4.0 out of 5 stars ENJOYED IT, BUT.......
Published on April 10, 2005 by Dana Y. Bowles

3.0 out of 5 stars EJD has changed...
Published on October 26, 2005 by A. Jackson

4.0 out of 5 stars ENJOYED IT, BUT......., April 10, 2005
This review is from: Drive Me Crazy (Hardcover)
Just a little curious about the sudden turn the author's work has taken. At the center of this rather intriguing tale is Driver--ex-con, limo driver, chocolate bald hottie who has a serious love for women and a knack for finding trouble. At an especially vulnerable time in his life, the married woman that he is servicing gives him a down payment of 15K for offing her husband. But Driver isn't as hard as his past and his persona leads one to believe; he meets the husband, forms a bond, and begins working for him instead. Wifey is furious, and the story is off and running. She wants to continue their relationship...and when he refuses, she demands her money back. And of course he cannot oblige, and the clock begins ticking. Not your typical ignored rich wife, Lisa is also an ex-LAPD officer with lots of connections--legit and otherwise. She enlists the help of both to make Driver's life--and the lives of those who are close to him---a living hell. Lisa is out for blood, and won't stop until she gets it...and not everyone will survive.

Taking the reader deep into the underbelly of LA, EJD weaves a tale of hustlers, ex-cons, strippers, and major scam artists. Peppered with beautiful women, hot sex, and double-crosses, this is a tale that his fans will find fascinating.

DYB

4.0 out of 5 stars Some fans may feel conned, but, July 13, 2005
This review is from: Drive Me Crazy (Hardcover)
While defining and categorizing the various genres permeating our reading sensibilities is endemic in our society, Eric Jerome Dickey has once again defied the mold which initially made him an anomaly. The effervescent question, "How do you write with a woman's voice?" can finally be laid to rest, at least as it relates to his tenth novel, "Drive Me Crazy".

"Drive Me Crazy" is a potpourri of romance, struggle, dysfunction, debacles, treachery and sizzling adventure with several twists and turns. Once Driver is released from prison, he gets entangled in a black widow's web of lust and lies. Lisa Wolf is another man's wife, Driver's boss' own combination of Delilah and Jezebel. While Driver struggles to extricate himself from her insanity, he is hustled by yet another African-American beauty. Arizona struts into Driver's space and uproots his rehabilitation. Dickey fans will recognize her as the femme fatale from "Thieves' Paradise".

Between the pages in this latest work, Reverend Daddy had taught his boys to be men. He told them, "Hate unites people. It's almost like we need somebody to hate in order to pull together." Driver and his gay brother Rufus straddled that thin line between love and hate. Such is also the formula for the fate of the pompous author as contrived by his more talented and wealthy fiancé. Introduce a pickpocket (another transplant from "Thieves' Paradise") and a stripper/hustler who wants Driver as her man and you have ample angles to validate the title, "Drive Me Crazy".

Naturally, we infer and anticipate plots based on our experiences with an author's prior works. Mr. Dickey proved much to my delight that the recently bestowed title of "Chick lit king" has not rendered him impotent to showcase his talent beyond talking in a woman's voice. Although "Drive Me Crazy" serves as his second venture of this type versus a sequel to "Thieves' Paradise", he has successfully asserted his versatility.

This is a must read which I rate 4 ˝ stars.

Robin R. Pendleton, Author

"More Than You'll Ever Know"

4.0 out of 5 stars Kudos to EJD!, April 11, 2005
This review is from: Drive Me Crazy (Hardcover)
As an avid reader I must admit that I have become a little bored with the "cookie-cutter" novels that a lot of authors have been putting out lately. It seems like if you have read one you have read them all.

EJD, however, has stepped outside of this comfort zone and done a wonderful job of breaking the mold in his last few books. Drive Me Crazy takes a week in the like of Driver, and ex-con whose past affair with Lisa, a former LAPD officer, comes back to haunt him.

Driver's tale includes some really interesting characters including his gay brother Rufus, Panther the stripper that wins his heart and Arizona, the soon to be Queen of the Cons.

This book is a little lengthy and drawn out but picks up in the end and you find yourself rooting for Driver's escape. If you are looking for a good read that isn't a ho-hum love story, I definitely recommend this one.

Kp

Sister-2-Sister Book Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Change is good, September 1, 2005
This review is from: Drive Me Crazy (Hardcover)
This novel signifies a change in EJD. He isn't sticking strictly to a female character or bouncing back and forth from character to character as he tells this tale of love, lies, and lust (as he has done in many of his previous novels that we all know and love). He has instead taken the time to develope a central male character. And not just any male, but a crossword filling, dictionary reading, limo driving, chocolate covered (threw that one in for the ladies, lol) ex-convict who has dealt with everything from being a preacher's kid to growing up in south central to enduring the memory of a failed marriage to accepting a gay sibling. You will definetly fall in love with Driver and the other characters. I am quite certain that you will enjoy EJD's new writing style.

A good read even if you've never read an EJD book before.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best he's written, August 8, 2004
soulonice (Arlington, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drive Me Crazy (Hardcover)
Before this, I thought the Other Woman was his best book. After reading this, I had to change my mind. This guy continues to take chances and step up his writing in ways other authors only wish they could. He tells this story through the eyes of Driver, an ex-con who is looking to move on with his life, but it is not that easy. He also has a top-notch supporting cast which helps bring this book to life. Dickey has given us plenty of stories which have brought out a variety of emotions and have been extremely thought-provoking, and this one is no different. Trust when I say you will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars EJD has changed..., October 26, 2005
This review is from: Drive Me Crazy (Hardcover)
And I'm not so sure how I feel about it. I first read and fell deaply in love with EJD about 6 months ago and since I've read all his books (except for Genevieve which I'm reading now) and I have to say this one and the two before it have not reached the level that I have come to expect of him. I fell in love with EJD because of the depth of his characters, his skill in writing female voices, how relatable his plots are, his shocking twists and his ability to keep me up all night reading. These last books have not been doing it for me. In Drive Me Crazy there were too many twists, too many unrealistic situations and it read really slow. If any other author would have written this book I would say it was good but for EJD to have written it I can only say that it was alright. Good for someone who has never read EJD, but as someone who has read all his work I'm not impressed and I know that he can do better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, August 7, 2004
Ratmammy "The Ratmammy" (Ratmammy's Town, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
DRIVE ME CRAZY by Eric Jerome Dickey

This is my third book by Eric Jerome Dickey, and as with the others, I loved this one! What makes DRIVE ME CRAZY different from the other two I read (CHEATERS and MILK IN MY COFFEE) is that the focus is not on relationships. DRIVE ME CRAZY is the story of an ex-con that hooks up with the wrong woman, and finds himself in a very dangerous situation.

"Driver", as he's called, has an affair with his future boss's wife, and she asks him to murder her husband for him and pay him for it. Driver needs the money so he agrees to it, but chickens out when he actually meets the husband face to face. Wolf, the husband, ends up hiring Driver to work for him at his limousine company, which solves Driver's unemployment problem, but makes matters worse between he and Lisa, the wife. Driver refuses to kill the husband, since now they have a working relationship, but Lisa continues to badger Driver, threatening him and his friends and family.

In the meantime, Driver gets involved with another woman, Arizona, who he finds out is a con-artist, and he uses her to get back at Lisa, who is now making his life a living hell, trying to get her money back. Another woman becomes involved, Panther, who Driver finds himself getting involved with emotionally. She's worried for him, knowing what is going on in his life, and is afraid he's going to wind up dead.

A lot of great characters in DRIVE ME CRAZY that help make the book fun. Dickey is good with creating characters that stand out and help make the story line move. This book was one of those that I couldn't put down, and I always look forward to a new one by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Dizzy!, November 17, 2004
This review is from: Drive Me Crazy (Hardcover)
I know this is isn't a line that you hear often, but believe it or not, this was my first Eric Jerome Dickey book. Of course, I'd heard of him. Who hasn't? But I've just never been driven to read his novels. I found Drive Me Crazy to be so full of drama (some believable and some not) that I was just about dizzy when I finished it. This book was a lot steamier than what I'm accustomed to reading, but it was entertaining enough to keep me flipping the pages. I'm sure I'll go back now and read some of EJD's other stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good things come to those who wait!, December 8, 2004
This review is from: Drive Me Crazy (Hardcover)
This book starts out slow, but not slow enough for me to put it down because being the true EJD fan that I am, I knew it would pick up and I wouldn't be disappointed. EJD paints a picture so well, that I can visualize the characters and their surroundings. I must admit this wasn't one of his best books, however, there's something about it that keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering what's going to happen next. In true EJD fashion, he brought back characters from previous novels and shed a different light on them.

If you're looking for a story full of crazy drama, suspense, redemption, and finally peace...this is the book for you!

2.0 out of 5 stars Drove Me Crazy, April 1, 2005
This review is from: Drive Me Crazy (Hardcover)
What. Is. With. The. One. Word. Sentences. Yes, I know it's done to create impact and drama, but towards the end, this was overused and annoying. As it was, it took nearly half the book to even have a sense of caring for any of the characters, but I definitely didn't need EJD's constant reminder of the 'drama' unfolding through his one-word sentence technique. Finally, as the story started to truly hit some high points, it abruptly came to an end. And yes I also get the reasoning for its sudden end, yet I still expect more from EJD, not just his commitment to the genre he's writing about. Maybe I'm just more inclined to his earlier books, I didn't like Thieves' Paradise either.

Drive Me Crazy
Drive Me Crazy by Eric Jerome Dickey (Hardcover - July 2004)
Used & New from: $0.01