5.0 out of 5 stars Trygve is awesome
This movie was great, we really enjoyed Trygve Lode as the villain, he's a badass. The fight scenes are intense; there are definitely some real punches and kicks landing from time to time. Not a super high production value, but definitely worth the watch.
Published on September 5, 2010 by lazd

1.0 out of 5 stars LOW INTENSITY, SNORE PACKED ACTION!!!
Ok, this one time, I watched this show on TV where two guys from Kentucky were having a mouth-harp duel, and it was the lamest thing I ever saw.
Until I saw this.
The plot and action sequences were so engrossing that ten minutes into the film, I found myself distracted by an interesting piece of lint mined from my belly-button.
After about twenty minutes,...
Published on April 7, 2002 by bombzout

1.0 out of 5 stars LOW INTENSITY, SNORE PACKED ACTION!!!, April 7, 2002
"bombzout" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Until I saw this.
After about twenty minutes, my attention was wrenched from my lint activities by the dying wail of a fly on the TV screen committing suicide (very haunting).
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy a bad, campy martial arts flick, but the cheesy dialogue, flat characters and mechanical fight scenes this travesty vomits at the viewer are beyond human (and apparently fly) limits.
My advice would be to forget about purchasing this student film project.
Save your money and wrangle up some belly-button lint of your own! It's free, more entertaining, and altogether more worthy of your time, attention and contemplation than anything this cinematic sweat sock has to offer.
Probably more hygienic too.

1.0 out of 5 stars This movie's the perfect example of how not to make a movie, May 24, 2002
Joseph A. Ottoson (Lafayette, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon and the Hawk (DVD)
What happens when you take a hackneyed, b-grade comic book plot, and cross it with wooden acting and slow, boring fights?

You get The Dragon and the Hawk.

I've been a fan of kung fu flicks for years, and this one ranks just under Fists of Legend 2 for the worst kung fu movie I've ever seen. The actors visibly wait for their turn to start speaking, then they spend so much time trying to remember their lines that they manage to suck out any possible emotion. To compound matters, the dialogue is trite and blatantly banal whenever possible, so the only emotion you can experience is irritation any time someone opens their mouth. Even the supposedly humorous parts are killed by the Frankenstein quality acting exhibited by all involved in the production.

But then who cares about the writing in a kung fu movie? It's the action you're there to see right? This movie fails to deliver in this category as well. Fights are slow, poorly choreographed, and the last few sequences take place in locations that are so dark it's hard to see what's going on. Case in point, one sequence involves Dragon running up to a wall, jumping up to push off the wall, then Dragon pushes off the wall and does absolutely nothing. He just lands in front of the guy who was chasing him. What would've made more sense would be for Dragon to push off the wall and kick his pursuer. After a testy exchange with the assistant producer, (she threatened to have this review removed at one point, also accused me of being part of the apparently disgruntled production crew) I was told that they wanted Dragon to actually do the kick, but none of those shots came out right, so they just threw in a mistaken take instead. The music blows as well.

I can't see any reason to claim this movie's good. It has no redeeming qualities at all. When there's stuff like Jackie Chan, and Jet Li out there, or even David Carradine's Warrior and the Sorceress, there's absolutely no reason to bother with this one unless you just need something to make fun of Mystery Science Fiction Theater style. (Which is actually impossible since a movie with intentional camp and no earnestness doesn't have that ironically funny bent at all...)

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! BUY ANOTHER DVD!, April 24, 2003
This review is from: Dragon and the Hawk (DVD)
At first glance, I was excited to watch "Dragon and the Hawk," an interestingly packaged DVD with all the right graphics and cover art.
And it seemed like a good idea for a kung-fu movie - apart from the same old plot. Girl goes to America to find dream, gets lost, kung-fu master brother (Dragon - Julian Jung Lee) comes to America to find her, beats up bad guys, happy ending.
With plenty of wham-bam, in-your-face-action.
I'm sad to say that this move flops on all counts, even the action.
Barbara Gehring plays a police detective - Hawk - who teams up with Dragon to find the missing sister. They share a link - both of their sisters are missing.
Enter the bad guy. Trygve Lode is the scheming, stiff and stereotypical Therion who is concocting some super-soldier drug and testing it on girls his thugs nab off the street.
And thus we get the Dragon and Hawk fighting Therion's bad guys and trying to save the girls.
I've seen some very bad movies in my time, believe me. But even "Ishtar" had moments that were actually funny and "Little Nicky" had some great lines.
This move isn't even campy-funny. It's rotten. The camera work is boring - each fight seen is shot from the same high-angle crane shot - and the dialogue is so stiff I was begging for some Hong Kong filmmakers to come along and dub their own English actors' voices over these bozos.
And that's bad for some of these Americans, I tell you.
Besides the acting and action, I was very perturbed to hear unnecessary swearing. It's as if the scriptwriter decided that, "Oh, this goofy scene needs some more punch!" and then dropped awkward vulgarities into the script, just to get the "R" rating. Even the actors doing the swearing looked funny saying the words, as if they knew that not even in real life do people swear this weirdly.
The only redeeming quality is that the soundtrack seemed upbeat and the DVD's special features had a music video that was actually worth watching.
But a music video does not a DVD make.
Save your pennies. If this ever makes it onto cable TV, it will definitely be on some late-nite, make-fun-of-the-movie show.
But this isn't even Mystery Science Theater 3000 funny. It's just bad.
This movie deserves a solid D-.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Generous rating....., June 16, 2002
J Fowler (Morrison, Co) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon and the Hawk (DVD)
...because -2 stars was not an option.
This movie was such a terrible waste of time and money for both me to watch and whatever production company decided to fund this mess. I could list countless reasons as to why this movie should have never been made, but I will do not want to drone on with mindless, disjointed babble (a courtesy that D & H did not extend).
1. Bad acting- I don't think one person in this movie has ever acted professionally in their lifetime and if they did, its no wonder why this is the only gig they could get.
2. Terrible fights- The director of this movie should be ashamed for calling this movie a MARTIAL ARTS flick. I have seen some movies that can pass off with nitty-gritty fight scenes, but this movie had the most ridiculous fight coordination! It was lazy, thrown together and beyond amature. TEACH YOUR ACTORS/ STUNT PEOPLE TO THROW A PUNCH FOR CHRISTS SAKE!! (or at least for the sake of those CLAIMING to be stunt fighters) and I pray that this is nobodys day job.
I can't rip too much on the technical side of the movie because I applaud anyone who employs such "special" people to work as their crews. For that, I thank you and Jerry's Kids thank you.

3.0 out of 5 stars So bad it's good!, February 6, 2007
gypsy "gypsy" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon and the Hawk (DVD)
Don't see this movie if you want to see a good martial arts film. Granted the fight sequences are realistic and among the best parts of the movie but they aren't enough to make up for the stilted script and the uneven acting. But if you enjoy the kinds of movies that made Mystery Science Theater 3000 famous, this is a must-see. Maybe even a must-own.

(I'm editing this because I just realized I'd meant to give it four stars and hit the three instead. Sorry.)

There is a plot; in fact, it's a halfway decent cop movie plot. The story follows logically. It's the way it does it that makes this a special movie. Perhaps it should be marketed to attract a cult following. I can just imagine the audience shouts now. Ah, those wild and crazy audiences at midnight...

There was one unresolved question. Where is Dragon from? Throughout the film he refers to home as Hong Kong but when called upon to speak to the shopkeeper who speaks no English, Dragon is sent because the shopkeeper speaks only Korean. Last time I checked, that's not the same as Hong Kong. Minor problem but it's been bothering me...

Full disclosure: I do know one of the actors. It did not affect my opinion of the movie. No matter if I knew one of them or not, I'd still say, see it if only for the laugh riot it might create.

But, please, pray with me that no one decides to take up the hanging ending and actually make a sequel. The world isn't ready. It never will be.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Generous rating....., June 16, 2002
J Fowler (Morrison, Co) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon and the Hawk (DVD)
...because -2 stars was not an option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trygve is awesome, September 5, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Great low budget action!, December 27, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Dragon and the Hawk (DVD)
This was a well produced low-budget action movie! Good story, good characters, and above all it was just fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars You gotta See this!, March 27, 2002
Dragon and the Hawk is like an early Jackie Chan movie,
before they went all Hollywood. It's got great martial
arts moves in it, one of my friends who saw it is a martial
arts instructor and he loved it, especially the fight
scenes. The actor who plays Therion made an especially
believable and scary bad guy, he was tall and imposing with
an Arnold Schwarzeneggeresque physique. I was impressed to
find out that, unlike many Hollywood movies, all the actors
did their own stunts and did them well. My favorite line
was "I'll take Candy!"

5.0 out of 5 stars An action-packed martial arts film, April 12, 2002
This review is from: Dragon and the Hawk (DVD)
... with plenty of gripping sequences and fast-paced realistic fight sequences. The lead characters all excel in the roles: Lee plays Dragon Pak perfectly with his low-key sincerity; Gehring shines as the lieutenant driven to do the right thing despite an indifferent system; and Lode radiates a somewhat insane, offbeat intensity as the evil Therion. With its unusual look and shifting original soundtrack, this movie is worth checking out.

Dragon and the Hawk
Dragon and the Hawk by Mark Steven Grove (DVD - 2001)
$8.99
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.