5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, good product
Incredibly easy to set up. Everything comes in a single box which isn't heavy at all.

Works well.

Whatever you do, choose a mattress with "low air loss" -- do not buy a mattress that ONLY offers alternating pressure!
Published on October 28, 2011 by Alan Kaye

2.0 out of 5 stars not for electric bed users or taller people
Published 7 months ago by cindy w

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, good product, October 28, 2011
Alan Kaye (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drive Medical Med Aire Low Air Loss Mattress Replacement System with Alternating Pressure, Dark Purple, 8" (Health and Beauty)

Works well.

There is good evidence from studies that "low air loss" mattresses help prevent and heal bed sores, but no good evidence for alternating pressure.
This one has both. you can disable the alternating pressure if you like)

The low air loss on this mattress is CONTINUOUS, which is a good thing!

Some other mattresses (such as several from invacare) have low air loss that is only "on demand" -- you have to push a button which then only activates it for perhaps 20 minutes. I believe continuous low air loss is sure to work more effectively.

The noise is perhaps twice as loud as a big aquarium pump. I found I could eliminate much of the noise if I paid careful attention to the hose connector where it plugs into the pump, a slight gap will makes a loud hissing noise. Press it in well, or tie it if you have to, and no problem. There also are some vibrations generated that propagate through the bed frame, but aren't felt by the patient unless they lean on a rail.
If you had absolutely no other noise generating devices you still might be annoyed by it, but I'm managing to sleep fine in the same room.

What is low air loss? There are zillions of tiny holes on the mattress constantly emitting small amounts of air, which prevents and heals bed sores by keeping skin cool and dry.

In order for a low air loss mattress to effectively prevent bed sores, you need to minimize the amount of material between the patient and mattress!
That means ideally a thin cotton sheet only, or even no sheet and only underpad if there is an existing sore. I'm also using a thin disposable bed pad, and looking to buy a variety specially designed to breathe well for this purpose. Update: Am using kendall "maxiflo", specially designed for low air loss matresses -- good results.

In the event of a power outage, the mattress would eventually deflate creating an uncomfortable and unsafe surface, so that's something to think about.
It'd probably be ok for a bit, but I have a foam mattress I can swap in if we get stuck with a long outage. Haven't been through it yet.
Update: I bought a yamaha 2000 backup generator converted to run on propane, enough to keep refrigerator going too.

Other recommendations for bed sore prevention: Baza Perineal Lotion after regular changes (moisture barrier). Sage "prevalon" heel protector (heel & tailbone are 2 most common bed sores)
For bed sore treatment: xenaderm ointment (prescription only). Keep pressure off, regular turns every 2 hours, cool & dry.
Low air loss is no substitute for regular turns but does really help

5.0 out of 5 stars Low Air Loss Mattress Rep Sys w/Alternating Pressure, September 12, 2011
So far so good. Ordered this in early-August and have been very pleased with product to date. My brother (diagnosed with M/S) was recently released from hospital and was sent home with a gel pad which was absolutely miserable to lay on for an extended period or time. Sleeping was very uncomfortable and each morning he woke up with sore limbs & burning itchy buttocks. I was so nervous he would end up with a bed sore and started researching Low Air Loss Mattresses which I knew would help maintain skin integrity. Well, we're approx. 45 days into it and he's doing very well and loving his new air mattress. This particular mattress does everything it claims (so far that is). Setting go from soft to firm. Only one drawback: noise level of the pump...after placing a pillow between pump and footboard, however; pump noise was substantially reduced. Set-up was simple and I am not set-up savvy with anything. The best part was the cost. Researched several websites & Amazon was the least expensive (saving over $900 from one competitor for identical product) - so that was a real bargain! (BLESS YOU, AMAZON)! For anyone looking at this mattress or similar items, give it a try. My brother's insurance did not cover this item, that's why price was so important. But again, Amazon was the absolute best price I found and he is thrilled with his new bed thus far. In other words...if he he sleeps well, my hubby & I sleep well and for the past several weeks, me & my husband have been sleeping like babies! lol So, YES, we love this mattress , too! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best gift!. Cannot believe it!, June 5, 2012
Lea "oldgirl" (dana point, ca United States) - See all my reviews
Last year I broke my leg and had to have surgery. The hospital bed I had was pure misery! So when I had to have one at home I got one like this from my insurance company. Since I have type 1 diabetes, and am prone to bedsores. I loved it so much,I purchased this one for Valentines Day for my husband. We got rid of our king mattress and put these two together on the king bed platform. It works great like that and we are getting the best nights sleep. We both have back issues and this helps. However, I believe it really is more of a queen sized bed together.

Update: it is one year later and we still love the beds. However, my husband now finds himself on a flat bed come morning! We are now trying to find out how to get a replacement through the year warranty. Keep your fingers crossed!
Here is my update: we called and emailed Amazom about our problem. The next day they sent a new mattress for my husband! They picked up the problem one and within four days he had a new Drive Low air loss mattress! Such service! Outstanding! Cannot thank you enough! This one is quieter and my husband is so happy.
If you are on the fence, don't worry? Amazom stands behind their products!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what was needed, July 15, 2012
My mother in law needed something for her bed sores, so this product was suggested by the local medical supply company. At the time they said it would all be covered by insurance. A month later, we came to find it was not. We tried discussing the need with the insurance company, but alas it did not help. The local medical supply company gave us a bill for $1600, a fee that seemed extremely high, and non negotiable. Upon researching on the internet, I found the exact product here on Amazon. I was hesitant at first as the price was extremely different, however ordered it anyway knowing I could ship back if it wasn't the full bed with blower. The product came promptly being a prime member, was easy to set up, and was exactly the same product. To say the least, I was happy, the family was happy, and more important than anything my mother in law was happy in knowing that the product that was helping her for the month previously could continue to be used. Thank you for not gouging on this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars not for electric bed users or taller people, July 31, 2014
Our bed is electric where you can raise or lower both feet and head. We use a hoyer lift for getting the person in and out of bed. The person is 6', 220 lbs. The mattress was wide enough. The pump was quiet; it does have two green lights you won't notice until its dark then they're night lights! Several problems for us: The mattress was too firm for us on the lowest setting-we thought we would be able to feel the mattress alternating but it was barely noticeable. It is lower than our regular twin mattress which we removed because the bed would be too high with both. Then, he kept sliding down in the bed whenever he would raise his head to sit up-to reposition, get a drink, etc. The mattress wasn't sliding, he was. The sliding meant he was too low in the bed when I went to put him in the lift. If you have weak arms or if you use a lift you will not want this mattress - the sliding was a real problem-we had to return the mattress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mattress, October 22, 2013
Mom has had one of these for 7 years and it needed replacing. This is a wonderful mattress and keeps her skin smooth and NO bed sores. The price was great. The quality is just as I expected.......100% great. If you have someone who spends a lot of time in bed, this is the mattress for keeping that persons skin in good shape. With good skin care and the mattress, my mom' skin is in wonderful shape at 89. Would recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Purchase of the Year, November 20, 2013
KAREN BREDAHL (CAMERON PARK, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought the Drive Low Air Loss Mattress System for my teenage son with Muscular Dystrophy to give him a better night's sleep. The conventional mattress that came with the bed could not give enough comfort despite the addition of a memory foam topper, rash-guard air mattress, and a host of pillows. He required re-positioning several times in the night. Now with the new mattress and one head pillow he is sleeping through the night and waking refreshed in the morning. The change has been amazing.

The mattress system includes the mattress, an air pump, and hoses exactly as described on the website, and it fits our Invacare Hospital Bed (36" X 80") perfectly. The mattress cover has a heavy duty bottom, I laid it directly on the bed springs, and straps to secure it to the bed frame. The pump has adjustable firmness. We keep it set in the softest position.

I whole heartily recommend this product to anyone needing more comfort from their hospital bed. It truly has been the best purchase I've made this year.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was Extremely Hard For The Patient, December 22, 2012
C. Taylor (Tallahassee-Leon Co. Metropolitan area, FL.) - See all my reviews
From photos and all written it looked like the Invacare mattress I had. Not so. This, like another mattress we bought back in 2009, was so hard that we knew the patient could not stand it laying on this one for 1 hour. This mattress really had no softness to it all. A hospital mattress without air mattress would be softer. We were using the lowest pressure setting available. It's a picnic table.

I replaced this within a day with an Invacare MA-51 mattress for $400 more but worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as it should, April 18, 2013
I am a quadriplegic currently using this product. Prior to this I was using regular hospital bed mattresses for the past 10 years so this is a big step in the right direction. Because I am on air cells I no longer feel like I am overheating at night and my body stays cool against the mattress. The firmness can be adjusted as well as switching from alternating to regular static so that's a nice feature. I can hear the pressure changing and it's not overwhelming it's actually somewhat relaxing knowing that the pressure is changing. The bottom side of the mattress has straps so its being held in place and it's not going to move around. It's water resistant so it can be easily cleaned with soap and water and other cleaners as long as following the directions given in the Manual so that cover last longer. Because it's vapor permeable that means that the low air loss function is circulating air. Half of the cells have laser holes for that reason alone.

It was easily put together and set up. It comes with a one year warranty from the manufacturer. For the price you can't complain especially when there are other models that do the exact same thing for three times as much.I have only been using it for one week so far so good,

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, easy to use, good value., October 2, 2013
We have had the Drive mattress for about a month now and have had No problems at all. It just took minutes to set up and is easy to use. We are very pleased with it so far. It is exactly what we expected when we ordered it.