Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: Audio CDChange

on December 6, 2006
I remember Jennifer from American idol and i thought she was good, but would never do anything once she was off and look at her now! She shines in this soundtrack. I still like Jennifer Holliday better, but Jennifer holds her own. This is a star studded soundtrack with beyonce, jamie foxx, eddie murphy and of course Jennifer Hudson. The songs are catchy and likable. For all of your who don't know, this movie is slightly based on the Supremes. The whole cast shines, Eddie murphy is better than i expected in this role. Even if you don't like musicals, you should give this a try, i think you will be surprised. I can't wait for the movie. Watch the golden globes jan. 15 to see if this amazing cast and movie will win.
Jennifer Hudson-Golden Globe WINNER!, best supporting actress
Eddie Murphy- Golden Globe WINNER, best supporting actor

Beyonce Knowles- Golden Globe Nominee, best actress
DreamGirls- Golden Globe WINNER, Best Musical or Comedy
Listen: Golden Globe nominee best original song
OSCAR WINNER: Best supporting actress Jennifer Hudson
0Comment38 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This electric soundtrack to the movie Dreamgirls crackles with energy and does not disappoint. I commend these fine performers for doing their own singing throughout the soundtrack to the motion picture. Moreover, although Amazon writes that Jennifer Hudson could not outdo Jennifer Holiday as Effie; I believe that at the very least Hudson matched Holiday when she sings the beautiful, passionate and heartbreaking ballad "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going." I rarely see any actor or actress give their all to deliver a song so powerfully in the manner Jennifer Hudson does when she stops the show with "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going."

The CD barely starts there. The songs "Move" and "Fake Your Way To The Top" offer catchy melodies and superb lyrics. "Cadillac Car" is another masterpiece; and this is highlighted even more when another artist essentially steals the song and performs it in such a comparatively drab fashion. "Family" is a touching ballad about how the main characters in the plot will stick together and value Effie even as she is being demoted from lead singer to backup. Excellent!

"I Am Changing" and "One Night Only" offer Jennifer Hudson another opportunity to show off her incredible vocal talents; the soul in these ballads stuns you. And Lord knows, brace yourself for the disco version of "One Night Only." The three lady group performs this song with such high voltage energy you'll be sitting in your seat as your hair stands up straight behind you parallel to the floor--exactly like the infamous advertisement for Memorex tapes! Like all the songs on the CD, the disco version of "One Night Only" is performed to perfection.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. The CD closes with The Dreams singing "Hard To Say Goodbye" and "Dreamgirls (Finale)." These passionate songs are delivered flawlessly. There is also a touching duet of "When I First Saw You;" and this concludes the album.

Despite the fact that this album is a very recent release Amazon already gives it the status of "an Amazon.com Best Music of 2006 selection." I don't doubt their judgment for a minute. The movie sparkles and crackles with electric performances by Beyoncé (who sing the beautiful ballad entitled "Listen); Jennifer Hudson (who, as Effie, performs the show stopping number "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going") as well as songs delivered straight from greats like Eddie Murphy and Jamie Foxx. I didn't know Eddie Murphy and Jamie Foxx could sing so well!

The artwork is excellent and the quality of the sound does not disappoint.

One thing, however: Please be aware that there is an alternate two CD version of the soundtrack that you can also purchase here on Amazon.com. That version comes with an additional 16 songs as well as a lyric and photo booklet.

Overall, this album--and the movie--is an absolute must for any movie buff or any fan of great musicals. Fans of movie soundtracks and Beyoncé will never be disappointed. Moreover, if you want the finest introduction possible to the gifted Jennifer Hudson, you must buy this CD.

Every once in a very long while, all the stars in the heavens align in exactly the right places to create a work of art as impressive as the soundtrack to the movie Dreamgirls Get this CD--but set aside plenty of time before you start to listen to it because one, two or even three straight listens could never be enough! Great job on this CD, everyone!
HALL OF FAMEon February 28, 2007
The brand-new film version of DREAMGIRLS features three additional songs, especially written for the film version, which blend in seamlessly with the songs from the original stage production (for more info about the Broadway stage production, check out my review of the Dreamgirls (1982 Original Broadway Cast)).

The true star of this soundtrack is undoubtedly Jennifer Hudson, whose searing performance as Effie White has won her Golden Globe, SAG, and Academy Awards for 'Best Supporting Actress'. Just listen to the amazing way she tackles Effie's agonizing anthem, "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going".

Beyonce Knowles plays the role of Deena Jones, and comes off best with "Listen", one of the three new songs (and co-wrote by Knowles herself), an equally-stirring ballad sung at a point where Deena has come to an emotional crossroads. Anika Noni Rose (a Broadway veteran from CAROLINE OR CHANGE) also scores heavily as Lorrell with "Patience".

Eddie Murphy and Jamie Foxx also unveil their fine singing voices here. The soundtrack to DREAMGIRLS is a fantastic souvenir from an unforgettable movie musical.

[Sony 88967 04102 2]
on December 19, 2006
Being a big fan of "Dreamgirls" over the years, I've eagerly awaited the release of the film version for more than a year. Fortunately, the soundtrack lived up to the movie's hype!

While Jamie Foxx's take on "When I First Saw You" was nothing terribly special, the rest of the cast shines throughout the soundtrack. Jennifer Hudson's voice is amazing in the role of Effie. Beyonce, Rose, & Murphy are also terrific.

Though a couple of the songs from the stage version have been dropped, all of the primary songs remain intact - with a couple of terrific songs added as well.

Best Tracks include:

Move
Steppin' To The Bad Side
Love You I Do
Dreamgirls
And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going
Patience
I Am Changing
One Night Only (both versions)
Hard To Say Goodbye

Can't you just smell the Oscar nominations coming?
on May 6, 2007
This is a superb soundtrack, although I wished I had realized that there was also a 2-CD version...I would have purchased that instead of the single disc version. Though there are a few tracks that don't really shine for me (Steppin' to the Bad Side, Cadillac Car) I think its probably a matter of personal preference...I'm sure there are people who really love those tracks. That said, the best tracks on the album are "Love You I Do", "Dreamgirls","Patience", "I Am Changing", "One Night Only" (both versions), "Listen" (a new addition to the score, and its fantastic!), "Hard to Say Goodbye", and the too-short but sweet finale "Dreamgirls" reprise.

I ommited mentioning Jennifer Hudson's "And I am Telling You I'm Not Going", only because I want to comment on this notion people have that Jennifer's performance here is bad. First, let me say I never watched American Idol, had no idea who Ms. Hudson was, had never heard her sing before, and was certainly not an established fan. That said, I take extreme issue with the review (and any others like it) in which the reviewer said they were familiar with the original cast recording with the fabulous Jennifer Holiday and that Ms. Hudson's performance was so bad they had to turn it off. This is ridiculous, and totally destroy's this reviewer's credibility as far as I'm concerned. I'm 40 years old, own the original cast recording, and although one could certainly claim that Ms. Hudson's performance isn't as good as Jennifer Holiday's (though I actually like both equally...they are just different, apples and oranges, so to speak) it is completely obvious that Ms. Hudson's performance is in no conceivable way BAD. You can argue that it suffers in comparison to Jennifer Holiday's performance, but you cannot intelligently claim that it is so bad as to be unlistenable. Shame on you. Ms. Hudson's performance is perhaps not quite as "frantic" as Jennifer Holiday's, but I think its a refreshing take. I think some people just wanted Ms. Hudson to mimic Jennifer Holiday's performance note for note, ad-lib for ad-lib, which is not being a singer...its being a vocal xerox machine.

People, don't listen to the nay-sayers. Jennifer Hudson is fabulous here. I look forward to seeing what she does in the future.
HALL OF FAMEVINE VOICEon December 14, 2006
It's good to know that Simon Cowell's self-aggrandizement has not prevented one deserving "American Idol" finalist from falling into generic chart-driven mediocrity, but credit for the high quality of this soundtrack recording should first go to Henry Krieger's sturdy, crescendo-heavy score and Tom Eyen's constantly engaging book and lyrics. The most prototypical example of their work is the near-operatic histrionics on "It's All Over" where all the principals take flashy, fiery turns to illuminate the story's turning point. The combination of talents has yielded a theatrical pop tour de force that brings out the best of its performers, in particular, newcomer Jennifer Hudson, who shines as embattled Effie on the two most melodramatic songs - the triumphantly conciliatory "I Am Changing" and the classic take-no-prisoners defiance of "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going".

Singing in the shadow of the startlingly overwhelming Jennifer Holliday is no picnic, and I am one of those in a show-me mode since I was lucky enough to see "Dreamgirls" in its original incarnation in 1982. While Hudson may lack Holliday's gospel-fueled, full-throttle delivery, she expertly builds on Effie's emotional desperation with admirable technique and vocal chops that show her in full control throughout, which includes her soulful turn on "One Night Only" and a new addition, the finger-snapping "Love You I Do". As Deena, the obvious Diana Ross doppelganger, Beyoncé Knowles holds her own as she manages to capture her progenitor's breathy, slinky style, especially in the infectious girl-group ensemble numbers. Given her above-the-title status, it's not surprising that Beyoncé sings a new solo ballad here, "Listen", somewhat generic though it stylistically fits well within the story. As third member Lorrell, Broadway performer Anika Noni Rose exhibits a beautiful voice (frankly far prettier than Mary Wilson's ever was) but is relegated mainly to the ensemble numbers.

The men are comparatively overshadowed on the soundtrack, though Jamie Foxx as ambitious manager Curtis Taylor and especially Keith Robinson (another terrific voice) as Effie's conflicted brother C.C. acquit themselves well, especially on the saucy boogie of "Steppin' to the Bad Side". But the big surprise is Eddie Murphy, who seems to be channeling James Brown with cunning abandon as Jimmy "Thunder" Early. Nowhere is this more evident than his spot-on imitation on the comically manic "Jimmy's Rap". Moreover, backed soulfully by Rose and Robinson, he really shines on "Patience", a Marvin Gaye-like civil rights-themed ballad, probably my favorite new number on the soundtrack. If the soundtrack is a true indication of the movie, I can't wait to see it.
on December 12, 2006
I did not think anyone could come close to Jennifer Holiday but Jennifer Hudson sure does sounds amazing! I remember watching American Idol: Season 3 and immedietly fell in love with Jennifer Hudson. I was so upset when she got kicked off and felt robbed that she had to go so soon. I knew she would do something big and here she is!! She is by far the standout star on this soundtrack!!

There are quite a few good songs on this soundtrack that are great. Beyonce's "Listen" is a fantastic song, which Beyonce specifically wrote for this movie. She does a great job in this song with her vocals.

The Jennifer Hudson songs are BY FAR the peak of this CD. "And I am Telling You" and "I Am Changing" are both PHENOMENAL!! They both give me goosebumps.

If you are a fan of this musical, any of these artists or of the original songs then this soundtrack is for you!!

Remember the name Jennifer Hudson - this is just the beginning for her.
22 comments6 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2007
i know what your thinking, im 12 so my opinion could matter less. but take my word, when i saw this movie i was blown away! i cried, i laughed, i applauded. you really get to love these charactors in this movie! this soundtrack is amazing as well, as Jennifer Hudson is simply amazing. her voice blows me away each time i listen to "Your gonna Love Me" or whatever its called. I DEFINATLEY recomend this soundtrack. Who knew Eddie urphy could sing so well? just see for yourself and purchase this soundtrack right now!!!

-Hannah
on December 5, 2006
Jennifer can SANG, what a great CD, all the music is good. I can not wait to see the movie next week, and i can not wait for Jennifer hudson to come out with a CD. Jennifer Hudson made the soundtrack sound great, Bouncey is ok.
on December 5, 2006
This is a fantastic soundtrack. I've heard all the hype associated with the movie and the interviews with all the actors that I HAD to check this out. It's so good and I can't stop playing it.
Jennifer, Beyonce and Anika start out the cd with the cool and fast paced Move which is one of my favourite songs. I also love the power ballad Listen and the title track Dreamgirls. Eddie Murphy reminds us again that he isn't too bad of a singer. The song Cadillac Car is great and he also does a lot in I Want You Baby and Steppin To The Bad Side. I also love Patience which is an original song that was written for this movie and didn't appear in the broadway show version. The whole cd has a great broadway showtune sound to it, and I hope this is a sign that the movie is going to be as great as this. I really like this cd and I think it will have wide appeal to everyone even though it's more showy music than mainstream hit music. I love it.