Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on September 28, 2009
If you drink, ever wonder why? How did humans figure out how to create alcohol? Why don't people enjoy drinking grape juice as much as wine? How did it become a social thing? All these questions, and many more, are pondered and answered in this informative and interesting book. A good sociological examination as to why people drink, how they drink, why they drink what they do and why it's been viewed favorably by some cultures in history and unfavorably by others. As someone who is always fascinated by learning how humans tick and how we've changed through history - I found this book both relaxing (a good non controversial read) and thought provoking.
33 comments11 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2010
This book was very well written, and was a real pleasure to read. I like books like this that intertwine facts with historical anecdotes. I would recommend this to anyone interested in the cultural history of alcohol.

This book is quite long, but I never wanted to put it down. I think Iain Gately's writing style helps keep the book moving.
on June 22, 2012
This book will create a new appreciation of alcohol in the reader. It is a wonderful history and cultural reference. Looking at the importance of alcohol throughout history makes one realize how intertwined drinking was to peoples' lives, as well as how drinking influenced historical events. It has an integral place in many cultures and commemorates special occasions and brings people together. I will keep this book and read it again, and I highly recommend it.
on November 30, 2009
This is a well researched and engaging book. I carried it around with me while i was reading it, and had many conversations with people who noticed it.
I would have liked more about microbreweries, but thats another book in itself i suppose.
on March 5, 2014
I chose this book because I am not only in the healthcare business,but alcohol is such a large part of American life,but has become such a problem in the higher learning institutions,of this country.This book is human,and informative,and I would advise anyone to read this book.
on September 10, 2015
Excellent book, so many info. I'm still reading it. But i face only one problem while reading this. English is not my first language, so I have to go to my dictionary everytime. So many different words. But I think It's my personal problem. Overall rate is 5 out of 5.
on December 28, 2015
hugely historical and academic, looking for a more light hearted overview
on December 5, 2014
Best history book ever written!
on November 20, 2015
Good book.
on March 16, 2013
It's a wonderful book.
There is nothing especial about it that is not already as advertised, it provides everything I expected based on what was told to me about it.

A wonderful book if you are interested in alcohol beyond enjoying it as a drink. Some of the bountiful knowledge in there can also be a good conversation maker in bars and such.