5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL!!!! cutting tool
There are others who say that this bit doesn't work... the only thing I can think is that they do not understand how to use it. I have used these bits to cut through lanolium, wood, sheetrock and metal with no problems.

Published on July 6, 2006 by John Carkeet

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK
Only did an OK job for the cutting projects Ive used it on so far, and very very very difficult to control in a reasonable line. I use my dremel all the time, so I am at least not a newbie at it. But I was really excited about this bit, so much so that I bought 3, and have been disappointed. It doesnt cut great and has a tendency to wander all over the place. Terrible...
Published 6 months ago by Gizmo

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL!!!! cutting tool, July 6, 2006
This review is from: Dremel 561 Multipurpose Cutting Bit (Tools & Home Improvement)

1) IT IS NOT A PLUNGE BIT!! There is no sharp, or split tip with which to bore into an object. Instead the bit has to be leaned into the item to be cut until it is perpendicular to the surface, or started from an edge.

2) After you understand how to start a cut you must remember that SPEED is of the ESSENCE - the faster the bit is spinning the better it will cut.

3) The last thing to remember to use this bit successfully is to let the tool do the work. Light, slow, controlling pressure is the best way to make a successful cut, and the harder the material being cut, the slower one will want to advance.

I love these bits and always keep a couple of them in my case with my rotary tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bits BUT...., June 23, 2010
Making this quick, I have to say that I absolutely LOVE these bits, and they are one of my all time favorite and most used rotary tool bits. Ditto to all that was said about knowing how to work them. These have a bad habit of snapping when you apply too much force in the wrong direction, and they are more prone to break when they get hot. Make sure you've got those safety glasses on for these buggers because if the piece of bit doesn't go flying, your work piece is going to throw "snow" like crazy as the bit does its work... It's like a blizzard in miniature, haha, which is half the fun IMHO. At the right speed and with the right handling, these things are BRUTAL... They require a strong and sure grip because they can take off on ya, and they can cut REALLY fast depending on the material. I've cut plastic, wood and metal in even large thicknesses (over 3/4 inch!!) with them and had ok to fantastic luck. They are a must for anyone with a seriously abused Dremel or other similar rotary tool.

One word of advice... Shop around. I once found a three pack of these type bits at a Wal Mart, years ago, and decided to get them on a whim because I got the three for a GREAT price, much cheaper per unit than the Dremel brand. I am now kicking myself for not remembering what brand they were, because they were actually tougher (less break prone) than the Dremel brand and cut fantastically well - in fact I still have one and don't have any of the Dremel brand anymore. Moral is, any time you have a drill or rotary tool bit that likes to break on you, think bulk, and note down the brand in case you find a winner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product (but buy an extra one or two), March 27, 2007
These things work great. Make sure you have the plastic guide cage designed to work with this bit and the Dremel.

They do break if you torque on them. Buy an extra one to make sure you can complete the project in case of bad luck.

FYI- My local stores are always sold out of these "bit only" sets (they require you to buy a bigger set that comes with the plastic guide cage).

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, September 16, 2013
I bought this to cut acrylic which has a tendency to melt. This bit ran right through 36" of .220 acrylic and did it fast enough to not melt any of it. Worked great for my application.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Handy, December 14, 2011
Great little bit for many jobs. Purchased to cut some circular holes in 3/4" oak plywood. The bit did a great job, patience is key, be sure to let the bit and Dremel do the cutting. Don't force the bit, maintain high rpms, or you will be taking stock in these little guys as they can break easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect on sheet rock!, January 23, 2011
I just used this cutting bit to cut an outlet receptacle hole in sheetrock. The cutting process was fast--fast enough that a little mistake could go a long way. The bit does have a tendency to "walk," so to make the cut more precise, I had a helper hold a steel straight edge on the outside of the cut to make sure the bit wouldn't go out of bounds. The result was a precise, completely professional-looking cut, and the outlet box fit perfectly.

One thing: this Dremel part is EXACTLY the same as related company RotoZip Sabercut ZipBits. The Sabrecut bits come in multiple packets. The "SC4" SabreCut four pack can be found for around $8, or $2 per bit, so while the overall cost would be more than buying the single Dremel brand bit, "for a few dollars more," some backup bits can be bought.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cuts quick and true, but leaves scorch marks on wood., July 10, 2014
TheJBJ (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Works as needed. My only concern is that it tends to burn the wood as it cuts. I primarily use these to cut 6' circles in 3/4' plywood. I always have to sand the inside of the cut afterward, but they do cut consistently (even if they do burn the wood a little). I can typically use one of these blades for about 4-6 holes before I need to replace them. That works out pretty well for the cost as far as I'm concerned. If you were using these on drywall I would imagine that you could make 100 cuts before replacing them.

5.0 out of 5 stars This does a good job cutting clay pots, July 11, 2014
All Dremel tools are handy to have. This does a good job cutting clay pots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 8, 2014
bought a couple of these...they really come in handy...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit., July 2, 2014
Awesome functionality, I bought one used to increase the diameter of a hole in a 2x4 that had an ABS vent pipe going through it and I bought another right away because it works very well and I definitely always want to have one on hand now. Oh and I am still using the first one I bought as its still works.

Dremel 561 Multipurpose Cutting Bit