Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Draw Write Now, Book 1: On the Farm-Kids and Critters-Storybook Characters (Draw-Write-Now)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 9, 2013
My children (6, 7, 10) really like these books. They are cute and encourage them to draw in different ways. The one drawback is that it was not clear to me through either the item description or the Look/See pages available that this is NOT a consumable workbook. So I had no reason to need to buy 3 books for my 3 children - one book would have been sufficient. The child never actually draws or writes in the books - it's all done on separate sheets of paper.
11 comment| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2000
I just bought this book for my boys ages 4 and 3. And this book is great. It really teaches you step by step how to draw. I am very bad at drawing if it is anything other than stick people. But I am actually learning right along with the kids. It is great. It is full color, and you can reuse it many times with many children.
on September 23, 2006
I homeschool my kids and I bought this book for our art lessons. This is such an easy to follow drawing book. My kids are ages 5,7 & 10. All 3 are finding it easy to follow and their drawings are so good. I like to do the pictures myself. I like how the next step of the drawing is in a different color, it makes it so much easier. My 7 yr old even sat down with the book by herself and drew a picture without any help, and it turned out really nice. Hope this helps.
on September 15, 1999
Finally! A beginning level drawing course that allows children to be successful! Hats off to authors Marie Hablitzel and Kim Stitzer for sharing Marie's classroom lessons in this delightful series of books. My children love working with these books!
on August 29, 2005
My girls, 8 and 4, love this book. I am amazed at how well their drawings come out. Not only are their drawings fantastic but the older girl utilizes the writing exercises and thinks they are fun - unlike other writing exercises.

I am a homeschooling mother and would recommend this book to anyone with children, homeschool or not. They will love it.
on March 14, 2012
This book is great for young beginners and those who need to work on their fine motor skills. It is not a handwriting program, and really doesn't emphasize letter formation at all. But the premise is that children really need to be taught to recognize basic shapes contained in objects to be able to draw the objects. This is not a skill that come naturally, and if not specifically taught, most children will become frustrated by not being able to reproduce what they are seeing in their vivid imagination. My son is four; most boys are not ready for real letter formation at this age, but need to work on fine motor skills to get ready for that instruction. This book provides that in a fun and interesting way. My son opened the book and we drew a pig right off. Later he came to me with another rudimentary pig her had drawn from memory. It seems this technique works in so far as helping a child break down an object into its basic shapes so it can be reproduced. I will use this as part of his continuing preschool/kiadergarten curriculum and will be buying the next level book. But will also need a handwriting curriculum to supplement it.
on April 13, 2013
So... I have been having a hard time finding an art curriculum that works for our home school. My 6-year-old daughter throws up her hands and wails, "I CAN'T DRAW!!" then she ignores my instructions and goes back to doodling patterns. I confess I really thought she couldn't draw. Then, enter Draw Write Now! I saw this at a conference and I confess I had a hard time understanding it at first. A brief explanation: various items are drawn in about 4-6 steps. Each new step is printed in a new color while the previous steps are black, which makes it easy to understand what to do next. It's a lot less intimidating to think about drawing, say, an oval than an entire horse. There is also a short blurb written about the thing: "Horses live on farms. Horses eat grass. Horses run fast. We ride horses." This is written in manuscript on school paper for the child to read and then copy. It serves as a caption for the picture. There is also a teaching question for discussion ("How were horses used on farms 100 years ago?"). If you flip to a page in the back of the book ("Learn more about farms!") it will give you a short paragraph answer to the question and a book to read ("Farmer Boy") for more information.

I would have given this book four stars except for what happened. This morning, we were all drooling over all the new books I bought at the conference. My daughter grabbed the Draw Write Now book and was exclaiming over how much fun it looked. "Can I draw right now?" she asked? I replied, "Well... sure... but it's Saturday! Do you want to do school on Saturday?" We had a good laugh about that and then she piled right in. Six hours later with a few breaks she is still going strong. We all have at least 2 or 3 sheets with her artwork on it. And her artwork isn't too bad! The point is whether or not the child enjoys it - in this case, definitely yes. Also I think a lot of these can be redone repeatedly for practice as the child gains skill. ("Look! It's a horse's head - on a potato!" my husband said). At first blush, it appears that my daughter won't mind doing these exercises during Art time. I actually have more concerns about tearing it out of her hands so we can go on to Math.

Try Draw Write Now - right now! If you're anything like me, you'll find yourself looking forward to Art time instead of dreading it! :)
on November 10, 1999
I found this book about 18 months ago and I knew that this book will help my sons to draw. Chris is now 9 years old and Daniel is 6 years old. They both love these books ( book 1-6 ). They use these books most frequently for their projects. Ever since I have been buying these books for B-day presents, even sent them to Singapore !
on February 27, 2002
I bought this book for my 4 year old daugter to help her to draw more than stick people and flowers. She loves it. She gets so excited when she can actually draw a barn, a pig, a horse.... She wants more books. Have fun with it and learn how to draw using simple directions.
on September 19, 2005
Bought this for my 5 YO daughter - it gave her incentive to practice her printing - she wasn't allowed to attemp the drawing part until the writing part was finished.

Basically, each page has three-four sentences for them to copy with a full picture already done above it on the same page. On the next page, the main object of the picture (a pig for example) is drawn with basic shapes in a step-by-step manner - even my older girls love to try to draw them.

I can't wait to get the next book in the series - great idea!!!!