Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

on April 30, 2006
Don't let the prior reviewer screw with your head. The book is exactly what it says it is: famous quotes paired with pictures you've already seen of Olivia. Is it groundbreaking? No. Is it a cute trifle to give to somebody as an inspirational bit? Sure. That's all it's supposed to be for.
44 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2007
My daughter recieved this book as a high school graduation gift. She loved it, I loved, we all loved it....so much that we have given copies of the book for graduation gifts. Not a story...simply an inspirational book with quotes from famous people that build character and challenge readers to follow their dreams.
on January 9, 2007
This was such a wonderfully inspiring little book that I bought for all of my son's teachers. I am a teacher myself, and bought one for my co-workers, as well. Some are using the book in classrooms for writing prompts and other activities!
When my children were young, I looked in vain for children's books that contained inspirational aphorisms. I wanted to find such books because brief quotes by important historical figures had always played a big role in my life.

I was thrilled to find that Ian Falconer had taken some of his prior drawings of Olivia and selected appropriate inspirational quotes around the theme of "Dream Big." Naturally, there's irony here . . . beginning with the fact that the book is in a very small format, like that of gift books.

Although the book's page size is small, there are thirty quotes and matching images. I thought that the illustrations and quotes were well matched . . . often providing adult humor as well as kiddy laughs. In fact, you'll probably find yourself having an opportunity to explain a few of these quote and illustration combinations (a great chance for bonding with a child) such as "You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note" with a Olivia singing by herself and "Dreams say what they mean, but they don't say it in daytime language" with Olivia dreaming of singing on stage in a red gown. Some of the illustrations also make for good fun, being puns on the quote.

Please realize that there is no story to connect the quotes . . . this book is inspirational rather than story-telling.

Dream Big with Olivia!
on April 8, 2010
So I got fooled (perhaps a harsh word) into buying this book as part of one of Amazon's bundles...with Missing Toy & Olivia Saves the Circus. I failed to read the detail on what the book is. It is a book of inspirational quotes. While not doubt the quotes are great (I've now added one to my facebook profile) this isn't a book for my 2 year old Olivia obsessed daughter. I may put it away and give it to her when she turns 18 or graduates from high school like another reviewer states. Also, something to note, none of the pictures of Olivia are new...if you've read all the other books you've seen these.
In short...great book...but not a children's book.
on January 22, 2015
It's a very small book with lots of great quotes about being a strong, independent, confident person. It's just a little awkward because Olivia is a character targeted toward young kids, but the book isn't really a good read aloud book. It seems like the substance of it could be better appreciated by a child who is at the age that it would no longer like Olivia the character. Good messages though.
on November 15, 2014
It's surprising, simple and delightful. The cartoons, the comments and the pages of brilliance each one even better than the next. I was able to share this with several people who have also loved it. I read it before my first marathon and it was motivating and inspiring. A great gift for anyone you care about.
on January 4, 2007
I recognized a lot of the authors and famous people. The sentences that they said were very inspiring. I love my book!
on October 20, 2013
I don't like this book, but it is my fault for now reading the reviews. DIdn't realize it was not a kid's book. I ordered it for a 3 and 5 year old along with a lot of other Olivia books and it is sitting in my basement unused and ready for donation. Too much bother to return it.
on January 12, 2016
Perhaps I should have read the description better - but this is not a real "Olivia" book. It is a book of quotes with recycled pictures from the other Olivia books. It's just ok. My daughter still liked it - but I was disappointed.