZ when it first started airing on Cartoon Network, so I've seen it the way it was "originally" intended. I've also seen the way the picture looks on the "Level Sets," so I have something to compare this to.

To start, I'll address the most divisive aspect: the picture. If you're reading this, you've no doubt already seen reviewers griping about (or praising) the image cropping. I grew up watching DBZ when it first aired, so I was raised on the 4:3 aspect ratio. I was thus disappointed when I learned that these Blu-ray releases were cropped to 16:9 widescreen. Now, after having some time to watch it, I'm still not 100% okay with the cropping. As an older fan, I'd rather see the whole picture. HOWEVER, I will say that the cropping is handled well. You (usually) don't lose any important image details, and it also works surprisingly well in other cases. The image is a bit claustrophobic at times, but in all honesty, it doesn't detract too much from the overall viewing experience. Some people may prefer that to having black bars on both sides of the screen anyway. The only REAL complaint I have with the cropping is the end credits sequence. In this case, they didn't just crop the top and bottom, they zoomed in, so you lose a LOT of the picture from all sides. I don't understand why they did this, and it seems pretty dang stupid, but hey, it's only the end credits.

Regarding the picture quality itself, frankly I think it's great. I've seen a lot of people moaning about the lack of film grain and the loss of "detail", but honestly, I just don't see it. First off, film grain is not detail, it's an imperfection. I've seen the picture on the "Level sets", and while the image itself was crisp, the level of film grain was really noticeable, almost to the point of being distracting. There's still a little bit of grain in this release, but much reduced, and I think it makes the picture look even better. And the loss of detail, if any, is barely noticeable. Unless you're really nitpicking, you probably won't see it either. And the colors are nice and vibrant. Sometimes they're a little in-your-face, but for the most part, they really make the picture come alive. It's pretty awesome to watch.

EDIT: After finally being able to compare this release to the orange bricks, I can safely say the blu-ray is HANDS DOWN better in terms of picture. Even with resolution and cropping aside, the orange bricks' picture simply looks...drab and dull in comparison. In fact, in some parts it looks plain ugly. The blu-ray release's picture is superior in every way - including color, resolution, sharpness, and yes, the cropping. If you're on the fence as whether to buy these blu-rays or the orange brick set, my advice is go with the blu-ray. You'll thank yourself later.

As far as the sound, you have three options: English dubbing with Japanese music in 5.1, English dubbing with the Bruce Falconer music, or the original Japanese dialogue (in mono) and music. Personally, I'm a fan of the Bruce Falconer score, but the Japanese music has grown on me a lot. I really like the option of having all three versions, and this is sure to please anyone. Nothing really to gripe about here.

You also have the ability to watch the episodes "marathon" style, which means watching them in sequence without opening/closing credits. This is a pretty cool feature that lets you watch the show without constant interruptions. As far as packaging itself, it's nice and compact, and only on four discs. I was kinda sad there was no booklet insert without any facts/character bios/whatnot that you got with the orange bricks. That would have been cool, but if you're buying this set, you may already know a lot about the show anyway. The special features include interviews with Christopher Sabat and Sean Schemmel, a "headshot" collection by Justin Cook, as well as some trailers. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get more in terms of special features, but then again, this wasn't the reason I got this set.

So in summary, my recommendation is YES, buy this set. Yeah the cropping may suck, but really, this is probably the best the show has ever looked (definitely better than the orange DVDs). And there are enough features/options to keep most people happy. It's not perfect, but I am satisfied overall. And yes, I will probably buy season three when it's released. So there's my honest, hopefully unbiased review. If you're still reading this, I hope this was enough to help you make a decision! Peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't wait., February 7, 2014
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Season 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Im very excited for this season and 3.I really hope they continue to release them.They are me and my son's favorite anime to watch.I own the first season on blu ray as well and I'm more than happy with the quality of everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest series in history, November 27, 2013
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Season 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
While reviews of season 1 have been mediocre and funimation made a contrevorsial desicion by cropping it, it's still Dragonball z, the amazement is still there. I've spent a lot of money on the vhs's, the ultimate uncut special editions for DB and DBZ, the brick sets for all three series, the dragon boxes (which I bought this year, all still sealed which costed a fortune), the level sets, and all of kai on dvd, this is another release of my favorite series, I'm more than willing to continue supporting it with my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, February 5, 2014
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Season 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Amazing really just amazing I have waited for this for so long and finally it's here and anyone who complains about the 16:9 format hasn't seen it

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Great in HD, June 2, 2014
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Season 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It may be in 16 by 9, and not 4 by 3, but it's still Dragon Ball Z. I thought that the HD conversion of season two was done very well. The colors and sounds look and sound awesome. This set does have some excellent extras that include an interview with Christopher Sabat ( Voice of Vegeta and Piccolo), and one with Sean Schemmel (Voice of Goku). This season has episodes 40-74. The only thing I wish it could play the Japanese music with the English dubbing. Instead, if you want to hear the Japanese music you have to change It back to English after the song is over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Consistent with the first seasons quality., April 14, 2014
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Season 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I won't waste much time reviewing the story of this season since it's been reviewed so many times. I like it a little less than the first season but not by much. There you go. Like I stated in my review of the first season, I don't find the video perfect due to the altering of colors, removal of grain and of course cropping. But I still enjoyed it and it had pleasing visuals. The audio is awesome and just the same as the first season. If you liked the release of the first season on blu, you will likely enjoy this one as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars DBZ BLU-RAY, March 22, 2014
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Season 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Everything was great, but the sleeve came a little damaged! I'm very anal when it comes to the condition of the sleeve, that's just me. Besides that it's awesome!!! Can't wait for season 3!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This and Support The Future Release of Dragon Ball on Bluray, July 19, 2014
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Season 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Is this a perfect version for everyone? No, no version of any show with this much age can ever be perfect for EVERYONE, but I personally love it. THIS IS THE BEST QUALITY RELEASE OF DBZ (NOT KAI) YOU WILL EVER GET ON BLU RAY (Maybe someday it will come to 4k/greenray/etc. but that is a discussion for another decade where ps5's 4k tvs fill many a living room). This is it, no more after this, that is a guarantee, they are Completing this release (they are over half way through releasing the series as of this posting and the final season is scheduled to come out before the end of 2014). IF THIS SERIES SELLS GOOD ENOUGH FUNIMATION WANTS TO RELEASE DRAGON BALL ON BLU RAY TOO SO BUY THIS SERIES, NOW!!! If you want a more technical review I implore you to watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxdg_lvYR0M&index=7&list=PLi1F2cKVJk7kEmbTNVbcR_-kX-TiIAwAE

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, June 26, 2014
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Season 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Great addition to the collection. Amazing how they have the show so crisp and clean for blu ray. Definitely buying them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for any dragon ball z fan, June 17, 2014
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Season 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Fast shipping great for any dragon ball z fan they did a great job on this bluray series price was right

Dragon Ball Z: Season 2 [Blu-ray]
Dragon Ball Z: Season 2 [Blu-ray] by Mike McFarland (Blu-ray - 2014)
$44.98 $16.96