5.0 out of 5 stars This is it!!
Published on August 19, 2011 by TempledeMuerte

1.0 out of 5 stars Holes scratches y
When i recieved this product i thought i would be in a plastic shield like all new DVDs and such but they're holes in it so it horrible for a collector
Published 18 months ago by Hawkeye

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is it!!, August 19, 2011
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Five (DVD)
It took aeons for the Dragon Boxes to be released in North America. Just as the insert says, it was previously only available in Japan and in very limited quantities. Thankfully it's been reproduced with nearly every fine detail carefully recreated and presented in the absolute highest possible quality. Every possible expectation I had for Dragon Box 5 was exceeded. The 41 episodes included in this volume are easily some of the best in the entire series. Volume 5 contains episodes 169-209 and covers the later Cell Games saga as well as the Great Saiyaman saga. A personal favorite of mine is episode 194, "One More Conclusion! I Will Defend the Future!!!" I'm going to assume most people have seen the better part of the series by now but just in case I'll keep from spoiling that episode as it's a MUST SEE! I can safely state that the Android and Cell sagas were my favorite in the entire series and seeing how all the conflicts are wrapped up is one of the most exciting moments in the series.

Enough about what is already known to most and on to the actual presentation of the product.
Here's what you get:
- Episodes 169-209 (Uncut)
- 6 Discs, 3 in each case. The cases being hardcover style books.
-1 Hardcover 48 page "Dragonbook" full of everything from an in-depth episode guide to concept drawings.
All of this is housed neatly in a very thick clamshell type box.

The single most important thing that should be said is that this is intended for the fans of the original Japanese version. The default audio setting for the show is the original Japanese Mono with English subtitles. However the English dub IS available through the setup menu. If you grew up with the Bruce Faulconer soundtrack you might be surprised to find that it is not on here. Instead it contains the original Japanese Soundtrack only. Neither of these are an issue for me as I watch with both audio settings. If you're more partial to the Toonami version of the series you definitley are going to want to stick with the Orange Season sets that were released a few years ago.
There is a very distinct difference in the actual film quality as well. The Dragon Boxes have all been fully restored frame by frame from the original 16mm film reels with a vast majority of the grain removed. If you aren't tech savy it basically means, "The image quality is far superior to many of the previous releases."
If you're a solid Dragon Ball Z fan there's no reason not to own every one of these as it is definitely the greatest release this series has ever seen. FUNimation has seriously outdone themselves on these and I look forward to collecting the final volumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where Dragon Ball Z starts to get really good, July 7, 2011
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Five (DVD)
I'll be the first to admit that the first half of DBZ, Boxes 1-4.5, run pretty slow and sometimes get boring, especially the Freiza saga! But this is where DBZ starts to gets really good. This is where the animation gets really good and where the story starts to really pick up with less filler. I always thought the Gohan vs. Cell and the Goku vs. Majin Vegeta fights were the some of high points of the whole Dragon Ball series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Ball Z: Dragonbox Five, August 11, 2011
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Five (DVD)
The Dragon Boxes are great, as an owner of both the season sets and Dragon Boxes, I would recommend the Dragon Boxes for hardcore fans of the subbed anime. They are in 4:3 format instead of 16:9 like the season sets, although this may be a little annoying it's better because that's how the series was made. In 16:9 format you lose some of the screen. The Dragon Boxes went through a much better remastering process, in the season sets, many lines were deleted do to the remastering process used. They do not include the English broadcast music, so if your not a fan of the Japanese music or the 4:3 format then I would recommend the season sets, I you like both of these then I would recommend the Dragon Boxes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Collector's Item, March 15, 2014
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Five (DVD)
This DVD release is awesome. It's a shame that its a limited edition release. This has 6 DVDs, a yellow slipcase, and a hardcover book with character and episode guides. The audio and video quality is amazing, compared to the original releases this looks and feels HD and best of all ITS NOT CROPPED, and you can easily adjust your TV to make it full screen. This starts off with Goku and Gohan leaving the time chamber and ends right before the World Tournament.. This set is ALL ABOUT GOHAN. The only gripes anybody would have about this is no Bruce Faulconer music which doesn't belong here anyways because its target audience is the Japanese fans but the English dub with Japanese music you easily get used to, the other thing is the DVDs are stacked. If you love DBZ and buy their products, its totally worth the 40 bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Box 5/5, February 25, 2012
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Five (DVD)
As most people reading this would know, the Dragon Boxes are insanely awesome!! But I only intend on buying sets 5,6 and 7 for two reasons.

1. Sets 1,2 and 4 are now out of print and are ridiculously expensive.
2. The picture quality is so great that I make sets 5,6 and 7 my follow up to Dragonball Z Kai. The english dub of kai is accompanied by Japanese audio anyway so the music is no issue. Also the Majin Buu saga english dub is decent enough and makes the transition from kai to dragon boxes smooth.

Buy the Dragon Boxes while you can people!! And before all sets disappear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Five (DVD)
Dragon Ball is one of the greatest animes of all time. It was nice to finally get the Z series in a box set. I have them all. Perfect addition for anyone's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this instead of the orange sets!!, February 27, 2014
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Five (DVD)
I had the orange brick sets until I learned about how much better the dragon box sets were. My only regret was that I didn't buy them while they were in stores, if you are a fan of the original anime then the dragon boxes are for you. I bought this volume and the orange sets don't even compare to these, I plan to buy the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Woohoo Go Gohan!!!, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Five (DVD)
I frigin love DragonBox 5. Met my expectations for sure. I really just need one more to complete my collection, and I can't wait to have it all!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars didn't know the difference wold be that big, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Five (DVD)
Reading the reviews I thought the original Japanese version would be better. Not so. I'm used to the edited version(s), with the added sound track and sound effects. I felt the editing truely was needed, as the Jpn version tend to drag on a bit. I'm glad I bought it though, otherwise I wouldn't have known the difference!

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive collection, April 10, 2012
Kindle Customer (NEW CASTLE, DE, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Five (DVD)
Back when DBZ first started showing in the USA, I remember going to my friend's place to watch 2nd or 3rd generation tapes that were subtitled just to watch the "uncut" DBZ as it was meant to be. This is the best version to my knowledge of DBZ, you get the Japanese intro (rather than the American one) and the quality is just top notch. The supplemented book gives you a great rundown on the episodes and little bits you may have missed. This also just looks exceptional when paired up with the others in the set. I held off on getting the other releases and opted for the Dragon Boxes and I'm glad I did. These are just the way they are meant to be seen!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Five
Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Five by Stephanie Nadolny (DVD - 2011)
Used & New from: $89.99