Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Drift X170 Action Camera" and save 49% off the $199.00 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Drift X170 Action Camera
- RF Wireless Remote Control
- 1.5" Color LCD Screen
- 170 degree Wide Angle Lens
- Multi Sport Mounting
- Hands Free Video and Photo
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Special Offers and Product Promotions
|Item Dimensions||8.75 x 2.5 x 9.75 inches|
|Item Weight||0.28 pounds|
|Shipping Weight||1.2 pounds|
|Video Capture Resolution||1080p_hd|
From the Manufacturer
The Drift X170 offers a whopping 170 degree field of view. The ingenious thing about a 170 degree field of view is that the camera captures your peripheral vision, giving a realistic perspective of speed.
When it comes to features, value, and high quality resolution, the Drift X170 is impossible to beat!
Read about our customers' top-rated camcorders on our review page: Camcorders
Top Customer Reviews
|Length: 3:41 Mins|
As I point out in the video, the build quality of this camera is great: the battery & media door clips shut solidly, and the rotating lens feels very firm, and doesn't budge after you set it where you want it. Also the clip that holds the camera into the various mounts works well, and is easy to remove when needed.
The car scene in the video was helped out with a third party suction cup mount, which went onto the X170 no problem (Delkin Devices DDMOUNT-MINI.) All the other times I've shot with the X170, the included mounting options were excellent, and held fast wherever they were mounted.
The battery life is great as well, with two AA's lasting through several hours of video. With a 16 Gb card and just two AA's you can shoot nonstop for around 3.5 hours.
The best point for me to make about this camera is the price. Any other wearable, mountable action camera would cost $300+ but for under $200 you can shoot some really fun videos, with almost no learning curve.
If I had to be critical, I would point out that it doesn't shoot 720p. It does 480p (30fps) and with such a wide angle lens (170 degrees, of course) you aren't really filming the details of a scene anyway.
Ultimately, it's a great value, requires almost no accessories, and is tons of fun.
1. The camera is so light it almost feels like a piece of styrofoam.
2. The built-in LCD display allows playback anytime without a computer and helps line up shots properly.
3. Loads of mounting options let you securely attach the camera to a helmet, seat post, handlebars, or almost anywhere else.
4. Runs on inexpensive AA batteries rather than special battery packs that are expensive to replace. I get 4 hours of continuous recording from two AA Energizer Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries in warm weather.
5. Wireless remote control lets you start and stop shooting without fumbling for buttons when the camera is on top of your helmet.
6. I pedaled a bicycle for miles through a rainstorm with this camera on top of my helmet and it kept right on working.
7. The camera has a huge field of view (170 degrees wide) so it captures peripheral vision too.
1. The picture quality is good for action but not detail. I shot a video in AVI format on a sunny day less than 10 feet away from the back bumper of a stopped car. The resolution is too low to discern the license plate number, even after using the sharpening filter in GIMP on a still frame from the video.
2. I use the camera ten times per week to record a bicycle commute of 20-40 minutes. I find 1 or 2 times in every 20 shoots the camera randomly stops and restarts itself at least once during an attempted continuous shoot. Thus a 20-minute video shoot might actually come out as two files with 10 minutes of video in each, minus several seconds of time in between. I have yet to miss out on anything important but the problem reduces my confidence in the camera getting every shot.
3. The sound input has limitations when the camera is moving.Read more ›
First, the good. It's shape is perfect for mounting on a helmet as it is more streamlined than the GoPro, and thus less likely to wobble around due to hitting tree branches or from wind resistance. The battery life is phenomenal; I have been using Energizer Lithums and have gotten 8-10 hours of constant recording out of it before I needed to change the batteries. The screen on the camera is great for reviewing what you recorded and the menu interface is simple yet effective. For the price, the video quality is great though if you want to watch your videos on a large screen, definitely upgrade to the HD model as the X170 does pixilate on screens bigger than about 10 inches. Having 3 different mounting options is great but I wish the system was more secure; its not that the camera will fall out of the base, but that the base could fall off the mounting surface (e.g. helmet). I basically had to use industrial strength velcro reinforced with duct tape to keep the camera from falling off any of my helmets (motorcycle, mountain bike, snowboard). When mounted to my handlebars, the shake was too intense to view the recording, thus I have no option but to mount it to my helmet. The final positive is the remote control; this is an awesome feature that makes it so much easier to use when engaged in non-stop activity.
Now the negatives. I have noticed that in cold weather (below 40 degrees) the Drift X170 will randomly shut itself off after about 30-45 minutes and will not turn back on. This makes it nearly impossible to record snow-based activities for a long period of time.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Poor image quality, poor battery life.
Lighting compensation is terrible, always shifting through what seems to be 5 steps of gain. Very annoying. Read more
this was way to big for the appilcation that i wanted to use it for so it got sent backPublished on November 30, 2013 by W. Pollard
Amazing HD quality and very good microphone!!! Make you relive the moments just the way they happened!!! I would definitely recommend this product to anyone I know!!!Published on August 15, 2012 by Srivatsan Sridhar
For an action cam, this is one of the only available models with a viewing screen which was very important for me. Read morePublished on September 21, 2011 by Sebastin Garrett
The camera takes fine video, better than what I expected. It is very clear. However, the battery compartment is moderately difficult to difficult in opening and closing. Read morePublished on September 9, 2011 by jambo
This is a great camera, I use it for making mountain bike and ski movies and film from a variety of angles including on my helmets and various places on my bike such as handle... Read morePublished on August 23, 2011 by Mark Beech
I just bought this camera and have only used it once. That was the last time I used it. I took it kayaking with me and it got dunked only once for a couple seconds. Read morePublished on July 3, 2011 by Sidesjeremy
I bought this for motorcycles. Absolutely loves the wide angle lens. RF remote too.
I wasn't expecting any miracle for the sound however. Wind noise ruins everything. Read more