Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dragon's Song
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

80%
20%

on February 6, 2013
Selah wants to be a Knight even though she is a girl. To everyone's surprise, she is chosen by a baby dragon and the Dragon God himself to become a dragon rider. The training is long and tough (these baby dragons start out very small and grow much more slowly than Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series). Over time, Selah does grow up and learn that to be a dragon rider is what she really wanted all along. Competing with boys is new to her but at last she wins them over.

Now, when will this author, who is very young, write the next 2 promised books in the series. Ms. Stern has great potential which I hope her college years will not stomp out of her.
on March 11, 2013
Wow. Here is an example of a wonderful book that is kept hidden beneath the stacks. I would have never read it except for the fact that my daughter (10) devored it in 3 days and nagged me until I agreed to read it. I am a "Game of Thrones" fan, love stories of knights, adventure and dragons. I thought I'd skim it to appease my daughter until I was captured. What an imagination! I loved the adventure and could not wait to get back home to read some more. This would make a GREAT movie... I was actually online to see if she wrote any more books and decided to write a review (which I have NEVER taken the time for before). A great read for kids and adults alike! The descriptions of the dragons, the smells, the hard work and pain, the love, I hope there are more books to read!
on October 16, 2005
Dragon Song is a REALLY good book. I personaly love dragons, so this book is perfect. I have read it 5 times. It is bassicly about a girl named Selah that has all these different things happening to her. She's sort of strange, in a way, but I can always find ways to relate to her. In fact, I think that anyone can find a way to relate to ether Selah, or Landon, Bern, Aswin, Master Garret, anyone in the book. It is a great book for boys and girls. And Adults too.
on December 10, 2006
My name is George, and I am using my mother's account to write this review. This, I believe, is the first online review I have ever written, and I believe this book is certainly worthy of my debut as a critic. The artistry on the cover of Dragon's Song appeals to a younger, female audience. However, I found this undeservingly unknown book to be sufficiently appealing to my 17 years of male age to keep me up into the late hours of the night. Looking at the release date of the novel, it is obvious its popularity has been overshadowed by the more popular book Eragon, a more typical fantasy. Dragon's Song, however, lacking elves and dwarves, has a more realistic feel, and though initially appearing to be very similar to Christopher Paolini's trilogy, these feelings wash away as the book progresses, revealing a storyline that is loosely similar to Harry Potter. Lacking the writing prowess found in many college-educated writers, this book is not for a reader who demands rich, sophisticated detail in all writing, but will unquestionably entertain all others. I give this mysteriously unknown book a strong five stars because of its engaging storyline, originality, awesome main character that either gender can easily identify with, and because I finished this book craving a sequel. I Strongly Recommend this book.
on October 6, 2008
I bought this book used because my oldest child enjoys anything to do with dragons, and I'm always looking for a title she might devour.

It turns out, this young author is a teenager, as Christopher Paolini is who wrote the much-acclaimed _Eregon_, _Eldest_, and _Brisingr_. She went to a public school, he was homeschooled. And there....the similarity ends.

I liked her book; I despised his (and could not be bothered to look at the sequels). There was more than a hint of McCaffrey in _Dragon's Song_, of course, but what dragon book these days hasn't been at least a shadow of the wonderful dragons of Pern? You have the fairly stereotypical hatchlings that form psychic bonds at birth, and the boot-camp environment for the hopeful rider wannabe's. But it is not quite so formulaic, once you get past the expected bullying of the outsider-girl. You have dragon-slayers! (No, none of THOSE on Pern), you get a remarkable training experience for the young riders, you get one chance at being chosen or you're outta here, and you have one of the coolest pantheons I've seen lately, and I'm fond of the kind of pantheon you find in Jennifer Fallon's /Hythrun Chronicles/ (Treason Keep, Medallon, Harshini). So this was pretty good!

On the down and suspension-of-disbelief damaging side, you have baby dragons who take bottles of (assumed) cow's milk! Cough. I'm sorry, somebody really needed to point out things like 'the dragons she has created are not mammals, because if they were the mother dragon would feed them dragon milk' to her. And after 2 years, the baby dragon is still small enough to ride on the teenaged girl's shoulder. So....exactly when *does* the young dragon grow to be a massive, rideable adult, if not in its rapid-growth first couple of years?

Still. For a first book, for such a young author...! I was impressed, and I do recommend it, scientific flaws notwithstanding. Read it, enjoy it, and applaud the young woman who wrote it, who will (I hope!) go on to bigger and better things.