Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 10, 2010 12:35:59 AM PDT
M. Diaz says:
With all these remakes it is hard to wonder why Square Enix doesn't rerelease 1-3. I mean even if they put 1-3 on a DS cart and it had the same old NES graphics, I would still buy it. Of course they wouldn't do that. The new translations in recent installments would mean SE would have to give more consistent translation(ex. bubble slimes instead of babbles). Anyway, SE should know that there is money to be made in rereleasing these games. The game boy color versions are no longer made, and Game Boy Advances are trumped by the older DS models. So we need new releases for 1-3.

Posted on Jun 11, 2010 8:10:34 AM PDT
Fred Burrows says:
yes I agree, also DQ 7 needs a DS remake

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 12:52:54 AM PDT
M. Diaz says:
I currently own Dragon Quest 7 on PSX so I can't say I want it on DS. Nonetheless, it would be a nice thing for SE to do considering that they no longer make it and used copies are getting expensive.

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 2:02:53 PM PDT
I am curious of these games never played them only played the old Dragon Warrior games. Dragon Quest games are pretty good?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2010 2:52:32 PM PDT
Dragon Quest and Dragon Warrior are the same. The series was originally called Dragon Quest in Japan, but Dragon Quest was copyrighted already in America, so the series was called Dragon Warrior over here up until the PS2 release of Dragon Quest 8.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2010 4:34:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2010 4:35:35 PM PDT
M. Diaz says:
As Micheal said they are the exact same series. Dragon Quest in America was already used by a pen and paper RPG of the same name when Dragon Quest was being released in America.

Posted on Jun 17, 2010 7:16:49 PM PDT
Mike says:
YES!!!!!!!! YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Jul 5, 2010 5:43:02 PM PDT
I would actually like to see SE re-make the first six Dragon Quest titles and put them on the Nintendo Wii. But keep them in there native 2D enviroment.

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 6:35:56 AM PDT
J. Fanning says:
i NEED the first 2 ones!

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 8:33:13 AM PDT
one through three were remade for the Super Famicom (aka Super Nintendo- SNES) in Japan only- these versions clearly trump both the original NES games and the GBC remakes. An adaptation of these ports for WiiWare or NDS would be amazing. For those so inclined, there are excellent, nigh professional level fan translations of these games floating around on the internets, but I'd love to buy a legit copies, if only they existed.

Also- just started playing DQ7 this week for the first time- it's amazing how much the graphics remind me of the recent remakes of DQ4 & 5 on the DS. This could make the transition no problem. So make it happen Square! It'd be great to have all the DQ titles available on one platform (sans #8, which, dare I say, would look dashing on the Wii.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 12:34:53 PM PDT
Crabman says:
Dragon warrior and dragon quest are the same games. They simply were called dragon warrior when they first came out in the u.s.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 9:44:49 PM PDT
Am I missing something here? I mean, 1, 2 and 3 were all remade on GameBoy Color already and no they're no longer made, but tons of people are selling it here on GameStop. If you were one of the unfortunate souls who got rid of your original DS Lite that had the GBA port, I feel for you but...that's the whole reason I kept mine: to play such games as:

Dragon Warrior I (remake)
Dragon Warrior II (remake)
Dragon Warrior III (remake...now THIS is hard to find for a decent price with all of the components)
Final Fantasy VI (not that garbage they put out on PS1...no load times for me!)

Do yourself a favor. Find an older DS Lite with the GBA port, and start playing these older games. Don't let Nintendo sucker you into paying more money than you should for the same game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2010 5:50:16 AM PDT
@MDC

The original DS/DS Lite had a GBA port. It did not play Gameboy color games. So to play DQ 1-3 you'd need a Gameboy Color, or Gameboy Advance. No DS can do it.

If you've not got those machines/carts, emulating the GBC is a breeze- every computer and current handheld machine can do it readily. But if you go the Emu route, just go find the fan translations of the far superior Super Nintendo ports of DQ 1-3. This is the premier experience as far as these titles go, and it is one that has never come to North America. Thankfully some hard working individuals have made it pretty easy for you to play today.

If an official DS release ever materializes, I'd advocate buying it instantly, but if you want to play the original games now- they're a google search away.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2010 7:35:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2010 7:37:38 AM PDT
M. Diaz says:
I prefer to play my games on a TV or handheld system with a legal genuine game. I am sure most Dragon Quest fans are aware of the remakes for GameBoy color, but they are out of print and it takes buying a GBA or GC to play them. I am not dishing out all that money haha.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2010 11:42:17 AM PDT
i prefer legal genuine games myself. I like to support the companies that make the games I enjoy, hence they can continue to do so.

but I also like to play Super Nintendo and Gameboy games that were never translated in the west, and for that you need the work of the selfless folks who do romhacking and translation, because nobody seems to be interested in an official localization.

So you can ask why you can't play DQ 1-3 on your DS/Wii now, or you can settle for an excellent, if not perfect by your standards, experience with the fan translation that you can play on your computer, PSP, or Wii right now. Granted, the joke will be on me if/when Square announces an updated port, b/c having already gone through the game via emulator, I'll not likely be up for playing it again and will thereby miss the premium experience.

but we both then make our choices and live with them. if it means anything to you, despite playing these games in emu, I often long to see official releases. I'd love to have the whole DQ cannon officially available on the modern machines.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2010 2:59:03 PM PDT
M. Diaz says:
Let's just say SE would be foolish to pass up rereleasing these games, especially part 3. Shame on them if they don't do it.

Posted on Jul 11, 2010 7:24:57 PM PDT
D. Logue says:
Am I the one one who actually enjoyed DQ7? I thought it was awesome... just a little loooooong...

Posted on Jul 11, 2010 8:19:06 PM PDT
I also enjoyed Dragon Warrior VII. I thought it was a cool concept to travel thru time to restore the world to normal :) I also had fun turning my Hero into a Ubber sword sage. He learned every spell and skill in the game ;)

Posted on Jul 11, 2010 11:46:01 PM PDT
Derek Hess says:
I also LOVED Dragon Warrior 7 back on the PS1; in fact DW 1 was the very first RPG I ever played, way back on the NES. Have been a fan of the series since! Even picked up DQ IX today, I know, off topic. Please remake 1-3, 7 & 8 on DS or its successor.

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 9:52:56 AM PDT
I'm sure they'll release the original NES versions on Virtual Console once their current DQ releases have had time to sell. They are not going to chance competing against themselves for sales.

I have I-III on GB Color carts and a Gameboy Player for the GameCube. Not the best way to enjoy the games, but a way non-the-less. Any kind of re-release that allows for play on the Wii would be appreciated. +1

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010 9:22:06 AM PDT
M. Stanley says:
lol why would they remake Dragon Quest 8 for the DS? Its a freakin PS2 game ffs o.O

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 4:26:00 PM PST
cp_mistyrose says:
I agree - especially if it's released on a single cartridge. I had DW3 on the Game Boy Color, but it would be worth having them all again. I haven't played 2 in about 20 yrs, it was my least favorite of the series, but I'm sure I'd enjoy even that.

My only hope is that if they remake them, they'll change the monster coins. The GB release had monster coins and I believe if you collected enough you got a special board. I missed quite a few (specifically, the "boss battle" in the tower around level 12), and if you didn't get the coin, you had no way to try again.

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 9:46:32 AM PST
Freeman C. says:
Yea l like DQ 7 too. It was the first DQ game that I played and it was the reason why i purchased all the previous DQ games. Now I own 3 copies of DQ 7 - 1 Japanese copy and 2 U.S. copies.

And yea i think they should remake 1-3 for the DS or 3DS in the DQ7-style graphic. I know it was remade for the GBC, i own those remakes too but hey, if they can remake FF 1 & 2 over and over again (wonderswan, psx, gba, psp, cell phone) then why not DQ, it's just as good, if not better.

Posted on Jan 13, 2011 10:39:57 AM PST
Elan_Morin says:
If they ever do remake/rerelease I just hope they don't dumb down the difficulty. It just wouldn't be the same if you couldn't yell and scream at the tv when you're a step away from the shrine in Rhone and a Gold Batboon decides to use sacrifice after surprising your party.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2011 11:34:01 AM PST
Kaihaku says:
Indeed. I own the PSX version of Dragon Warrior VII but I'd welcome a Dragon Quest VII re-release for the DS.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Jun 10, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (191)