5.0 out of 5 stars A dressing for the UML Salad, July 9, 2008
This review is from: Use Case Driven Object Modeling with UMLTheory and Practice (Hardcover)
Since 2001 I had a lot of courses on UML modelling at the university and in inhouse company workshops. But none of them gave me the real power to write use cases so that I can easilly extract an object model from it. I always had problems to bridge the use cases to sequence diagrams and class models.

This book gave me the clues (with red and bold highlighted) such
"You can't drive object-oriented designs from use-cases unless you tie your use cases to objects."

Now I have to say, I write use cases more confidetially, knowing that they build a real basis for futher object modelling. 5 stars!!

4.0 out of 5 stars clear, concise and practical, October 6, 2008
I am still working my way through the book but so far I am impressed by the authors direct no nonsense views on design and test. I am a software tester and my new project uses UML which I have not worked with before. This book has given me a good overview and explains the terms and diagrams used in UML design very clearly.
Keep up the good work guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pragmatic process very well explained., May 1, 2010
I learnt about the book about one or two years ago when I was searching the Internet for something like "gap analysis design". One of the results was a four-part series about "The Iconix process in pieces". I liked the excerpt and have used its hints now and then. In these days I had to analyze and design another rather complex Software from scratch. I thought the book could give me additional valuable information.

It was very interesting and easy to read. I find the Iconix process pragmatic and useful. The book comes with a good portion of theory, lots of examples of what could go wrong - which I think is a very useful technique to teach the stuff - and with additional exercises.

If you are looking for a comprehensive guide about all kinds of UML diagrams or about all aspects of Software Architecture, this is not the right book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, December 25, 2010
This book is brilliant in what it does not tell you. It's brilliant in explaining what steps can be safely skipped when designing software. Sure, one can put a lot of time into design, and you can document a project a 100 different ways, but what's the minimum amount of documentation needed? What's the minimum amount of work we can do and get the job done really well? This book answers these essential questions. I own a software company and i've read a lot of books. This book, more than any other, influenced the process we use to build excellent software with a consistent and stable approach. In my company, this book would be required reading except that we live it, and folks in our company learn this material even if they don't read the book. Yes, this is the kind of book you can actually implement in your business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, September 29, 2012
I've read a fair number of books on modelling and I've been involved with modelling for a large part of my profesionnal career. I only very late stumbled upon ICONIX and boy am I pleased I did.

This book takes you on a straight forward, linear tour through software modelling using the ICONIX approach. The read is light-hearted and to the point and the content is very practical. It's a good read almost entirely without fluff. I really like his little alerts through-out the book to help you avoid "Analysis-Paralysis".

After having read the book, I was in no doubt which process to apply to the next project I was involved in, and it has worked very well for me ever since.

4.0 out of 5 stars No-nonsense, practical advise on using UML, April 23, 2012
From the "big picture" view to step by step guidance on how to get from requirements to design to code as quickly as possible, this has to be one of the most practical books available on using the UML successfully. It discusses how to create models that are actually useful to developers and business stakeholders, by focussing on the purpose of each of the diagrams under consideration. You wont find a 30 page use case template document here! Often witty, sometimes a little cynical (particularly of UML zealots), but always pragmatic and no-nonsense.
Only reason I didn't rate it 5 start is that it is a little hung-up about the iconix process and the fact that it isn't as popular as some other methodologies, when perhaps it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars ICONIX process from ground up, June 6, 2009
Bumblebee (San Jose, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
The authors explain ICONIX process from ground up - a design methodology for object-oriented analysis and design. Recommended!

This book is not about UML. It is an application of UML. ICONIX process simplifies the use of UML diagrams and uses only 4 UML diagrams, rather than 14 UML diagrams, for the software development from requirement to testing.

For the introduction of OOA/OOD, I recommend "Applying UML And Patterns" by Craig Larman.

Use Case Driven Object Modeling with UMLTheory and Practice
Use Case Driven Object Modeling with UMLTheory and Practice by Doug Rosenberg (Hardcover - April 4, 2008)
Used & New from: $23.50