5.0 out of 5 stars this is a very good product

Published 23 months ago by Bostonreviewer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a very good product, December 16, 2012
Carl Richmond (Monterey, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional 12 (Old Version) (DVD-ROM)
I had a minor stroke. And I can't type the way I used to. So Dragon has come in very handy. It's very easy to use. The learning curve is quite easy. I have one complaint and that's Dragon's Support. They have outsourced it to Milan, and it's really terrible. The tech support can't solve any problems, and I'm left to find workarounds myself. But as for the application, it's very good. I highly recommend it. I bought the expensive version, professional 12, because I'm a medical editor and the application must be able to produce some highly technical terms--for example, it has no trouble coming up with the term, cytomegalovirus. Pretty good, huh? Really. It's a very good application.

5.0 out of 5 stars A review for new users and how to get the most out of Dragon., July 30, 2013
(This whole review is done with Dragon I will not edit it at all)

As a quadriplegic standup comedian (okay I'm the cant stand up comic) I spent a lot of time doing voice dictation. I have been using Dragon naturally speaking since 1995 and I must say it is truly an amazing product and Dragon Dictate for Mac/Dragon NaturallySpeaking for PC are only getting better. I want to give a basic overview on voice dictation and being successful.

To see my comedy set just google: AskACapper or I'm The Can't Stand Up Comic

One other thing to note I do not use Dragon for mouse movements and commands as I had the ability to use a touchpad mouse so I will not delve into those features in my review. This will merely focus on how you can use voice dictation effectively to receive near 100% accuracy. And how Dragon does it almost perfectly every time.

One thing you need to think about when you get into voice dictation is speaking in word clumps. You have to think about what you want to have Dragon type for you then you have to say those sentences in chunks (I hope that makes sense) most people who complain about voice dictation don't take the time to realize this.

In the following example I did edit the text when errors were made for continuity of thought.

[Example]
if I wanted to say "Is that the wheelchair that goes upstairs?" "No it is not but it goes downstairs one time really fast!"
The way I attacked this sentence was "Is that the wheelchair -pause- that goes upstairs question mark -pause- no it is not -pause- but it goes downstairs -pause- one time really fast exclamation point

Here is another one "what is the worst thing that a handicapped person can hear? Is it a doctor telling you you'll never walk again? Or someone saying you can't go with us because you are disabled? No the worst thing we can hear is someone in a crowd yell "run for your lives" at that point I know I am boned.

Here is how I approached saying that joke out loud I will put in a - where I pause
what is the worst thing-that a handicapped person-can hear question mark - is it a doctor-telling you-you'll never walk again question mark - or someone saying-you can't go with us-because you are disabled-question mark - no-the worst thing that we can hear-is someone in a crowd-yell-open quote- run for your lives-end quote- at that point-I know I'm boned period
[End example]

I hope that helps you again understanding how to speak in clumps of words remember to keep your word count between pauses at about 7 to 10. If you do this you will be successful in using voice dictation. If you put a microphone near your mouth and learned to speak in word clumps I say you will have 99% accuracy every time.

Without speaking a word clumps and thinking about what you want to say is when voice dictation has problems, here is an example of a long sentence I will speak this without stopping and pausing at certain points.

What I said: I am not disabled I am just very lazy and really I'm only in this thing for the parking.
What Dictate heard: I am not disabled I am just very lazy and really I'm only in this thing for the parking.

There you go it got a perfect 19 word sentence correct but most of the time keeping your clumps lower helps the program not make mistakes that is just what I have found.

How to train your Dragon: DO ALL THE TRAINING Is all I have to say! Sorry for yelling out better now. But really one thing I found super helpful in doing voice dictation is doing all of the training that you can. While you might not feel like reading a bunch of chapters from random books it really helps and should be done. I make a rule to do all the training the program provides so that it gets used my voice.

Now the microphone that comes with Dragon is decent and will get you almost 99% accuracy. Right now I'm using a tabletop microphone I'm sitting about 6-8 inches away from the microphone and still getting perfect accuracy! Truly amazing how far it's come in 15 years.

What I appreciate also about Dragon is its low resource usage. I mean as I use Dragon through the years it would talk a lot of resources i.e. CPU power and RAM space but now on even a low-cost computer will be fully capable of running this powerful program. I would happily recommend at least 2 GB of RAM though.

Till I Collapse by Eminem lyrics, this is unedited straight dictation. First line is dictation - (Second is the true verse to compare.)
--------------------
As soon as the verse starts I eat it at MC's heart - (Soon as a verse starts I eat it at MC's heart) * ERROR
what's he thinking? How not to go against me? Smart. - (what is he thinking? How not to go against me? Smart.) * PERFECT
And it's absurd how people hang on every word - (And its absurd how people hang on every word.) * PERFECT
I'll probably never get the props I feel I ever deserve - (I'll probably never get the props I feel I ever deserve) * PERFECT
but I'll never be served my spot is forever reserved - (But I'll never be served my spot is forever reserved) * PERFECT
if I ever leave Earth that would be the death of me first. - (If I ever leave earth that would be the death of me first.) * PERFECT
Visit my heart of hearts I know nothing could ever be worse. - (Cause in my heart of hearts I know nothing could ever be worse.) * ERROR
That's why I'm clever when I put together every verse - (That's why I'm clever when I put together every verse) * PERFECT
my thoughts are sporadic, I act like I'm inadequate - (My thoughts are sporadic, I act like I'm an addict) * ERROR
I rap like I'm addicted to smack like I'm Kim Mathers. - (I rap like I'm addicted to smack like I'm Kim Mathers.) * ERROR
the fact is I would rather sit back and bomb some rappers. - (The fact is I would rather sit back and bomb some rappers.) * PERFECT
So this is like a full-blown attack I'm launching Them - (So this is like a full blown attack I'm launching at them) * ERROR
the track is on some battling raps who wants some static - (The track is on some battling raps who want some static) * PERFECT
because I don't really think that the fact that I'm slim matters - (Cause I don't really think that the fact that I'm Slim matters) * ERROR
a plaque of platinum status is wack if I'm not the baddest. - (A plaque of platinum status is whack if I'm not the baddest.) * ERROR
--------------------

I would say that there were a few errors in that resuscitation of that rap but not bad, and good enough that it would save me about 30 minutes to type that okay maybe 15 but I do type one key at a time.

ONE BONUS OF VOICE DICTATION TO NOTE:
Is that voice dictation sometimes makes mistakes but those mistakes can really be great. So sometimes voice dictation will misunderstand what you say what the end result is better than or uses different words then you are going to ever use. For example the other day I went to use "definitely demonstrates" and Dragon burped out "deftly demonstrates" and in the context it's error was a better fit is so bonus when that happens! Keep that in mind voice dictation for the win!

So all in all I recommend Dragon to anyone with a disability for sure, and if you are dyslexic Dragon can really help you also. I think you'll find that this program will free you from the keyboard when it comes to entering tax into e-mails or documents web forums and the like.

I am Chuck Bittner and I approve this message LOL!

3.0 out of 5 stars Love/hate relationship, January 25, 2013
I have been using a couple of different Dragon products for probably three years or so. I am currently using one of the legal products. I have found its accuracy to be considerably less than advertised although for someone like me, who is not a good typist, it is a useful tool. I have not noticed a significant difference in accuracy between the much more expensive legal version and the basic, off-the-shelf version I use at home. I also was advised to buy and did buy an expensive microphone/headset, which helps some but which of course adds to the cost.

The training function does not always work as advertised. On a small issue, but an annoying one, it must have taken two years or so for the program to understand when I was saying Allen and when I was saying Alan. Ellen and Alan. Note, I dictated the previous sentence and phrase using Dragon and saying the following, which I will now type: "Alan when I was saying Ellen. Alan and Ellen." So it still does not get it. and it keeps unknowingly (I said "annoyingly") adding small words in between words I type when I clearly have not said those words.

The bottom line is that if you are an accurate, fast typist and do not mind typing, don't waste your time with this or probably any other voice recognition software program. If you are not a particularly quick and/or accurate typist, go ahead and use this but start with the cheaper versions first. If you can deal with the inevitable frustrations of typing something, sending it out, and then realizing the program heard something completely different than what you said, you might then want to try and upgrade to the more expensive version.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Software that Gives and Gives Some More, February 8, 2013
I purchased this product because Olympus had recommended it for their DS 7000 recorder, which I love despite the fact my recorder isn't rated above some of the Sony recorders and one Phillips model .. problem is you don't know which recorder to purchase until after you have purchased Dragon Pro 12. Olympus also recommended another transcriber software by IBM but I couldn't find it within the few seconds it took to find Dragon. I'm also deliriously happy with my Olympus recorder and can't imagine a better one; no kidding - check them out.

Before I was able to test my recorder and actually transcribe something I had recorded, I was somewhat forced to learn how to use Dragon as a stand-alone program which was harder than one might think not because the actual lessons are difficult but because it wasn't easy to find them. You are pretty much on your own as you install it; the good news is we can go back and change the settings once it's comprehended what this software is capable of and this concludes any negative review on my part.

Again, I would purchase this software before I decided on a recorder and if you already have a quality set of headphones/cans, I would concentrate on replacing the mic that comes as part of the headset packaged within the box and with the software. If you don't have a good headset (studio earphones and mic combo), while Sennheiser is one of the best, I have also read some excellent reviews for the Andreas for a small fraction of the cost. Again, you will find ratings charts for a variety of recorders, headsets, etc. once you have purchased the software. I have a good set of studio cans so really only IMHO needed a desktop mic which I'll explain below. So in summary, you may want to purchase this software first.

Above I described being forced to learn how to use the software. What I meant by this is during the process of setting up a personal profile (the software identifies my voice and speaking style); during this process, I both began to understand how this software works, the commands themselves and the importance of good diction. So while this software is perfect for all the reasons it is advertised, it may also be inherently beneficial to anyone who doesn't know the in's and out's of how to dictate and an incredible asset for children or others with any language difficulties or speech impairments. When my youngest was about 4 years old, she and I spent a year with a speech therapist because she had developed some developmental difficulties involving the mouth (coordination; lips, tongue, teeth) that had to be overcome and she would have LOVED this software.

Anyone who slurs their speech, is having difficulty with the English language or has difficulty, for example with dentures or other oral related physical disability, will LOVE this software because this software has the potential to help them train themselves to enunciate each letter and number; help them differentiate between words that sound very similar; for example "four dollars and four cents for furnishing foibles." So the idea is to place a mirror in front of you on a table top along with a table top mic comparable to the Blue Microphones Yeti Pro USB Condenser Microphone and practice looking at and training your mouth, lips and tongue to pronounce each word into the mic with such clarity, the words are understood and typed out by the software. If you can do all this with a smile on your face, this would subtract one of the major reasons people are not hired for positions all over the globe.

This is why this software deserves more than 5 stars because it delivers more than advertised. I guess we can knock it back to 5 stars for not including a better headset like "Andrea Headsets NC185VMUSB High Quality Digital Stereo USB Headset" with all the bells and whistles for $41.99 on Amazon or even better, a Sennheiser developed just for Dragon software.

5.0 out of 5 stars DNS is a lifesaver for high school and college homework!, September 17, 2013
I am a freshman in college...I need accommodations for my reading disability and dysgraphia. Your product makes my homework stress free. I love the DNS professional 12 and I reccommend it to all students who suffer from a learning disability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best voice recognition out there, November 16, 2013
Awesome uncanny voice recognition out of the box with less than 10 minutes training. If you pay for a dictation service, you owe it to yourself to try this. Also, you don't need to spend thousands more on the medical version. You can teach this version your particular vocabulary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great time saver, November 4, 2013
Awesome software for court reporting. Takes some training, but will save on transcription time. I have used Premium 11, but this way better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Professional vs. lower-end Dragon Win/Mac Versions, April 17, 2013
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional 12 is surprisingly similar to other versions of the Nuance products. For instance, it will not adequately transcribe an interview on tape (with two different voices). While Nuance is probably the world's leading technology of its kind (and it is sophisticated), I have not found profound differences between the transcriptions performed by Professional 12 compared with that on an iPad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, July 1, 2013
This software program is the best of the best of speak to type software. I know for a fact they use it in hospitals for people that are paralyzed. This product is great for work and home...especially if you type a lot. It listens well and rarely is a word incorrect. Do your research, you won't find anything better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Feel jipped, September 8, 2013
I am completely unversed in the use of dragon. I was hoping it would come with a beginners training due to the cost of this program. It had a useless tutorial. I still have not been able to utilize in a professional manner as it indicated. I feel ripped off. Oh...and if I want the training I can get it for a mere 250.00/2hr online session. OMG! I am already in the hole...with no guarantee that the tutorial will be enough to get me up and running. Very dissatisfied.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional 12 (Old Version)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional 12 (Old Version) by Nuance Communications (Windows 2000 / 7 / Vista / XP)
$599.99 $239.00