4.0 out of 5 stars A LOT Shorter Than I Expected, but Fascinating
DRAGON'S OATH took me exactly 28 minutes and 17.5 seconds to read. That's it. No joke. I timed myself. That being said, there's not a whole lot of new and exciting content. It almost seemed like a short story to me, one with a lot of really extended, unnecessary detail.

Published on July 13, 2011 by Hayden M. Casey

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much of a back story!
I have loyally followed this series and truly believe the House of Night books are getting better each episode. They are light weight YA books but they are fun and have been improving in their storyline and composition. When I heard this was coming out at first I thought it the next instalment. Wrong.

Based on the premise of giving the readers a view of how the...
Published on July 29, 2011 by Betsie Temple

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much of a back story!, July 29, 2011
Betsie Temple (Floating on a Caribbean Breeze) - See all my reviews

Based on the premise of giving the readers a view of how the professors became to be part of the House of Night these novella's were written. Novella's are typically around 50,000 words. What most people churn out during Nanowrimo for example. Having written a novella I was very disappointed with the way this book was presented. Where was the character development? The storyline? The 50,000 words!

Every chapter starts with a full page illustration, some of which are beautifully done, others not so much. Throughout the book, which is written in a large font, are more than just a decorative swirl, they are I would describe as a specifically designed illustrated paper waster. Pretty, but take up a lot of space on the page, decorative swirls. Once every chapter would be fine. Three in as many pages gets a bit ridiculous.

I loved how the story began. It immersed us into Dragons childhood, how he was marked, how he was guided onto a ship, and how he got the name "Dragon." Suddenly, as in two chapters suddenly (or so it seemed), we were with Anastasia, his love, and a little on how she became to be at the house of night. I think we learnt more about her family & background than we did his. Even if that part was very brief. This filled up more space as spells were cast and so forth. More pretty illustrations scribbled across the page. Nothing to do with Dragons years on his training, who was his mentor and the like. By now most of the book is over and you still know not a lot about the main character.

There is a slight reference to the Raven Mockers and Him under the Earth who is yet to be released. But honestly, this is a book about Dragon - I wanted to read about him. His life. It didn't even tell you about how he came to teach at the House of Night, how he felt about that, how he felt about Neferet, his students, his fighting, his warriors oaths and his beliefs. Just his oath to Anastasia.

It is a very skinny little novella that wishes to give you some insight as to how Dragon came to be a professor in the House of Night. This I thought would be a wonderful series, but it was like reading a chapter then going to bed. There was no substance. This could have been fleshed out to be a wonderful series in it's own right. I'd have loved that. I would rather have waited for that. Instead I spent $15.00 on a book that was as thin as my finger, not all that well written, was basically a love story, and I finished it in an afternoon.

If you're a fan of the series get this book. There are little references in it that you will appreciate. You will enjoy it, but know what you're getting and try not to be too let down.

To the authors. Please be serious about your writing or you will lose fans.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disapionted :-(, October 10, 2011
I love the House of Night series but Dragon's oath was an hour read for me. I didn't expect it to be so short, wasn't worth the 10 dollars i paid for it to be sent to my kindle. I sure hope destined will be better.

4.0 out of 5 stars A LOT Shorter Than I Expected, but Fascinating, July 13, 2011

The first chapter and the epilogue were in present-day HoN, and chapters two through eight were back when Dragon was Marked and all the chaos that ensued. (I know. Eight chapters. That's it?) Nevertheless, the novella was really well-written, and although it lacked length, it made up for it in plot and characterization. The primary reason DRAGON'S OATH wasn't five pages was because every chapter ended on the left page, the right page after was blank, the left page after had an illustration, and the right page started the next chapter. So, basically, about three pages are blank per chapter, which just seems lazy on PC's part.

That all being said, PC and Kristin Cast's latest miniature (literally) installment in the House of Night series was thoroughly enjoyable. I enjoyed reading about the spell casting and about the Darkness, a prominent theme in current House of Night books (AWAKENED, I'm sure DESTINED as well), and I'm sure we'll hear more about that in future books. I look forward to DESTINED!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick, sweet read...but be sure you're up-to-date on HoN, August 8, 2011
C. Mueller (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
(This review was originally posted at VampireBookClub.net)

So, this may sound a little funny, but I enjoyed reading Dragon's Oath more than I enjoyed the last House of Night full-length novel. It reminded me about why I've stuck with the series for so long. This first in a series of House of Night novellas, is set in the same world as the novels, only a bit earlier. There's still the same tension between the House of Night schools and the cities they reside in. There's still magic and love for Nyx. And you get to have all of that without the chaos that currently circles Zoey Redbird in the current novels (see our review of Awakened for details).

Instead we get to see Zoey & Co.'s professors Dragon Lankford and Anastasia fall in love. It's a simple story, told sweetly. Somehow they managed to use poetry in the story again, and, as usual it's rhyme-y and cheesy, but aside from that the story isn't cliched. It's fun to see these two when they were young, and we do get a bit more insight into Dragon's personality. We'll better understand his actions at the end of Awakened, and surely what's to come in the next book.

While 95 percent of the book is flashback, the authors decided to open it at a scene from the end of Awakened. After a beloved character has died. If you have not read Awakened, then Dragon's Oath will spoil it for you -- and you will likely be mad. This wasn't the case for me, but I certainly think a word of warning is warranted.

Overall, Dragon's Oath was a quick, sweet read. It made me smile, and has me more excited to get back to the House of Night full-length novels in the hopes of seeing if Dragon will live up to his promises in the coming titles.

Sexual content: Kissing

4.0 out of 5 stars Great New Series, August 3, 2011
Erin Henkel (California, USA) - See all my reviews
If you're like me, you are desperately waiting for the new House of Night to come out. This was great for in between. Only took me a day to read, but it is really cute, and let's you get to know different characters a little better. Don't let the beginning fool you...it gets really good!

5.0 out of 5 stars House of Night Novella Series, Book One, July 24, 2011
In England, the year 1830, Bryan Lankford is the third son to the Earl of Lankford. When Lord Lankford becomes fed up with his son's antics, he disowns Bryan and banishes him to America. But at the dock, Bryan is Marked by a vampyre, a Tracker, and given the choice of staying at London's House of Night or boarding the dragon-prowed ship to America. To Bryan, the choice is easy. The new fledgling vampyre heads to America.

It is 1833. Twenty-two-year-old Anastasia is a fully Changed vampyre. She is also the youngest professor in the Tower Grove House of Night in St. Louis. Though young in age, she is an expert in spells and rituals. After fifteen students approach and beg Anastasia for a love potion to use on Dragon Lankford, the young professor decides it is time for action. With the permission of High Priestess Pandeia, Anastasia casts a drawing spell. Instead of attracting Dragon's attention to anyone, this drawing spell focuses on the fifteen students who are obsessed with the young Sword Master. Once cast, the fifteen fledglings will see Dragon clearly, without their romantic infatuations clouding their judgements. (Sort of an anti-Dragon Lankford spell.)

The spell works, but due to the real Bryan Dragon Lankford charging into her circle, the spell goes slightly awry. The honest truth about Dragon is revealed to more people than intended. Anastasia's spell draws the future Dragon before her. The fully Changed version is undeniably a Warrior and the conjured vampyre reveals to Anastasia the truth of their future romance. They are destined to be mates. But first, according to the future Dragon, Anastasia would need to be patient. The young, rash, arrogant, and egotistical Dragon would need time to grow and mature.

Sheriff Jesse Biddle hates vampyres and wants to destroy all of them. Unknown to the mortals he is sworn to protect, Biddle has a dark creature trapped within a silver cage and the sheriff craves its power. Anastasia's spell reveals the truth about Dragon to the monster. Biddle learns that Dragon "will extinguish the Dark light" unless he is stopped. If Sheriff Biddle wants the dark power, he must kill Anastasia, the Dragon's mate.

***** FIVE STARS! This is the first in a series of House of Night novellas. Each will reveal back stories about some of the House of Night's biggest characters. In this offshoot of the popular vampyre series, the life of Sword Master Dragon Lankford is told. The story opens in the present day. Dragon holds vigil over a young fledgling's funeral pyre. As he guards the fire, Dragon begins to remember the past. At the end of the story, readers return to the present day. Now that I know about Dragon's life with Anastasia, I understand the man's need for vengeance. The reason for his cold efficiency in duty makes perfect sense.

With this new novella series, readers will receive insights that may enhance the full-length HON series. I have high hopes that these novellas will help breathe some life back into the full-length series. *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy but still...., July 19, 2011
I was so happy to hear that the first little novella would be about Dragon, I really love his character and his relationship with Anastasia and was hoping to see it revealed more in depth. I was disappointed with the length, though. There really wasn't anything wrong with what *was* there, I was just expecting more...especially regarding such an interesting character and a long relationship. As with all great writing, it left me wanting more, but I wouldn't have been disappointed if there was a bit more presented. Still...4 stars because the writing is good, and it's about Dragon ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragons oath, July 15, 2014
Great book to know the house of night professor's back ground.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price, quick read, July 12, 2014
Great price, quick read. If I had to be picky, I was a little disappointed it came without a cover. The picture shows the originally cover, but when I got it, there was no sleeve; just a plain black hardcover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 4, 2014
Excellent!

Dragon's Oath (House of Night)
Dragon's Oath (House of Night) by P. C. Cast (Audio CD - July 12, 2011)
$14.99 $7.18