Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on October 28, 2011
Incredibly easy to set up. Everything comes in a single box which isn't heavy at all.

Works well.

Whatever you do, choose a mattress with "low air loss" -- do not buy a mattress that ONLY offers alternating pressure!
There is good evidence from studies that "low air loss" mattresses help prevent and heal bed sores, but no good evidence for alternating pressure.
This one has both. you can disable the alternating pressure if you like)

The low air loss on this mattress is CONTINUOUS, which is a good thing!

Some other mattresses (such as several from invacare) have low air loss that is only "on demand" -- you have to push a button which then only activates it for perhaps 20 minutes. I believe continuous low air loss is sure to work more effectively.

The noise is perhaps twice as loud as a big aquarium pump. I found I could eliminate much of the noise if I paid careful attention to the hose connector where it plugs into the pump, a slight gap will makes a loud hissing noise. Press it in well, or tie it if you have to, and no problem. There also are some vibrations generated that propagate through the bed frame, but aren't felt by the patient unless they lean on a rail.
If you had absolutely no other noise generating devices you still might be annoyed by it, but I'm managing to sleep fine in the same room.

What is low air loss? There are zillions of tiny holes on the mattress constantly emitting small amounts of air, which prevents and heals bed sores by keeping skin cool and dry.

In order for a low air loss mattress to effectively prevent bed sores, you need to minimize the amount of material between the patient and mattress!
That means ideally a thin cotton sheet only, or even no sheet and only underpad if there is an existing sore. I'm also using a thin disposable bed pad, and looking to buy a variety specially designed to breathe well for this purpose. Update: Am using kendall "maxiflo", specially designed for low air loss matresses -- good results.

In the event of a power outage, the mattress would eventually deflate creating an uncomfortable and unsafe surface, so that's something to think about.
It'd probably be ok for a bit, but I have a foam mattress I can swap in if we get stuck with a long outage. Haven't been through it yet.
Update: I bought a yamaha 2000 backup generator converted to run on propane, enough to keep refrigerator going too.

Other recommendations for bed sore prevention: Baza Perineal Lotion after regular changes (moisture barrier). Sage "prevalon" heel protector (heel & tailbone are 2 most common bed sores)
For bed sore treatment: xenaderm ointment (prescription only). Keep pressure off, regular turns every 2 hours, cool & dry.
Low air loss is no substitute for regular turns but does really help
55 comments|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2011
So far so good. Ordered this in early-August and have been very pleased with product to date. My brother (diagnosed with M/S) was recently released from hospital and was sent home with a gel pad which was absolutely miserable to lay on for an extended period or time. Sleeping was very uncomfortable and each morning he woke up with sore limbs & burning itchy buttocks. I was so nervous he would end up with a bed sore and started researching Low Air Loss Mattresses which I knew would help maintain skin integrity. Well, we're approx. 45 days into it and he's doing very well and loving his new air mattress. This particular mattress does everything it claims (so far that is). Setting go from soft to firm. Only one drawback: noise level of the pump...after placing a pillow between pump and footboard, however; pump noise was substantially reduced. Set-up was simple and I am not set-up savvy with anything. The best part was the cost. Researched several websites & Amazon was the least expensive (saving over $900 from one competitor for identical product) - so that was a real bargain! (BLESS YOU, AMAZON)! For anyone looking at this mattress or similar items, give it a try. My brother's insurance did not cover this item, that's why price was so important. But again, Amazon was the absolute best price I found and he is thrilled with his new bed thus far. In other words...if he he sleeps well, my hubby & I sleep well and for the past several weeks, me & my husband have been sleeping like babies! lol So, YES, we love this mattress , too! :)
on July 15, 2012
My mother in law needed something for her bed sores, so this product was suggested by the local medical supply company. At the time they said it would all be covered by insurance. A month later, we came to find it was not. We tried discussing the need with the insurance company, but alas it did not help. The local medical supply company gave us a bill for $1600, a fee that seemed extremely high, and non negotiable. Upon researching on the internet, I found the exact product here on Amazon. I was hesitant at first as the price was extremely different, however ordered it anyway knowing I could ship back if it wasn't the full bed with blower. The product came promptly being a prime member, was easy to set up, and was exactly the same product. To say the least, I was happy, the family was happy, and more important than anything my mother in law was happy in knowing that the product that was helping her for the month previously could continue to be used. Thank you for not gouging on this product.
on June 5, 2012
Last year I broke my leg and had to have surgery. The hospital bed I had was pure misery! So when I had to have one at home I got one like this from my insurance company. Since I have type 1 diabetes, and am prone to bedsores. I loved it so much,I purchased this one for Valentines Day for my husband. We got rid of our king mattress and put these two together on the king bed platform. It works great like that and we are getting the best nights sleep. We both have back issues and this helps. However, I believe it really is more of a queen sized bed together.

Update: it is one year later and we still love the beds. However, my husband now finds himself on a flat bed come morning! We are now trying to find out how to get a replacement through the year warranty. Keep your fingers crossed!
Here is my update: we called and emailed Amazom about our problem. The next day they sent a new mattress for my husband! They picked up the problem one and within four days he had a new Drive Low air loss mattress! Such service! Outstanding! Cannot thank you enough! This one is quieter and my husband is so happy.
If you are on the fence, don't worry? Amazom stands behind their products!
33 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2013
Mom has had one of these for 7 years and it needed replacing. This is a wonderful mattress and keeps her skin smooth and NO bed sores. The price was great. The quality is just as I expected.......100% great. If you have someone who spends a lot of time in bed, this is the mattress for keeping that persons skin in good shape. With good skin care and the mattress, my mom' skin is in wonderful shape at 89. Would recommend this to anyone.
on November 20, 2013
I bought the Drive Low Air Loss Mattress System for my teenage son with Muscular Dystrophy to give him a better night's sleep. The conventional mattress that came with the bed could not give enough comfort despite the addition of a memory foam topper, rash-guard air mattress, and a host of pillows. He required re-positioning several times in the night. Now with the new mattress and one head pillow he is sleeping through the night and waking refreshed in the morning. The change has been amazing.

The mattress system includes the mattress, an air pump, and hoses exactly as described on the website, and it fits our Invacare Hospital Bed (36" X 80") perfectly. The mattress cover has a heavy duty bottom, I laid it directly on the bed springs, and straps to secure it to the bed frame. The pump has adjustable firmness. We keep it set in the softest position.

I whole heartily recommend this product to anyone needing more comfort from their hospital bed. It truly has been the best purchase I've made this year.
on December 22, 2012
From photos and all written it looked like the Invacare mattress I had. Not so. This, like another mattress we bought back in 2009, was so hard that we knew the patient could not stand it laying on this one for 1 hour. This mattress really had no softness to it all. A hospital mattress without air mattress would be softer. We were using the lowest pressure setting available. It's a picnic table.

I replaced this within a day with an Invacare MA-51 mattress for $400 more but worth it.
on January 19, 2014
I chose this rating because the mattress was exactly what I was looking for. The one I had been using for the last 8 years either sprung a leak or the motor had a problem, but I needed a replacement fast. My insurance company refused to pay for another mattress like this, stating it was not medically necessary. I'm a paraplegic (32 yrs) and can't sleep on regular mattress because I could get bedsores. These mattresses are a Godsend. Thank you for the quick delivery and for making them so reasonably priced. They usually sell for thousands!!!
on August 10, 2013
My daddy was in hospice care for 19 weeks before he passed. He had stimulator units implanted on both hips, and he was only 120 pounds before he passed away. I needed a mattress that would minimize the pressure on his units since they were essentially on his bones. This mattress provided him the comfort he needed in his final weeks.
on May 14, 2014
The pump died after 2 years and I needed a replacement immediately. Drive Medical didn't care and told me to contact Amazon.I told them I needed the pump yesterday...'we can't'. Even in an emergency? Guess so. I had to go through a distributor and their expedite service will take 7 days to my home. It wasn't about the money...it was about the speed. Amazon stepped in and extended the warranty but with Amazon eating the cost it will lead to higher prices and they still couldn't get it here any quicker. SHAME ON DRIVE MEDICAL! The mattress is great when it's working but I'll be fighting bed sores in a week...thanks to the corporate office.
This is the link to the replacement pump if/when any one needs one...