Questions & Answers
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 11 [Old Version]
by Nuance Communications, Inc.
3.5 out of 5 stars (845)
$31.97
Add to cart
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 87 questions
votes
Yes - mine came with a headset microphone.
Jan 28, 2012 by just me
vote
I tried Windows Vista speech program and nearly threw my laptop out in the yard! It was SO frustrating, adding words when I would take a breath, trying to predict what I was going to say. Dragon didn't do that. We are still learning each other, but I will say I prefer it to Vista. Hope this helps.
Nov 14, 2013 by S. Miles
votes
Yes, Pace, it can be used that way. You would have to be patient as you started. You might find it frustrating when you didn't know how to do something or when the program didn't seem to be cooperating. If you can get someone to help you or have another way of operating a browser, check out the videos for Dragon NaturallySpeaking on YouTube to see how it works. To make a correction, I'm looking at your original post. Say you'd stumbled slightly when dictating, and Dragon had transcribed the phrase "something I'd have to learn elsewhere" as "something I'd have to burn elsewhere". (I doubt it would make that error if you hadn't stumbled when dictating.) Speaking in your microphone, you'd tell Dragon "Select 'burn.'" Dragon would highlight the word 'burn.' Since you made a dictation error, you could just repronounce "learn," and Dragon would probably make the correction. If it didn't work, you'd say, "Correct that." Dragon would pop down a drop-down menu with about ten alternate words it thinks you might have meant. If you saw "learn" as #6, you'd say, "Choose 6," and Dragon would make the correction. If "learn" wasn't in the list, you'd say, "Spell that... l... e... a... r... n..." [Your spelling would now appear as Choice #1 in the drop-down correction list for "burn"]. You'd say "Choose 1," and Dragon would make the correction. It would also remember and associate your pronunciation of the word with your spelling, and if it heard it again, it would *usually* not make the same mistake. (Like humans, sometimes Dragon needs repeat corrections of the same error but does eventually get it.) That's also the way you teach Dragon a new word or phrase it's never heard before and can't find in the computer's dictionary. Dragon actually prefers you spell a new or corrected word or phrase aloud than type it in. Dragon isn't trained by typed entry. It has to be spoken aloud (or selected from the Choose Correction drop-down menu) for Dragon to learn. Dragon may come with a few training tutorials, though only enough to get you started; however, there is much more material available online for free on the Nuance website and on other sites as YouTube. Dragon does have a learning curve that I would describe as moderate in difficulty. You need a good headset. The packaged headsets in some Dragon editions are just so-so, and more expensive headsets will perform better with fewer errors needing correction. Dragon gets much better at working with you as you train it and vice versa. If you've ever been to a dog training class, and I don't mean this in any way to be demeaning, as I love dogs, but you realize in a dog training class, the reason that you don't just drop the dog off and come back to pick him up later "all trained now" is that in dog training class, you're training the dog, but the dog and the teacher are also training you. So it is with training Dragon. You have to learn it. It does take some practice. Some people get too impatient early on and can't do it. You, Pace, would have a strong motivation to keep at it and would probably do very well with it and find it helpful. In addition to entering text, Dragon 11 can be used to control Word 2003+, browsers, and of course, Dragon itself--by that I mean, you can issue many of the program commands in those programs aloud and they will execute. The premium edition of Dragon 11 can also issue commands in Excel 2003+ without keyboard or mouse. Most other programs, however, cannot be operated by Dragon, so for those you still need some way to input commands such as open file, save, etc. To do this in Word at least, Dragon often also needs at least a computer with a dual- or quad-core processor, and extra memory helps Dragon generally. A ten year old laptop computer or even a new netbook computer may not have enough hardware resources to run Dragon 11 and execute commands in Word well.
Apr 19, 2012 by Hal Lancer
votes
Hi Testmaster -- we do offer the Premium Edition without the recorder. It is available on AmazonDragon Naturally Speaking Premium 11 There are many other differences in the Premium Edition, but you are correct that if you want to transcribe recorded files, you cannot do that with the Home Edition. Peter Mahoney SVP & GM, Dragon Nuance Communications
Aug 26, 2010 by The Dictator
votes
I use the Koss CS100 speech recognition headset. Very good!
Jun 27, 2013 by ralphinflorida
votes
yes, very good instructions and to follow with the set up program.
Jan 23, 2014 by Daisy
votes
I can not mske it work ... The money was wasted.
Jan 23, 2014 by Nancy Waller
votes
votes
I am using 11, the old version, and I'm very happy with it. I use it daily, and the approximately $30 price tag makes this version an excellent value for the money. It has a couple of idiosyncracies ( I probably misspelled that....), but I would still recommend it. It has trouble with homonyms, and will capitalize and punctuate on its own sometimes, but for thirty bucks you can't beat it. Good luck!
Nov 14, 2013 by Debbie in North Central Texas
votes
Dragon 11 can enter data into cells in Excel, yes, as long as she can navigate between the cells and operate the program using mouse or keyboard. If she needs to be able to control the program with Dragon rather than by using a keyboard or mouse, so that she is using Dragon to open the spreadsheet, navigate around the spreadsheet (such as jumping down 12 rows and over one column to select a different cell and make an entry there), save the updated spreadsheet, etc., she needs Excel 2003+, Dragon 11 Premium edition (NOT Home edition, which cannot operate Excel with commands, though Home edition can still enter Dragon-dictated data into the cells), and ideally, a fairly new and powerful laptop or desktop computer with reasonably good resources including extra memory. It will run on an underpowered or old computer, just not as well, and may balk at executing program commands. Even Premium edition Dragon 11 cannot execute dictated commands in most programs other than Word, Excel, PowerPoint, web browsers, and itself-- for that, you still need to be able to use a keyboard and/or mouse. She also needs a good headset. The packaged headsets included with some versions of Dragon are just so-so. Better headsets make fewer errors.
Apr 19, 2012 by Hal Lancer
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers