5.0 out of 5 stars Great drawing book
Published on June 9, 2009 by Dawn Kravagna

3.0 out of 5 stars For Beginners
This book is a pretty good beginner's book on how to draw dragons. It's got nice step by step instructions, fairly easy to follow, and provides tips and tricks for creating your own dragons.
It is a good book for doing cartoon-styled dragons and learning their simplified anatomy.
That being said; the art style is not my cup of tea. It isn't bad, but I'm not a...
Published 22 months ago by Hayley Mollman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drawing book, June 9, 2009
This is a great book on drawing dragons. But drawing only: If you're looking for painting or coloring tips, I would supplement this with another book. But at the price Amazon is selling it at, it's a great bargain! I cannot think of a book that could be more thorough for an introduction to drawing this mythical creature. Ms. Staple firstly introduces some pencil techniques then breaks the dragon form down into basic components: head views, body parts and then types of dragons from different views. She then shows the dragon in varying genders, ages, and poses. Most of the book is in black-and-white, as it's a basic pencil drawing book, but there are 16 pages in color in the center of the book of dragons in several colors and poses to demonstrate where you can further take your artwork. This is not for the advanced artist who is looking to further their dragon fantasy drawing skills, but for someone who needs a good solid foundation from which to develop their own unique creations. She makes it look easy. I'm glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, August 3, 2008
This book is amazing. Not only does this book teach you how to draw a dragon, but it teaches you how to bring your dragon to life using different postures, expressions, and personalizing features. The author does a great job at breaking the complexity of dragons into simple starting patterns and pieces, then shows you how to add detail and personality to achieve the final effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, January 31, 2010
Bought this for my son on a whim. He loves drawing and we have a ton of drawing books. We have alot (and I mean alot) of "how to draw" books. Many of them are just bargin bin filler that barely make attempts at instruction, or to illustrate the steps required to merely render the examples.

This book is not only NOT like those, it goes beyond. My son tried to explain to be why he loved this partcular book from the first moment he opened it, but it was an incoherent phrase with a lot of "inspirationals". Basically, it boils down to... "I don't know, it just inspired me".

Get this book! I am keeping an eye open for more from Sandra Staple, until then another drawing book my son likes is Drawing Dragons and Those Who Hunt Them.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books for dragon-art I have ever seen, June 24, 2009
This is an excellent book that amateurs and experts alike can learn from. I have been drawing for several years and the fact that all the pictures are either colored or graphite pencil helped immensely with my method of shading. The pictures are smooth and easy to follow while the text along the sides is simple to read and has a touch of humor without being overbearing. Each technique is carefully explained, and the fact that the book is entirely DRAGONS without having other random fantasy creatures is a major plus. Five stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tutorial for experienced and unexperienced dragon drawers, June 6, 2011
I was on the hunt for a dragon book just like this for AGES! And now I got it! Something I noticed right away when I looked at this book, is how much personality Sandra piles into her dragons! You can see it in their eyes! Out of all the other dragon books I've viewed, this is the first one that allowed its readers to jump into a totally new perspective, where dragons have feelings-a thought process even! And that's what all these other books are lacking. They are so unnecessarily dull and dry! They really don't have to be so boring! I've drawn dragons for many years now, and even though I have a lot of experience in this field, I found this tutorial book extremely helpful! So, I recommend this book for those with and without experience in this subject matter. I love the colored inserts! They really show how far you can take your drawing. I tend to use colored pencils and graphite for most of my work as well, but I also use acrylic paint from time to time, and doing a painting using this book as a rough reference isn't difficult at all. So I don't see a problem with no painting techniques being included. I am also glad (and surprised) not to see any digital work. I'm growing tired of all these other tutorial books trying to tell artists that the only way to be successful is to "go digital". I couldn't disagree more. Sure, this society IS becoming more and more dependent on technology, but to say that artists need to join the club and sit in front of screens all day like everyone else, just for the sake of making art is bizarre! I tend to use art as way to escape from this technology-based society and take a break from the screens! I was happy to see that Sandra sticks to the traditional mediums. This book really celebrates the continual relevance of traditional mediums AND Dragons! It's hard to believe there is such a book! Superb job Sandra! Thank You so much!

5.0 out of 5 stars All Drawing Books Should Be Like This!, December 30, 2010
I received this book as a present from my Dad, and I'm pretty sure he found it by divine intervention! This is the best - THE BEST - drawing book I have ever had the pleasure of working out of. I never would have guessed I could produce the work of art this book has inspired, but there it is, and more will follow! By following the simple instructions, I gradually mastered drawing the head and body of different dragons. After seeing my first drawing, my sister immediately requested a drawing of a Fairie Dragon. This book not only taught me how to draw dragons, but gave me some great tips for shading. One word: Tortillions! And three more words: Buy This Book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for beginners or those looking for inspiration, January 15, 2011
I recieved this book as a gift and was very pleased with it. I love dragons and drawing them but I always run into trouble creating the wings as well as the claws and legs. Unlike 'real' animals that you can look at in motion at the zoo or on the Internet, dragons are difficult to find in motion. The artist of this book provided many examples of dragons in different poses and how the perspective would change with their position. She also did a great job showing how to draw just the wings or just the claw. This focus on elements that always give me trouble helped me to understand the basic phsyiology of winged or clawed beasts and has improved my own drawings. The medium of pencils and colored pencils works just fine for me even though I also use paint, watercolors, markers and chalks. Though she only used pencil, the addition of colored pages clearly defines how the drawings will look with color added. If you are comfortable with whatever color medium you are using, you can create very similar effects using this book as a guide. This book was fun and provided inspiration for my own dragon drawings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, May 9, 2009
I've always been a fan of dragons and for many years in the past I became an avid collector of dragon action figures, drawings, and posters. Now that I'm in my 50s and I've started to learns the ins and outs of sketching, drawing, and painting, naturally dragons became the first subject I wanted to learn to put down on paper.

This book has plenty of good instructions, advise, and examples. It is explained in such a clear and concise manner that it enabled me to draw my first dragon within minutes of reading the book. Although my first drawing of a dragon was a crude ugly thing that didn't look at all like the beautiful examples shown in the book, as I practice more my dragons are starting to look more decent and believable.

Thank you Ms. Staple for such a wonderful book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Instruction on Dragon Drawing Technique, February 6, 2009
R. I. (Orange County) - See all my reviews
I got this for my 10 year old daughter who is very interested in dragons and is a budding artist. She was able to follow the directions and has learned quite a bit from this book. This book is suitable for adults or older children. It is not written for young children. Very well done, I give it an A.

5.0 out of 5 stars great drawing how-to, November 14, 2009
Michelle Sinclair "shell-bell54" (Sand Springs, OK United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 10y/o nephew and he loves it. He's a big dragon fan and he loves to draw.

Rate and Discover Movies