5.0 out of 5 stars A Timely Allegory
Published on May 7, 2011 by Mr. Aman S. Anand

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Dragons
Didn't really care for the story line. Felt that the dragon was not the main character and didn't feel that the characters were well-developed. Needed more background story to explain why people were like they were.
Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timely Allegory, May 7, 2011
This review is from: Big Dragons Don't Cry (A Dragon's Guide to Destiny Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Big Dragons Don't Cry is a deeply moving portrayal of man's destructive attitude towards animals and nature which challenges our established notions of dealing with such issues. The author's greatest feat is to deliver this hard-hitting message without ever `preaching' to her reader. Instead, the author creates wonderful characters such as the water dragon Druid and the cat Tara, who form bonds of companionship that override prejudices and illuminate this story.

The author succeeds in interweaving several threads of plot; her deft handling of these different plots allows the story to conclude with a terrific climax. The combination of an important moral message with a swashbuckling sense of adventure reminds me of Avatar.

One of the book's greatest strengths is that it constantly grounds its humour and adventure with an important overriding message - which is one heck of a feat for any author to pull off. This allows the book to pull off its key emotional moments with dexterity and depth.

Read this book - you won't regret doing so.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, thought provoking and in the same vein as Animal Farm by Orson Wells, April 17, 2011
The author spins an interwoven story line with some of the best descriptive elements found.

There is a serious undertone to the moralistic message. But, this message is delivered in such a way that it just becomes the fundamental principle on which the story is based.

The characterization and personifications were well done and the characters come alive with intensity.

If you like to have your thoughts provoked then this is a great read for you.

This is a strong 4 star book and the author has delivered a work worthy of reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not well written, April 24, 2014
Candid in Space. Way too much tech stuff combined with a naïve hero and lots of violence. Easy to pass up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Dragons, February 3, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Dragon's Don't Cry, July 2, 2011
Big Dragons Don't Cry is a delightful fantasy that offers imaginative characters--both human and animal--spectacular imagery, laugh-out-loud dialog, and a killer plot. It is also one fable where the lesson never overwhelms the story.

A few of my favorite characters include Druid, the water dragon, who has issues with his absentee parents; savvy cats that are reminiscent of all the cats that owned me; Phileas, the male lead, who is too smart for his own good; Serazina, the female lead, whose emotions touched my heart; and Malvern Snow, the malicious antagonist, who can best be described in the author's own words: "...Malvern moved closer, the smile of nightmares on his face."

The author's writing made me yearn for the possibilities that became a reality in this book, and I look forward to the sequel. In fact, her cinematic writing is perfect for the big screen, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Big Dragons Don't Cry will soon appear at a nearby theater.
BIG DRAGONS DON'T CRY - A Dragon's Guide to Destiny: Book I

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, April 18, 2011
I was able to receive a review copy of this book and consider myself extremely fortunate. I loved this story! The author's writing style is so comfortable to read and everything had a lovely flow to it. Being able to travel back and forth from animals to humans and back again, seemed effortless. And the viewpoints and voice of each character in the book was so unique. One thing the author did that not many do, is to start off with a chart of who is who. I found this so helpful and wish more fantasy writers would do this.

There was a very deep message to be found underlying the interesting plot, but at no time was it heavy handed. It did give a message for us all to think about, but I never felt like I was being hit with a "lesson." Because of this, the story was fun, and fascinating without being preachy.

I had wanted to read this book as I have read a few of the author's short stories and loved them. This writer's love for nature and animals, as well as people, comes through her writing so strongly. But I think that the thing I enjoyed most of all was that this story was also a story of redemption and hope. I am looking forward to seeing what else this writer has to say to us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully weaved tale, October 17, 2013
M. J. Phillips (Northwestern Connecticut) - See all my reviews
The story read quick, full of intertwined storylines, and wonderful characters. I adored the cats, and dragons of course! The heroic little Tara, a tiny kitten with a big burden is one of my favorite characters. This tale shows the good and bad side to humanity as others may see it-something I like to see in my readings. Without giving this away, the author 's writing style is active, with no dragging in passive voice, and painted scenes with skill and beauty.
I look forward to book 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Dragon Stories!, July 26, 2013
Julie A. Lynch (TORRANCE, CALIFORNIA, US) - See all my reviews
This story kept my interest as you never knew when the dragon was going to show up and how it was going to act. I liked the way everyone tried to say that the dragon was bad, but it turned out that it was just a baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars But they do!, July 24, 2013
If you've ever wondered about your cat's condescending attitude toward you, here is an enlightening possibility. Great cast of characters in the book and anxious to read the rest of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Dragons Don't Cry, November 21, 2012
What a great fantasy read, with all the things we love, talking cats, dragons and foolish humans. I have purchased the next 2 and can hardly wait to start them.