Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dredd [3D Blu-ray/Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UltraViolet]
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on September 25, 2012
First off, let me say that I am biased to this particular comic book character. I've been a fan since the late '80s and have wanted a film adaptation for a long time. I am not saying that I am pre-disposed to like this film. In fact, quite the contrary is true. I'm not only coming at this from the point of view of somebody who wants to see a good movie, but as somebody who will be judging this by its adherence to and respect for its source material.

I've been disappointed before. The Stallone version of the '90s failed this test on both counts. In fact, the only thing that movie got right was a few beautifully rendered hyper dense scenic shots of Mega City one. This film didn't have those shots. In fact, the scenic shots of the city didn't seem that dense at all...yeah there were tall building....but spaced far apart. It seemed almost like a quaint small city trying to be a big one at the edge of a dessert. That is...until we are taken inside the city.

This is one of the real coups the film pulls over on us. A few quick shots of the area around these mega blocks (big...REALLY big...More then twice the size of the Twin Towers big) reveal some familiar (especially if you are a New Yorker) buildings that frankly look like kids toys in comparison. When we are informed that the city has over 800 million people covering a land mass that stretches from Boston to DC, you have to intake air when you realize the true scale of the shots looking at the city from the dessert.

We are quickly given a day in a life type story focusing on two characters who have an importent yet oddly impotent job in the city. To maintain order. And it doesn't take too long until we realize how futile that task is in a city so enormous.

The plot details are somewhere along the lines of a Die Hard film from that point on, but the feelings this setting evokes in us are more akin to District 9. It's an all together beautiful and disturbing combination the filmmakers utilize quite adeptly.

At some point we are inside one of these big blocks, and the Judges (a hybrid cop/judge given powers to dispense instant justice) we are following through their sadly ordinary day had to shoot lots of people and utter caustic lines like "Defense noted" or "you have ten seconds to comply".

Did I mention lots of people get shot? Well... let me put it this way: LOTS of people get shot. And we are not spared one ounce of gore when this happens.

The film never really lets up, rather it moves at a brisk pace as our protagonists go about their job. The titular Judge Dredd is the experienced mentor, putting Judge Anderson through the ropes here. For those of us familiar with the comics, these are the two biggest characters in the world of Mega City one. While Anderson does go through changes, this film gives us a bit of her origins (placing this story actually BEFORE the comics really take place). While she goes from barely competent and wishy washy cadet to the beginnings of the kick ass PSI Judge we all know and love, Dredd himself never breaks a sweat. In fact, you get the sense that this particular day was no better or worse for him then the day before or the day after. His actions in the last scene of the film really hammer this home.

This characterization is what really makes the film work. The sense that this is the norm in this city informes us of the prevailing fatalism that must soak into every citizen. It is a very bleak dystopian view of the future, that sadly looks all too understandable and real. We are never told how the human race came to be in those cities, or why they still exist there. It's only that they ARE there. And it's left up to us to fill in the importance of that.
2222 comments| 507 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2012
DREDD 3D

Excellent movie for the budget. The spirit of Dredd is here in spades. It is not perfect but bloody imaginative.

First the camera work is fantastic. This is really a film to see in 3D. Not because of fancy Hollywood CGI but because of brilliant artistic imagery.

MegaCity looks European in the visuals and vistas but maybe for Americans the vans and cars just look weird. So it works!

Pete Travis' direction is solid and Alex Garland's script is informed and funny. Would loved to have heard Dredd say "Drokk" just once!

Karl Urban is Dredd. He needs to be warmed too but he plays the part very well. Olivia Thirlby is also excellent as Anderson. Lena Headey is very convincing in her Motherly role.

I do hope this becomes a franchise. Dredd is as important as Bond. Show him some respect.

Brilliant!!!!!
1010 comments| 209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2012
It is an utter crime how this movie flopped at the box office. To be honest I had no idea what to expect when I entered the theater to see this movie. Initially i wanted to go see "Looper" but for some reason at the time I was in the mood for something less cerebral, so me and my buddy chose to see Dredd 3D after a class mate told me to check it out and that it was phenomenal. My God, I was completely blown away! I was so blown away that I went to see it again immediately the next day!

You can tell the director of this film really cared about the project. I felt his heart and soul within every composition and frame. Before this film I use to be anti-3D but after I saw this, it completely changed the game for me, yes even more than "avatar" did. This was the first time I felt that the only way to experience this film was in 3d. even though this film failed at the box office, i feel as if i was part of something special because i was one of the few who saw it in 3d at the theaters. All those people who are going to rent it or buy it on DVD/blu ray will be missing half the experience in my opinion. Too bad for you guys!! And if there ever was a movie that would consider me to covert my home theater into 3d, it is this one.

The way the film makers utilized slow motion was the best I have ever seen since the "Matrix", maybe even better. Lately I've hated the way recent films have used slow mo, just for the sake of it (Sherlock Holmes) but Dredd actually uses it to engross the audience further into the story. I loved the way the cinematography switched up during these scenes, making the drug scenes feel surreal and beautiful at the same time. That, accompanied with the amazing score, really made me feel like i was on a wild thrill ride. I haven't had this much fun at the movies in a while. This year has been a great year for movies. i loved "Prometheus", "Dark Knight Rises" and "Avengers" and even "Looper" but Dredd was the most fun and mind blowing of them all, despite it's simple down to earth story line. In fact I think it was the simplicity of the story that made it so great. It didn't try to have Dredd save the damn world. it was literally like watching John McClane in "Die Hard." It was all about survival!!

Karl Urban was great as Dredd. He really knew how to internalize all the angry emotions of the character and I commend his performance especially since we never got to see his eyes. He always retained a calm but ruthless demeanor. Lena Headey was chilling as Ma-Ma, I'm glad to see her still getting work after her underrated and beloved performance as Sarah Connor in the Terminator TV series (if you haven't seen that show, check it out, you won't regret it!). Olivia Thirlby did a decent job playing the rookie/dredd's side kick. At first I thought she was too young for the role but her character contrasted well with Dredd's character. At times I thought the made her appearance too pretty but she carried the role good enough to make me overlook that.

If you like films such as "Die Hard, Robocop, The Crow, or Darkman" YOU HAVE TO CHECK THIS FILM OUT!! It's a true action film masterpiece that put's the Expendables to sleep! This is easily one of the best R rated films to come out in a long time. These days everything is PG-13 just so the studio can sell more tickets and it was like a breathe of fresh air to see all the action and gore done in a way that wasn't gratuitous but servicing to the story and suspenseful atmosphere the film was trying to create for the viewer. I haven't seen violence in an action film done this well since the 80's. Everything about this film is fresh and exciting. The only thing that I can nit pick about was some of the supporting characters (Ma-Ma's henchmen) acting was bit forced but what do you expect from a low budget film? This film is one of the best-low budget films ever made and proof that you don't need hundred's of millions to deliver the goods. i think the reason why people didn't check this out was because folks thought it was a remake of the the Stallone film. My god, how they were wrong! TOO BAD FOR THEM!! Even though in my opinion I feel that a non 3D version of this film won't be as good as the 3D one I'd still recommend it to anyone, whether 3D or 2D. I'm definitely purchasing this when it comes out!
2020 comments| 260 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2014
This has to be one of the most overlooked films of 2012. It's like Robocop mixed with Die Hard and it's incredible. The art style is incredible and the actors do a great job committing to their roles throughout. It is fun, you should watch.
on July 27, 2013
This movie does so much with such a little budget. The creativity really shines with slo-mo and the characters and the violence. Seriously, the violence is beautiful and I've never said that before, you can bet.

On another level it's brilliant because it's an action movie with four distinct and interesting female characters (none of which are a love interest) and that's cool.

In a world with three comic book movies a season this one stands out and deserves attention. And a sequel. And a franchise.

So go watch it.
on November 29, 2012
I didn't see one trailer for this movie in the theater. I didn't see one commercial on tv either. This movie was not advertised at all. The only reason I gave this movie a chance, was because of yahoo user reviews. I cannot wait to own this on blu ray. Plenty of other more detailed reviews here, but know this...I loved the Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers. This movie did not have the budget those movies did, not even close. The story is not as epic as those movies either. But I had more fun watching this movie, than any other movie in 2012. My girlfriend even liked it better than any blockbuster this year too. It is fast paced. The soundtrack (and I rarely even notice the soundtrack of a movie these days) fits this movie and the pace of it perfectly. For an action film, the acting is above what you would expect. I am not a movie critic so I am going to stop here. I just felt compelled to write SOMETHING here because I saw, loved, and will be owning this bluray when it comes out because of word of mouth. I'm throwing a Dredd party the day I get this in the mail. If you like action films and missed this in the theater, do yourself a favor and give it a chance.
44 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2013
I think the subject says it all. If you are into the older just straight up action movies (Commando, Predator, etc.) then this is a movie you'll enjoy. There isn't any overly deep character development. And fortunately it is missing a lot of those really tired current action film trends (Super shaky camera shots, terrible jokes, bad acting). It really is just a fun action movie. Dredd, although I have never really learned anything about the character outside of the first movie and this one, is an interesting character. The story and the environment is really cool if you like the whole run down future kind of thing. It's more believable than the Stallone one, a more gritty nasty future with people living in these overcrowded apartment complex's which is where most of the movie takes place.

What this movie suffered from is abysmal marketing. The company that was hired to market this should be really disappointed in their treatment of this film. They overhyped the 3D, and under advertised the great action and interesting setting.

This movie, sadly, will probably not get a sequel as the it did not make a great amount of money. But do this film justice, buy the Blu-Ray and enjoy some great action, and great special effects.
on November 21, 2012
I had the opportunity to watch this movie in 3D and non-3D before its run in the theaters was over. I watched the 3D version first and I was blown away with the ultra-slow motion and 3D accentuations. The director did a wonderful job of portraying really brutal scenes artistically with the use of the slo-mo and 3D. While it's true the story is similar to another recent release, The Raid, Dredd has enough differences to stand on its own (futuristic wasteland, Judges, sci-fi elements, and no martial arts). While I am a comic book fan, I've never really read any Dredd comics but I'm familiar with his character. Karl Urban does a fantastic job as Dredd and does so without ever removing his helmet. Kudos! This movie is a pure action flick so be prepared for a lot of shotouts and over the top action. It was a shame so few went out to watch this film as it will definitely become a cult classic. After watching the 3D version I decided to watch it again but in 2D for two reasons, 1) I really enjoyed the movie and wanted to see it again and 2) I wanted to support the film financially in hopes that a sequel would be considered/made. So yes, I enjoyed the film enough to rescreen it and I was hoping/wanting a sequel to see where the directors would take these characters. As for the 2D version, I liked it as well. The slo-mo was still breath-taking, but this movie truly needs to be viewed in 3D, period. I will definitely pre-order this combo and I recommend you do the same. :)
on August 22, 2013
Include me in the people who had never seen or read anything about the character Dredd. I watched this based solely on one person's recommendation and I'm glad I did. It is the second film on blu ray I have seen that was a box office disappointment in the past year that turned out to be a great film. Oblivion is the other and I love that film, too.

Dredd is mostly wall to wall action and violence. It is VERY violent so that was a shock to me. I expected a superhero film with violence such as in The Avengers. Yes, I missed the part where this is rated R. But is it that much more violent than an episode of The Walking Dead? If it is, it's not by much. But just be prepared when you watch this film. It's not for kids.

Urban is fantastic in the lead. We never see his face. We see his jaw and that's it as he works his way through the film and the mega city. He is a driven man and though we learn little about him personally (there are brief hints) it is his actions that speak loud and clear. He talks sparingly but when he does it's memorable and never campy.

This is as pure as an action film gets. I think it is the best I have seen in a long time. It's right up there with Die Hard and destined to be a classic in the genre.
on February 21, 2013
This movie is a pure ultra-violent action movie which eschews many of the cliches of the genre. We don't have to sit through a boring origin story about Dredd where young Dredd is running around. We don't have to sit through an awful love story between him and Anderson. He's not an irritating one-liner quip machine. He doesn't play jokes on or give the rookie a hard time; he's tough but fair to her. He doesn't have time or patience for the sob stories of the perps he sentences to die. Ma-Ma is an ex-prostitute junkie sliced up by her pimp and forced to sell drugs because of a life of poverty. Dredd. Does. Not. Care. His job is to uphold the law. That's actually refreshing. This movie is basically about a day on the job with Judge Dredd in a dystopian overcrowded future city as he methodically carries out his duties. Dredd and rookie Anderson are trapped in a housing project after investigating a triple homicide.Every gang member in the building is ordered to kill them. It is a simple premise but you learn about Dredd's character by watching him do his job. I wished this film had done better in theaters because a sequel is unlikely. You owe it to yourself to buy this if you are a fan of action movies or comic book movies.