4.0 out of 5 stars Just bought and using this book
I bought this book because a few art ladies in my neighborhood meet once a week to work from this book and now I am meeting with them. I have never read any of Edwards other books and am not familiar with her theories. I just wanted to reactivate my art talent.

Published on December 2, 2005 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing
I loved the video "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and also the book "The New Drawing on the right Side of the Brain",but this new book is just a new format for the exercises covered in the book and video. There are not 40 new exercises as promised, and actually there are very few new exercises.
I was looking forward to the book to further...
Published on November 1, 2002 by nickey777

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, November 1, 2002
"nickey777" (Rockville Centre, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Workbook: Guided Practice in the Five Basic Skills of Drawing (Ring-bound)
I was looking forward to the book to further the skills I developed with new ideas not to redo the exercises I've completed.
It's a great book for someone who never invested time or money in Betty Edwards' book or video, but it's not worth it if you have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just bought and using this book, December 2, 2005

I have done ten of the forty exercises so far. I have been impressed with how easy it was to just start drawing again. From some of the exercises I get the drift of where Edwards is coming from, but what is more important is the experience I am gaining.

On exercise six are drawings upside down and you sketch them that way; then turn them upright when done and surprise you have an amazing sketch of the drawing you copied. The idea is that you trick your brain into switching to the right side and stop the left side from talking and cluttering up your mind with thoughts such as "I don't do upside down pictures".

If you get the book do all the drawings in this exercise and you will find an interesting thing happens. The drawing you think is the simplest to do and get right is actually the hardest and the hardest is the easiest to do. You can come up with your own theory on that. I have my own. I learned a lot about myself from this exercise when I analyzed my pictures. One thing I found is that I draw things slightly larger than I see them. So go for it and see what happens for you.

I mail ordered all the supplies listed in the book and found that I did not need all the things on the list and could have done without some things and saved myself some money. It is easy to adapt the lessons to your budget if you get creative. Do get the kneaded eraser, charcoal, and number four pencil. You can end up spending over twenty dollars for all the supplies recommended.

I plan to update this review when I am done with the workbook. I give it four stars now because I have not finished the book and the issue with the supply list.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Portable Classroom, July 11, 2004
Sarah Dreher (Amherst, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I started out as an insecure, fumble-fingered incompetent -- couldn't even doodle. With the techniques Edwards puts forth, I've been able to learn a tremendous amount about drawing, and about looking at the world (a side-effect not to be understimated). This workbook provides a classroom experience for those who can't find or afford a classroom. For those of us with some experience, it's a great refresher course. I recommend it very highly. In fact, I'm ordering my second copy, for an insecure, fumble-fingered friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, February 18, 2006
T. Muench (Saint Germain, WI USA) - See all my reviews
While not absolutely necessary, this is an easy way to keep organized and on track if you're using the Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain text. You can find the essential materials and supplies you'll need in your own home, but this workbook gives you a place to keep your work in one place and in order. I suppose you could just use this workbook, but the text is where you'll learn the 'why' of what you're practicing, so I'd recommend that if you're only going to buy one, buy the text, not this workbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Resource for Artists & Would-Be Artists!, November 3, 2002
By A Customer
If you are taking a drawing class, or using Dr. Edwards' book, "The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain," you will find this a very helpful workbook. It features lots of new information, and expanded exercises and projects that will help to reinforce your drawing skills and abilities, whether you are a beginner or a seasoned expert. I also highly recommend the video of Dr. Edwards' actually teaching her class - there is an order slip in the Workbook that you can use to get the video. She is a gifted teacher, and it is great to see her teaching "in-person."

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't draw? This book will show you how., December 23, 2005
G. Helms (Silicon Valley, USA) - See all my reviews
Terrence Hines has become stuck on the right vs. left brain issue and is ignoring the quality of the instruction in this book. Forget the whole left vs right brain right or wrong issue, and you still have a fantastic book that is in use by dozens of colleges across the country.

Can you barely draw stick figures? This book will show you a different way to look at the world. Can you doodle or cartoon, but want to draw more realistic portraits? This is the book to pick up. Artists look at the world in a different paradigm than when tooling around picking up groceries, and this book will show you how to switch paradigms. From looking at the negative space that surrounds an object, to looking at only the shades of dark that define an object, you'll learn how to 'see' objects in a way that makes it MUCH easier to draw.

I've doodled and cartooned for years, and was dissatisfied with the 'flat' appearance of my scribbles. "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" was recommended to me by a friend, and in a few short weeks I went from flat cartoons to drawing recognizeable portraits. One of my portraits has been published on the rear cover of "From Turban to Toering". To date this remains one of my favorite gifts to give to friends who want to draw and claim they can't. You *can*, and this book will help!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource!, January 20, 2003
By A Customer
I have loved every book that Betty Edwards has published, and this workbook is an excellent "companion" to those. If you already know how to draw and want to brush up on your skills, this book has some excellent tools and tricks to support you. If you're just learning to draw, it is a supportive guide. Buy it along with THE NEW DRAWING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BRAIN, and they will change your life!

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, Betty Edwards without the Psychobabble!, November 25, 2009
I do have her original book and her "new" Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, and each time I picked them up I found the exercises useful but was quite turned off by her fairly incessant, and often physiologically incorrect, psychobabble. Now this exercise book provides you with her exercises largely shorn of the right brain/left brain psychobabble. The exercises are good and do help release and train your creativity and are designed to improve your "vision" of the surrounding world, and in this it succeeds. The workbook has blank pages left for you to draw in the book itself, which is useful since it leaves you with a permanent record of your progress. I do wish they had used better drawing paper for those pages, but then I can be fussy about my materials and since many art students use newsprint for their practice exercises and since the book is meant as a set of exercises rather than as finished art work, I guess I am nitpicking here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tool for artists and non-artists, December 14, 2003
By A Customer
I have to disagree with the few negative reviews that have recently appeared for the Edwards workbook.
This is a fine gift for anyone interested in learning to draw. While it doesn't go into depth as "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" does, it does provide enough information to get started - the methods and approach of Dr. Edwards are groundbreaking and absolutely essential information if you want to use your WHOLE brain. (And yes, Nicolaides' book is important, too, but Edwards work is very complementary to it, and carries his work many steps further...)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine workbook - worth the price!, June 28, 2003
By A Customer
This isn't meant to replace Edwards' outstanding books, including the classic Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. But it is helpful with its exercises, drawing tool, and current research. Don't expect miracles, but do expect improvement in your drawing skills! ...

$18.95 $16.24