Published on April 12, 2008 by T. Dalton

3.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful
This show was entertaining and suspenseful. I was really into the characters and wanted to know what happened to them. I tend not watch these kind of tv shows where each episode builds on the previous one because so often they get canceled before you find out what happens and of course that happened to this show, canceled after only 6 episodes. I wish this had been a...
Published 21 months ago by ibmjas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for the DVD, even if it is only the few episodes that were filmed., April 12, 2008
This review is from: Drive Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
First let me say, I hate FOX. I really, really hate FOX. They have shown time and time again that they have the ability to make absolutely brilliant shows, with fantastic, talented ensemble casts, with writing that is sharp, witty, funny and emotionally relevant without being sappy. Now, I'm not talking about shows like "America's next teenage idol's dog" or "Killer Chihuahuas" or any of the other "reality" shows that they are currently in love with on FOX. I'm talking about shows like Firefly, Wonderfalls and Drive. Shows that FOX will then sabotage (like Firefly, for example) by pre-empting the show for something stupid, or just pull the plug because they think that the show is going to tank, before they have actually given the show a chance to succeed (like Drive).

Now that I have that out of my system, I'll get on with my actual review of the show "Drive." I LOVED THIS SHOW. This was an adrenaline pumping, heart thumping, sit on the edge of my seat biting my nails, can't wait to see what happens next show. The cast was brilliant. Nathan Fillion was absolutely amazing as the heartbroken husband whose wife is kidnapped in order to blackmail him into joining "The Race." His transformation following his torture from "Alex the innocuous" good husband/good guy, into "Alex the bad guy" was one of the most chilling onscreen moments since the Anthony Hopkins introduction as Hannibal Lechter in Silence of the Lambs. And that's only the beginning. The remainder of the cast were also excellent. Melanie Lynskey was terrific as the mother of a newborn doing everything she could to protect her baby. I loved the conspiracy theory angle of the show, and trying to figure out who was behind it all and what was really happening and why. I even tracked down two more of the episodes online, just so I could see more of the show. I wish that FOX would have kept this show going. It had so much potential, and was such fun to watch. Lighthearted and fluffy it wasn't. But, if you wanted to watch something that was going to have you thinking about it for the rest of the week, and waiting intensely for the next episode to air, this was the show.

I hope that FOX will eventually release all eight (?) episodes (not sure if they filmed 6 or 8 episodes as I was only able to track down six) on DVD. Although, I'm not sure I want to support anything that comes from FOX, I would still want to buy this show on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this show..., February 7, 2011

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

Now that I have that out of my system, I'll get on with my actual review of the show "Drive." I LOVED THIS SHOW. This was an adrenaline pumping, heart thumping, sit on the edge of my seat biting my nails, can't wait to see what happens next show. The cast was brilliant. Nathan Fillion was absolutely amazing as the heartbroken husband whose wife is kidnapped in order to blackmail him into joining "The Race." His transformation following his torture from "Alex the innocuous" good husband/good guy, into "Alex the bad guy" was one of the most chilling onscreen moments since the Anthony Hopkins introduction as Hannibal Lechter in Silence of the Lambs. And that's only the beginning. The remainder of the cast were also excellent. Melanie Lynskey was terrific as the mother of a newborn doing everything she could to protect her baby. I loved the conspiracy theory angle of the show, and trying to figure out who was behind it all and what was really happening and why. I even tracked down two more of the episodes online, just so I could see more of the show. I wish that FOX would have kept this show going. It had so much potential, and was such fun to watch. Lighthearted and fluffy it wasn't. Was it a perfect show? Probably not. But, if you wanted to watch something that was going to have you thinking about it for the rest of the week, and waiting intensely for the next episode to air, this was the show.

I hope that FOX will eventually release all eight (?) episodes (not sure if they filmed 6 or 8 episodes as I was only able to track down six) online. Although, I'm not sure I want to support anything that comes from FOX, I would still want to buy this show on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drive was one of the best shows FOX ever aired., January 1, 2009
I don't watch a lot of TV because most of it sucks, but this was one show that was just awesome. Yes, it was too good to be true as one other reviewer stated. Sure, the opening episode was a little shaky and some of the edits were a little cheesy, but once you got into the plot and story-line you were hooked. Watch episode 6, "Rearview," it is incredible. It didn't air, but it is available from iTunes. It is great. I really hope they do something about this and bring it back in 2009. It was someone at Fox's decision to pit this show against "Dancing With the Stars" and "Deal or No Deal"... that was just plain stupid. If they had any brains they would have put "Drive" in another time slot. The actors and plot in Drive are incredible. Please bring this show back or at least make a feature-length movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fox shows its lack of foresight again..., May 13, 2008
Jadecat (Lake Orion, MI United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Drive Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
This show was something different and had an engaging cast. I could watch Nathan Fillion count blades of grass though, so I am a bit biased. Still, the show had potential, and once again Fox cancels a series before it has a chance to get a good start. Well, I will watch the extra episodes and hope Fox will eventually learn a lesson. I agree about the reality shows, YAWN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adrenaline pumping must-see show, April 10, 2008
This review is from: Drive Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
I saw this show when it originally aired, and was absolutely heartbroken when Fox decided to pull it after airing only 4 episodes. There is a rumor that two other episodes, which were ready for release but never aired on tv, are available on the 'net somewhere.
The show synopsis makes it seem like a one-trick pony, but it was surprisingly really engaging. Each character is three-dimensional, complete with their own catchy backstory, occasionally stunning lines of dialogue, and motivations. That made it very, very difficult to have a 'favorite' character...or even a 'least favorite' character. There's real character development, plus plot, humor, romance/sexual tension, danger, crime, and oh yes, did I forget the wonderful special effects? Every episode felt like I was watching a really well-made movie, the effects were just that good. I've never been much of a car racing person before this, but I was on the edge of my seat every time there was a pursuit or any rally-type of scene. Really, I cannot recommend this series enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars SHOULD GIVE OUT AT LEAST THE 8 EPISODES DONE, April 6, 2008
Curtis Lyon "curtlyon19" (Carson City, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drive Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
Great, great and really great. Still think Fox is ignorant for dropping it with 4 episodes left never shown! Keep hoping they'll release all 8 on DVD but it doesnt look good. great fun, great premise, great race. One of the few shows I actually stopped and got in front of a TV when it was to be on.
geez, Nathan Fillion and at least 3/4 of the cast pick good roles. Maybe Minear will do something else but hard to surpass this. The four episodes available are well worth the time and money

5.0 out of 5 stars get out & drive, August 14, 2013
This review is from: Drive Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
I don't know why they stopped it so soon .maybe the story was to soon do to others ideas but it was perfect for me . I would liked to seen more than one season . I give it a 5 stars+ great actors brought together for something good on tv and they stopped it . Bring it back it was the best thing to the cannonball run series maybe better come on people think about what's on TV know realality TV come on really thanks for your time JJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Still wondering who won the race, December 12, 2012
This review is from: Drive Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
A great, fun ride cut short. Watching Nathan Fillion and the charming Emma Stone in this short-lived series is a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars I only wish it had lasted, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Drive Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
This is the beginning of a fine TV series. If only it had lasted a whole season. Damn Fox TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but silly, January 16, 2014
This review is from: Drive Season 1 (Amazon Instant Video)
Fun show but silly premise not sure how long such a story line would have lasted. But as another reviewer pointed out I'm happy to watch Nathan Fillion in whatever roll he's in.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›