4.0 out of 5 stars Saved me a lot of learning time

2.0 out of 5 stars If you want to learn to use Dragon NaturallySpeaking
Published on July 13, 2012 by Larry E. Lutz

4.0 out of 5 stars Saved me a lot of learning time, November 24, 2011
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies (Paperback)
First, I was shocked that I was able to find a book on this because I don't think it's a very popular product, even though NaturallySpeaking is a great technology. Some of the info in the book is unnecessary, like how to install NaturallySpeaking, which is pretty obvious if you've ever installed any software before. Beyond that, it's really helpful. It certainly saved me a lot of time and saved me from a lot of frustration.

In general, the language is simple and as interesting as literature on a computer program could be.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have Dragon NaturallySpeaking, you must buy this book, February 20, 2012
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought the DVD that Dragon NaturallySpeaking sells and watched the video on nuances website. They both are very good. However, this book goes into far more detail than either of those will ever do. And when you run out of your warranty of 90 days you will find this to be very helpful. In fact it suggests that you use the military alphabets when you say" spell that". There is a military alphabets under help it is called spelling. Things of this sort are not covered in the video or DVD. This book is a must if you are serious about mastering this software. If you are one of the unfortunate ones that has never learned to type then Dragon NaturallySpeaking is for you. This book will answer questions and tech-support will always be available for $20 per time you need help them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellently Done, January 28, 2012
JHW (South Dakota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies (Paperback)
This book really explains how to run Dragon effectively. It is clear, concise, to the point, and honest about what the program can and cannot do. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to use the program, and especially to those who hope to control their computers by voice.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you want to learn to use Dragon NaturallySpeaking, July 13, 2012
Larry E. Lutz (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies (Paperback)
If you want to learn Dragon NaturallySpeaking, look elsewhere; this book is not designed to teach anything. There are very few structured practices and then only for more advanced topics; it primarily just provides explanations of how to do everything in Dragon. You don't learn by reading explanations. Using Dragon is a skill like riding a bicycle -- you learn by doing. None of that here. You can find all of the explanations you find in this book on the DNS Web site and in the user's guide you can download from there. Admittedly, the explanations are a little clearer in this book, but if you need a reference, then you need to look for something laid out in a more concise manner. This book doesn't do a good job of being a tutorial or a reference. I'm not sure what the author/publisher set out to with. (It doesn't appear that they had any clear purpose in mind.) Whatever it was that they set out to do, they didn't accomplish it.

In contrast, Using Speech Recognition Software: Dragon NaturallySpeaking and Windows Speech Recognition, Second Edition by Calais Ingel teaches you to "swim" with Dragon by throwing you in the water (figuratively) right away. Every step of the way, it challenges you to do what you're learning, and that's the only way you can learn.

It's not that this book is worthless; the information provided is accurate, and it is pleasantly provided. However, it just won't help you develop the skills you need to use Dragon. and it doesn't add much in the way of reference material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Saver, May 5, 2012
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies (Paperback)
This book was easy to understand and covers just about every question/issue I had with my Dragon.
Highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a winner!, January 11, 2013
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies (Paperback)
Dragon was Christmas gift. I couldn't believe how quickly it recognized my voice and how comprehensive is its vocabulary. Dragon allows me to write more extensively than I could with my hands, so that I may stay in touch with friends and associates. There is a great deal of Dragon that I still must learn, but I am already hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a "Dummy"!, March 7, 2013
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies (Paperback)
I was a systems analyst for 20 years so I think I will instantly understand any technology. Fortunately a friend loaned me a "Dummy" book years ago and it was written the way that I wanted to write documentation (but it was frowned upon).
I like the simple format with the icons showing things that are important to know and things to avoid. I even had a "Dummy" book on breeding dogs.
The book gets you started and then adds to your knowledge after it has you started doing the basics.

5.0 out of 5 stars great basic know how, February 12, 2013
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies (Paperback)
using it often. used this type of format in other ways too. you cant go wrong in getting some help. however it does not mention of the huge cpu load it has on a pc running with other apps such as AVG will cause issues installing corectlly

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Software, April 25, 2014
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies (Paperback)
My daughter challenged me to write a book in March 2013, with Dragon 's help was completed
and book in my hands in December - "I Gotta Be Me, A 1925 Original" at 88 years young!

5.0 out of 5 stars word to print, July 10, 2012
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies (Paperback)
Excellent Product Easy to use Program is easy to set up and has your voice and dialect down in a few minutes. Great Program for writing a book or article.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies
Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies by Stephanie Diamond (Paperback - October 4, 2011)
Used & New from: $7.61