Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 23, 2008
After the first chapter (called lessons in this book) I understood what I needed to know to actually use the software. After five lesson, I'm creating web sites and using cascading style sheets. The book has you follow steps and you use the lesson files on the disc that comes with it, but it's more than simply clicking. There is lots of explanation, so you know why you're doing what is instructed, and you can watch videos for each chapter to see someone walk through parts of the lesson. With videos clips, tutorial files, and the book for around $30, it's a good buy, as I felt like a teacher was right there with me. Every time I had a question, it was addressed at just the right time. Good book.
22 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2008
Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom really gets to the heart of the matter
in explaining Dreamweaver to users of many levels, as well as explaining the added benefits of CS4. Because the author is also an instructor, he understands and explains the more challenging material. Author's pace, enclosed DVD, and Self study exercises and Review Questions allowed me to reinforce the lessons, and, in my case, revisit the exercises where I still needed a little work. This book has helped me understand Dreamweaver!
on May 27, 2009
After seeing all the positive reviews for this book, I shortlisted it as one to check out. I am an instructor and find myself spending countless hours reviewing books in an effort to choose one that will become a required text in my classroom.

I was very disappointed to discover that this book focuses on AP(absolutely positioned) Divs (formerly layers) as the main method of laying out a CSS web page. In all my years of research, all I've ever read is that this is absolutely NOT the recommended, most reliable, supported, or "best practices" method of laying out a page. As another user commented, the float/clear method is the most widely used and supported.

AP Divs are incredibly easy to use (which I suspect is why this book is pushing them) but it's misleading to teach this as being a standard method. Since CSS layouts are by far the thing that requires the most explanation in my class, I can't possibly use this book.

Other than that, the book seems great. Such a shame.
66 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2009
As a professional web designer I often have clients who use Dreamweaver as their go-to internal dev tool for basic level site updating and mark-up creation. I will recommend this book to them in the future because it is really a CSS/web standards introduction in disguise (shhh). The heart of the book, chapters 4,5,6 offer one of the best walkthroughs of CSS and HTML fundamentals I've seen, and chapter 6 in particular helps me demonstrate the proper use of tables for data and not layout. Maybe, just maybe......
on January 26, 2009
I am a novice (Beginner) to Adobe Dreamweaver CS4. I bought this book (Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom) along with another book on learning Dreamweaver CS4 called, 'Dreamweaver CS4 For Dummies' which I was totally lost on.

After getting frustrated within the very first chapter with the first book I chose to read (Dreamweaver CS4 For Dummies), I put that one down and decided to read this book - Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom. I immediately knew that this was the book to read to learn how to use Dreamweaver CS4.

Don't waste your money like I did on other books that don't make any sense. This book is AWESOME!!

If you really want to get the most out of Dreamweaver CS4, do yourself a favor and try to learn a little about CSS - Cascading Style Sheets. It will definitely put you in the drivers seat of learning Dreamweaver CS4 with much more sense.
on November 7, 2008
An excellent book that is written in a clear and concise manner! I'm very happy with the content. The lessons do an excellent job of explaining web principles and the concept of CSS which is so important in efficiently managing we sites!
on December 15, 2008
Great step-by-step based booked. Comes with all the files you need, everything is written in a straight-forward, easy to understand style!
on February 14, 2009
The book came promptly using Amazon PRIME. However, the disk was unreadable due to marking from the plastic pouch it was kept in (the disk for Photoshop from the same publisher was perfect, si I assume this was an unusual problem). I called the Wiley number in the book, gave some voice responses and they sent me a replacement disk no charge very promptly. The book and lessons are excellent and helped me get up and running with my web site in only three weeks. I highly recommend this book.
on January 15, 2009
This series of training books provided my team with the up to date training necessary to stay competitive. With quick access to the new features in CS4 we were able to get up to speed quickly and efficiently! I would recommend this series to anyone getting into Adobe's Creative Suite, or professionals that need a brush up of their skills.
on March 28, 2013
Dreamweaver CS4 Digital Classroom, (Book and Video Training) perhaps this is a great book if you're taking a class and using it as the text book. I found it to be a bit much and never did much with it... still use Adobe's GoLive... and now we're up to CS6!