5.0 out of 5 stars chocolate heaven!
Didn't think Marcel could top his last book, but I was wrong! Recipes run the gamut from easy to challenging with his usual well detailed and well written instructions. Love the comments in the chef's touch also. My only problem with the book is trying to decide which one to start with!! Excellent, and beautiful, book that will make a great Holiday gift.
Published on October 31, 2007 by DMTY

3.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate Resource
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Published 14 months ago by EducatedGuy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars chocolate heaven!, October 31, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the one!, November 20, 2007
This review is from: I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas (Hardcover)
If you're a chocophile this is the book for you! Especially if you actually like to bake the concoctions that delight your eyes. (WOW to Ron Manville's great photography.) These recipes are definitely doable with fantastic results. My personal favorites are matante minnie's chocolate peanut butter blossoms and the chocolate cashew diamonds....they actually came out looking like the picture!!!!
This is also a great "guy" gift! I've heard from many guys who have purchased the book at my shop and have been proud of the recipes they've reproduced through it.
Marcel's "chef's touch" is a welcome feature
....this book should top your list for holiday giving!
Treat yourself and the sweetie's on your list.
From my shop to yours....GiGi at GiGi's Global Specialty

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas, October 15, 2007
This review is from: I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book. It has fantastic receipes, photo's and ideas that not only can be used at Christmas but all throughout the year. It is well thought out. It is well illustrated with simplicity that anyone can understand. This is a perfect book for yourself or as a very special gift. I love this book. This is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas, November 13, 2007
K. Salko (Silver Spring, Md United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas (Hardcover)
It's a really great cookbook. Unlike a few of the other ones I own by the same author, this one has a lot of uncomplicated recipes that can be made by the "common person"... It's easy to understand. I know that I will be making MANY of the recipes in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate Lovers' Delight, February 13, 2008
This review is from: I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas (Hardcover)
Review by "Retired Geek's Wife": Having been to the Trellis Restaurant in Williamsburg, VA, I was familiar with Chef Marcel's amazing chocolate concoctions. His other cookbooks are much more complex recipes than I'm interested in making, so I was very excited to discover "I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas" because the recipes are a bit simpler and certainly not just for Christmas. The recipes are extraordinary, but not beyond the time and talent constraints of us mere mortals. If you are wanting to stretch your talents, this is the cookbook to try. The directions and extra help provided in the "Chef Tips" are excellent, providing the details needed to create a memorable dessert for any special occasion. Be warned though, these are still more complex recipes than the norm, so allow enough time, especially for the prep work. When I made the Chocolate Chunk Celebrations, I spent 1 1/2 hours prep before I started actually cooking. Worth every minute...one of the best desserts I've ever had and rave reviews from all that tried them!

4.0 out of 5 stars More Complicated than Advertised, July 15, 2008
S. D. Fischer (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas (Hardcover)
I agree that the book's numerous color photos are beautifully staged. And many of the desserts are seasonless, to be enjoyed throughout the year.

However, the recipes in this book are more complicated than some other reviewers would have you believe, with multiple steps for most of the recipes (not including cookies). And although the book jacket promises that the recipes require only "ordinary equipment and supermarket ingredients," I have to disagree. The dessert pictured on the cover, for example, requires six new pieces of PVC pipes - now, who considers PVC pipes to be ordinary cooking equipment? Not me or my friends who bake (even the one who went to culinary school).

I found many of the tips contained in the Chef's Touch notes (included for each recipe) to be useful. The tips on storage and shipping for the recipes will be helpful as well.

I am not a fan of the author's writing style which was sometimes corny. He tried a little too hard to be funny or be low-key. For instance, in the notes for White Chocolate Kisses, the author writes "Notice the baking time is just 14 minutes, so you should avoid distractions like playing mouth music with your sweetie, and keep a close eye on your cookies as they bake." Who says "mouth music"?

I would have preferred to give the book 3.5 stars. Since that is not an option, I rounded up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, December 13, 2007
This review is from: I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas (Hardcover)
I own a lot of cookbooks and this one was perfect for making things to bring to different family members houses during the holidays! So far every thing I've made and brought has been a winner!

4.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate Lover Must Have, January 29, 2008
This review is from: I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas (Hardcover)
I do a lot of entertaining and this book was great to have for those extra special Christmas deserts. I liked this book because the average cook could make these recipes without spending hours in the kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extravagant., January 1, 2009
This review is from: I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas (Hardcover)
I had requested Death by Chocolate for mothers day and was surprised to also receive I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas. I'm finding I use Chocolate Christmas even more then the requested book.

Many of the recipes are very straight forward. I never have to hunt down an out of the ordinary ingredient. The results are always fantastic. I'm finding I make these when I'm truly trying to impress. The end results are always decedent, and extravagant. Great way to knock peoples socks off.

The recipes also seem to allow for creativity to give it your own flair.

I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Im Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas, January 13, 2008
This review is from: I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas (Hardcover)
I have read this book and have tried 3 recipes already and all of them turned out fantastic. This book is easy to follow, well illustrated with lots of great tips and I would recommend it to anyone interested in baking with Chocolate. 5 Star Rating.

Footnote: Would also recommend Rose Levy Beranbaum "The Cake Bible" also for the enthusiastic baker or dessert lover.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x9e125f00)

I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas
I'm Dreaming of a Chocolate Christmas by Marcel Desaulniers (Hardcover - September 28, 2007)
$29.95 $26.69