on May 26, 2013
The Drakensang series is easily the best B-List RPG series available. It's easily a 5 in "bang for your buck" especially if you catch a sale. The games are beautiful (if somewhat less detailed and sculpted). The plots and quests are reasonably crafted (for a B-List game) and there's a surprising amount of clever humor woven into character dialogue if you have some patience. The options for character classes, skills and items is pretty broad. The interface is pretty intuitive, especially running (all sorts of options for character movement - allows you to adjust your style on the fly for battles). Some of the item/class management interface can be a bit clunky at worst. But some clunks from the Dark Eye have been fixed here.

This is a slow burn. You might need to invest an hour or two before you realize you enjoy it. Like the first Drakensang it starts out a little bland. Not bad, but the pacing feels like it could have been better. Push past and you'll have a significant number of hours of quality play ahead of you. I just finished playing the newer, Mars War Logs, and the differences in quality and playability are night and day.
on August 30, 2013
Like the first reviewer, I give this 5 stars for a B-grade RPG. (4 overall).

It is a beautiful game even if not -A- quality; But people often misunderstand that this is D&D-esque game based on a German ruleset so it is a bit different. It is not hard to learn but takes a little time understanding the stats.

This does not mean the AI is "stupid" as one reviewer claimed. Pauses and failed actions (interrupts) are common to this sadly, expiring genre.

It's not an epic story, but it's very engaging to play -- I have about 80 hours into it (I spend a lot of time with alchemy though). I liked the first story better but the pacing of this game seems better. Do expect a slow start, but stick with it and you should find yourself eager to level up, loot, gather herbs and kill the bad guys.

The difficulty level is pretty balanced with some challenging battles. Some will require more strategy than others. Also, the difficulty level is adjustable. The hardest battles are towards the last part of the game, mostly.

Drakensang has a semi-open world feel to it and the maps are good size, but not excessive. Unlike the first one, you can teleport in limited fashion in River of Time via select map locations.

I personally liked it much better than Neverwinter Nights 2 and I'm a huge fan of the first installment (+ DLCs).

People expecting Skyrim-esque graphics quality and gameplay will likely be disappointed.

It's worth full price in my opinion, and even a better entertainment deal on sale. Also, it is a prequel to the first one. (Playing this one first is OK, if not better to do).
on August 27, 2013
This game is similar to the original and it activates on Steam. It also goes on sale for $2-3 often, and it's worth the few bucks if you played the original and enjoyed it.

Most modern/hardcore RPG fans might be turned off by the game, but it is a good time on a budget.
on June 1, 2013
I got the game on the cheap during one of Amazon's MAYhem sale. So I really can't complain too much. Visual fidelity is ok, the developer uses a lot of fog to reduce overloading the graphics card, which works well. The art style is really nice, though certain things like stacks of crates here there and everywhere seem out of place. Guess its suppose to look like a shipping dock, but they are boring, stagnant and without the ability to climb them, seem overdone.

Biggest grips for the game are the computer AI NPC. They battle alongside you, but don't follow orders well. The game's system is exactly like Dragon Age. Gets some getting use to, you have to pause the game a lot during battle to ensure your team is doing what you want to do. There is a green box to select the entire party and then place an order, but I find that they seldom do what you want. Unlike Dragon's Age, I can't seem to write scripts for them either. So I have to had feed them potions and cast spells for them and turn them around if they run off to chase some other enemy off screen. Since there is an option for pause and turn combat, it might be ok.

But, when used for the first boss, by screen kept pausing over and over when I was moving my character into position. I was using a bate tactic on the boss to lure it around while my NPC mage blasted it with spells. I was forced to turn off the "pause after every turn" option due to this major technical glitch.

The game is hard, and it various ways. Enemies are relentless in their pursuit. No cover, blocking, or ranged tactics, so far. (I am still very early in the game). Health and mana items are scarce, healing spells are slow. The pacing during battles is off, with little time allowed to rest up until another wave of enemies arrives.

There is also a sneaking aspect to the game. Again this is not done the way games like Thief or Dishonored does. You have no idea where the enemy is, except for a text box in the area where he is talking at that moment. If you see him its too late and you have to fight. I guess its a matter of getting out a stop watch and trying to figure it out that way. It s just very clumsy and tedious.

If you loved Dragon's age and don't mind micromanaging your team, poor AI, and awkward pacing, then you might enjoy this game. To me, a die-hard RPG fan, it is a miss.
on July 5, 2013
It wasn't a bad game, but I would like to have a better skill (ie: harvesting flowers) leveling system. The Mini map isn't the easiest to follow, but I've had much much worse.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 5, 2013
What the hell is this? The screenshots in the description are very misleading, do not even think about purchasing this crappy excuse for a game.

Pros: Intriguing story for like 10 minutes
Cons: You move as fast as a turtle, and can't even run, terrible combat animations/system

This is a TERRIBLY underdeveloped excuse for an RPG, don't even think about buying this crap

Graphics are decent for the year it was released.