Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 31, 2009 1:58:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2009 1:59:21 PM PDT
This is scheduled for release in November 2009 as "Dreamin' Man: Harvest Moon Live", and is #12 in the NY Performance Archives Series. It will be live recordings of NY performing the songs from the then soon-to-be-released album Harvest Moon in 1992.

Track List:
Dreamin' Man
Such A Woman
Old King
One of These Days
Harvest Moon
You and Me
From Hank to Hendrix
Unknown Legend
Natural Beauty
War of Man

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 12:37:54 PM PDT
Thanks for posting the info, Hong Kong. This can also be confirmed on Neil's website (Neilyoung.com).In typical Neil Young fashion, this is supposed to be volume TWELVE of the Archives Performance Series. Kind makes you wonder what happened with 4-11, doesn't it? I assume we'll get those somewhere down the line, as I imagine will this album be available in whatever Archives box set covers this time period. (In other words, heads up--you might want to hold off on this one if you think you can wait.)

According to Neil's website, this is due out on or around November 2nd, which is now about a week away. So it is a bit distressing that Amazon has no posted availability date as yet. I'm thinking this'll be a little later than expected. Oh well. It's typical of Neil Young and release dates, really...

Posted on Nov 2, 2009 9:50:51 AM PST
The NY website now lists 12/8/09 as the release date for this CD, which means it may be out by January or February (sorry, that's my natural cynicism peeking through). I for one plan on buying it as soon as it's released. Seeing that it took Young almost 20 years to release volume one of his archives, and this is #12 in his "performance series" and would probably appear in either volume 3 or 4 of the archives, it would therefore come out somewhere between 2069 - 2089. Neil may live forever, I plan on being dead by then.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2009 1:37:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2009 1:40:51 PM PST
I was just about to post that! The site also mentions January 17th for the vinyl edition.

As for whether this release date sticks, at least to my memory, once an Archives Performance CD is announced, it hasn't been delayed in the past. Being optimistic, the previous three have been released smoothly enough. Of course I'll be buying it when it comes out. I'd rather think sooner than later. After all, Time Fades Away.

If Neil is now releasing NYAPS #12, he must have this thing planned out. The only question is why he's jumped out of chronology. Well, alright, he was never in chronology with this to begin with-- releasing #2 and #3 before #0 and #1. One theory is that Reprise probably regards Harvest Moon material as more commercially viable, given that the original was Neil's biggest hit of the last twenty years or so. Of course, in instances when there's a Volume 0 to begin with, it's probably best not to probe too deeply...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2009 3:35:36 PM PST
Where did you get the new release date? NY website still have Nov 2 as a release date. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2009 3:35:57 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 2, 2009 3:37:26 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 3, 2009 10:18:56 AM PST
It's in the "NY Times" section of Neil's Garage:

http://www.neilyoung.com/news/index.html

12/8/09 for CD, 1/12/10 for vinyl.

I still predict that it won't be out until a month or two after both of those dates.

Posted on Nov 11, 2009 6:25:39 PM PST
I'd hold off on getting this it's only a live comp and not a specific concert or even a disc with alot of songs loaded in it's only all the tracks from a regular album but done live and i think it's solo acoustic infact i'm pretty sure it is...otherwise nothing really great unless your starving for neil young material...i did read that volume 2 or i guess 3 will come before 2 now is scheduled to be out in the spring of 2010 which means the winter of 2011 or something like that

Posted on Nov 16, 2009 1:39:13 PM PST
Bomber says:
What's the big deal about this release.Harvest Moon did nothing for me.I thought it was mediocre at best.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2009 2:10:39 AM PST
The big deal is that Neil was performing these songs live and solo for months before "Harvest Moon" was released, and every hardcore Neilhead who heard them in concert was ecstatic about them. Almost every one one of those fans, myself included, thought the studio album was a letdown and that the live performances, raw and honest, should have been released instead.

"Harvest Moon" did nothing for you? What did you ever do for IT? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2009 2:51:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2009 12:32:43 PM PST
I'm not sure how you know for certain that's a "comp", but regardless, so was Weld... obviously, this will be a different kind of album but I don't think its being culled from several shows is reason to stage a boycott.

As for volume 2/3, that's exciting, but having not seen anything official, I have to doubt it.

Posted on Nov 30, 2009 2:53:58 PM PST
Harvest Moon isn't my favorite Neil Young album, either. There are some good songs but I thought they weren't sequenced all that well and could have benefitted from a rawer approach, so I'm looking forward to an opportunity to hear these tracks in a different sequence, in pure acoustic form.

On the side, I haven't played Harvest Moon in a while--it just gets lost among the rest of Neil's great catalogue. I may have to break it out soon for a warm-up.

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 2:41:58 AM PST
Kari says:
Greetings to all you Neil Young fans out there. This fan is not going to buy any more NYP issues. I will wait for the next Archive box. Could not buy vol 1 as so much of what was included was duplicated including the very recent NYP issues. I want to be able to consider buying vol 2 and other volumes. Why NY does this to his fans is not clear to me. I'd like to think it is not the money he makes by making his fans to buy the same stuff again and again. I suspect he just does not care, about money or about his fans. He operates in another world, good for him; the rest of us will just have to try to cope. Life goes on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2009 12:01:20 PM PST
I had a lot of stuff on Vol. 1 already, also. But I just bought the individual MP3s of the songs I didn't have, and it cost me about $20. Why wait for Vol. 2, which I believe we can expect around 2027? I'm going to enjoy the individual issues now.

BTW, Neil sells the individual discs of the Archives on his Web site. Yeah, the first Archives box was a huge disappointment. (THREE "Down By the Rivers"? Why? That's not exactly a rarity.) Instead of trickling out the unreleased tracks, he should have put together one mega-box with all of his incredible rare material on it. As it was, fully an hour of the first volume consisted of "Cowgirl in the Sand" or, surprise, "Down By the River." We get it. He shot his baby. Down by the river. Dead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2009 2:26:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2009 2:31:10 PM PST
Which three Down by the Rivers? There was the original, the Filmore East performance... and what else? You counting the Music Scene video performance with CSN&Y? If so, I was grateful for such rare video (well, nothing's as rare as it used to be what with video recorders and Youtube, but still.) As a fan, I'm surprised to see this level of disregard for live performances and other alternate versions. Some of them have tremendous musical merit and how can you not want them if you'd brand yourself a collector? Have people seriously lost touch with the meaning of the word "rare"?
Hello? The video of Neil playing Down by the River on Music Scene IS rare. Same for the acoustic performances of Cinnamon Girl and the Loner. I don't care if you've heard the songs before--these renditions are rarities. That' s the whole point of a collection.

EDIT: I don't think we'll be waiting until January or February for this. There's a free stream of it over on the Thrasher's Wheat fan forum for anyone who's interested. Just google it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Aug 31, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 7, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dreamin' Man Live '92
Dreamin' Man Live '92 by Neil Young (Audio CD - 2009)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (24)