4.0 out of 5 stars the givens in mumblecore
Published 13 months ago by drollere

1.0 out of 5 stars Unique
If you want a romantic comedy with closure at the end this is not the movie for you. I read the rating ahead of time and thought people were lying when they said it had a bad ending but they were in fact telling the truth. I would recommend saving your time and not seeing this.
Published 7 months ago by Matthew

4.0 out of 5 stars the givens in mumblecore, August 23, 2013
drollere (Sebastopol, CA United States) - See all my reviews
there are givens in movies: the big star never dies, action heroes shoot guns, femme fatales have long hair, there must be a scene in a toilet or bathroom, and you can't show a baby crying for more than 15 seconds. this is a mumblecore movie about four twentysomething people (two couples) so the givens are: they're confused about relationships, friendship matters as much or more than love, they can't complete a sentence without a slaw of particles ("uh", "um", "well", "really", "like", "so", etc.), and they're not full grown adults. they still have the egg tooth they used to hatch out of adolescence. they wear caps to bed, ride bikes to work, stay in other people's houses on the weekend and need friends to move to a new apartment. they flirt around without acknowledging they flirt around. they are good people partly because they don't know how to be bad people. there isn't any real drama, because drugs and guns are not involved and they fight by saying things like "you need to get real with this moment."

so, do you want to watch this movie or not? personally, and i'm medicare age, this took me back to my bartending days in the 70's and how messed up and confused sex and friendship really were. i thought the film was insightful and empathic, mixed humor and honesty, and brought four clever actors together, clever especially in their deadpan comic timing. the story shows you decent ordinary young people struggling with basic adult stuff, which is like watching eight year olds play scrabble. you smile, you want to help them out, but you can't. it's their game, and they have to work it all out for themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars the smartest movie so far this year, August 28, 2013
My husband and I watched Drinking Buddies via Amazon stream last night and are still talking about it this morning. First, it is not the "hilarious comedy" noted in the description. In fact, whoever inserted those two words in the summary had either not seen the movie or thought tacking on "hilarious comedy" would boost sales. Reading some of the comments below indicates there are several people who were looking for hilarious comedy, didn't find it, and now dismiss the entire film. This is really too bad because Drinking Buddies is brilliant.

The story begins with two couples who appear woefully ill-suited to each other. Jake Johnson and Anna Kendrick? Really? The viewer cringes. Olivia Wilde and Ron Livingston . . boring. And then the 90 minutes unspool and the characters reveal themselves. By the end we know and understand more about these people, and perhaps ourselves, than we ever thought we would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, honest movie, August 22, 2013
Spencer Crooks (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This movie is very honest in its portrayal of friendship, love and heartache. The characters are relatable and lovable. It can be predictable at times, but maybe that's because we've been through this personally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, August 18, 2013
This movie was everything I expected it to be! Casting was perfect, plot was very interesting, and the whole feel of the movie was just overall awesome! Kudos to all involved, job well done!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A down to earth movie that connects with the viewer. I LOVED IT!, December 6, 2013
I thought this movie was GREAT! In an age where movies aren't at all believable, this movie makes you feel real feelings that you feel in real life. The characters were so authentic and relatable. Those who say this movie is boring have a cold soul.

4.0 out of 5 stars loved it, September 10, 2013
It was a great, indie flick, with a somewhat disappointing ending. But the film was well worth watching and the ending was not bad enough to not like the rest of it. Explores the complications of relationships and friendships, heart-break, and "settling." I felt the way it ended was MOSTLY right but that Olivia's character had a really uncharacteristic scene toward the end. Both Olivia and Anna were stunning and perfect. Impeccably acted!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best movies I've seen recently!, September 1, 2013
This movie is extremely realistic! I don't want to give anything away but the relationships in this movie function just like ones that I've had in real life.

This is not your typical, predictable romantic comedy but rather an almost documentary style film that shows the various intricacies of human relationships. It covers a broad spectrum that includes working, friends, and romantic relationships and how they all can coexist. There are many underlying themes here that anybody who's been in the single or "wish I was single again" world will easily relate to.

Don't let the title mislead you at all. The movie has the backdrop of a few characters who work at a brewery together, but it could be any workplace. This movie could have just been called "Good Friends" or something, but "Drink Buddies" is a much better title and plays to the setting.

I've seen a lot of negative reviews of this film. Don't believe them! If you are looking for something REAL without the super predictable outcomes of every other movie out there then watch Drinking Buddies ASAP! I hope you'll be as drawn into the characters as I was!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unique, February 11, 2014
Matthew (Brighton, MA, United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Good times, worth the bucks, August 11, 2013
The movie had a good pace, good variety of scenery and most of all an enveloping love story revolving around a brewery. No one stole the show, an the movie just left me wanting more, without it being incomplete or sterile. IF it were 3 hours, I'd enjoy them all. (After a few sessions, try not drinking a beer or two after all the foam crested brews changing hands)

2.0 out of 5 stars Drinking Buddies A Waste of Time, April 25, 2014
This review is from: Drinking Buddies (DVD)
I am a sucker for taking a chance on movies that no one else wants to watch because the movies weren’t in theatres or talked about in mainstream media. However, the bitter brew of a movie that was Drinking Buddies has made me second-guess my movie choices. This film got my attention when I noticed the cast: Jake Johnson (New Girl), Olivia Wilde (House), and Anna Kendrick (Pitch Perfect). I have enjoyed seeing each actor in other films, but this one was certainly not their best work.
Drinking buddies portrays a glimpse into the lives of two friends working at a local brewery in Chicago, Kate (Olivia Wilde) and Luke (Jake Johnson), who appear to have a thing for each other but are both dating other people. You would think that such a set up from the beginning would foreshadow a future relationship between the two, but it doesn’t. In fact, there is zero payoff for the audience in this movie.
There were two significant parts of this movie that I will discuss here. The first is early on in the movie when Kate and her boyfriend Chris (Ron Livingston) invite Luke and his girlfriend Jill (Anna Kendrick) on a weekend trip to a lake house. When Jake and Kate don’t want to tag along on a hike and a picnic, Chris and Jill find themselves alone in the woods together kissing. Following the trip, Chris breaks up with Kate, and Jill keeps the kiss to herself.
The second significant part is when Kate moves into a new apartment and Luke offers to help. The two are, of course, flirting the entire time, but nothing happens between them. Kate ends up going out with another guy from work after her big move, leaving Luke with a gory-looking hand after his hand catches onto something while moving her couch. I watched intently during this part thinking, “Okay, here it is: the climax of the film. This is where the two admit their love for one another.” Instead, the friends get into an argument and Luke home to his girlfriend Jill. Jill finally tells him about kissing Chris in the woods and he accepts it, perhaps because he knows he has done his fair share of flirting with Kate.
In the end, Kate and Luke renew their working friendship at the brewery. At the end of the day, we’re back to the status quo we began with. And did I mention that they drink in this movie? It would have been more interesting if they had discussed beer more, but instead, as brewery employees, they just show off their access to unlimited amounts of booze by getting drunk in just about every scene.
I would not recommend this movie to anyone. I was surprised that the genre of this movie was comedy, because I don’t think that I laughed once, but I can’t think of any genre that it would be appropriate under. However, it is important to note that this movie was done completely improv. So I still have some faith in these actors, but I’m hung-over with disappointment from what I just watched.

Drinking Buddies [Blu-ray]
Drinking Buddies [Blu-ray] by Joe Swanberg (Blu-ray - 2013)
$29.98 $22.20