Dragon Mount -- Stupid Question

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 14, 2010 9:05:48 AM PDT
When the Aiel invaded Carhien 20 years earlier (when the Dragon was born on Dragon Mount) -- why were they even at Dragon Mount?

For some reason, it never occurred to me (until this book) that Dragon Mount is West of Tar Valon. Tar Valon isn't really close to Carhien, and to get to Dragon Mount, the Aiel would need to cross the river that Tar Valon sits between. The only bridges in that area go through the city of Tar Valon, which we know the Aiel did not do.

So how

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2010 3:35:29 PM PDT
Joe W says:
From the Aiel point of view it wasn't a war, but a manhunt. They were chasing Laman, who was presumably running. That chase led them to the area around Tarvalon.

Posted on Apr 21, 2010 9:28:23 AM PDT
I'm not sure this answer completely explains the issues. I know they were chasing Laman (although I'm not sure why the call all Cairhienen "treekillers" -- this seems to violate Aiel logic in other places. For instance, when Olver is afraid of Aviendha because she is Aiel, she doesn't understand, because she is not Shaido). I've always been under the impression (is this incorrect?) that he was killed in Cairhien. It is hard to imagine that he made it to Dragon Mount. Either way it doesn't explain how the Aiel crossed the river to get to Dragon Mount. It is clear that a river of this size would be an insurmountable barrier to the Aiel. The Aiel have a difficult enough time crossing bridges.

I can understand the Aiel having reason to be on the East side of the river (in sight of Tar Valon). It is not difficult to imagine having one tribe swing around behind Cairhien to cut off any escape before the war takes place. For some reason, until the final scene of "The Gathering Storm", I never realized Dragon Mount was on the West side of the River.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2010 5:02:06 PM PDT
Joe W says:
"It is hard to imagine that he made it to Dragon Mount. "

The Aiel War lasted for three years and ranged over Andor and Ilian as well as Cairhien. It ended with Laman being killed at the Battle of Shining Walls (aka Blood Snow) near Dragonmount.

"Either way it doesn't explain how the Aiel crossed the river to get to Dragon Mount. It is clear that a river of this size would be an insurmountable barrier to the Aiel. The Aiel have a difficult enough time crossing bridges."

In the Dragon Reborn, Avienda tells Elayne about crossing rivers on logs and shuddering. It was in the chapter where Elayne, Egwene and Nynaeve left the river boat that was stuck on a sandbar.

" I know they were chasing Laman (although I'm not sure why the call all Cairhienen "treekillers" -- this seems to violate Aiel logic in other places. For instance, when Olver is afraid of Aviendha because she is Aiel, she doesn't understand, because she is not Shaido). "

Janduin (Rand's biological father) lead the Nakai, Reyn, Taardad (Avienda's Clan) and Shaarad Aiel across the Dragonwall in the Aiel War. The Shaido were not there. Avienda's expects fear. The Aiel are to be feared. Her emotional conflict is over feeling guilt about the misfortune of a Treekiller (Olver). She finds it difficult to maintain the "the dishonorable treekillers only got what they deserve" attitude after personal contact.

Posted on Jul 26, 2010 1:38:30 PM PDT
I think at some point they mention they make raft type vessels out of the trees to cross the river.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Apr 14, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 26, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions