5.0 out of 5 stars Fooled...pleasantly
I'm a huge Joe B fan and like almost anything he does. I was excited when I heard that he was releasing this album. When the samples showed up on Amazon, I ran thru them all and was decidedly disappointed. Not sure why I felt that way, but today when I could buy the MP3's, I did so, strictly on his rep.
WOW! Played entire songs thru my Sennheiser HD598s and was...
Published on May 22, 2012 by Ken A

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Recording
I'm a big fan of Joe's as it relates to the great blues playing as showcased on PBS. This CD (not MP3) recording is horrible in that it is compressed, bass-shy, with an over the top sizzly top end. Actually sounds distorted on many peaks. Its not my system(s). I've tried it on three different systems and 2 pairs of headphones, including Sennheiser HD600's. Too bad, but...
Published 20 months ago by Telecaster

5.0 out of 5 stars Fooled...pleasantly, May 22, 2012
Ken A (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
WOW! Played entire songs thru my Sennheiser HD598s and was wildly thrilled with the driving music that I could now clearly hear.
Really simple advice, if you even kinda like Joe B., BUY THIS ALBUM. I think some of the songs could be huge popular crossover hits. But what do I know? I'm just a 63YO grandpa who has loved almost any kind of music all my life with favs in rock/blues.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Blues-Rock Master Class, May 22, 2012
This review is from: Driving Towards The Daylight (Audio CD)
For his tenth studio album as a solo artist (and his 13th overall in the past 12 years), Joe Bonamassa and producer Kevin Shirley returned to Las Vegas, the site of their original collaboration (on 2006's "You and Me"). Seven of the eleven songs on the album were recorded in Vegas, at Studio at the Palms. The other four were recorded in Los Angeles. Aside from bassist Carmine Rojas, who plays on the four LA tracks, the musicians are not from his touring band, but rather an impressive collection of guest stars. Aerosmith's Brad Whitford and his 17-year-old son Harrison, Blondie Chaplin, and veteran session man Pat Thrall contribute on guitar. They are joined by Arlan Schierbaum on piano and organ, Michael Rhodes on bass, and Anton Fig on drums and percussion. Doug Henthorn contributes backing vocals, and producer Shirley even gets in on the act, performing on guitar, tambourine, toy piano (!), and (of course) cowbell. Joe handles the lead vocals on all the tracks except for the final one, where Aussie Jimmy Barnes takes the spotlight.

Joe describes the album as "a return to the thing I love most: the Blues." It is certainly that, although this is blues filtered through Joe's British-tinged sensibilities. If you prefer your blues to rock, Joe is your kind of guy.

The album opens with "Dislocated Boy," an up-tempo Bonamassa original that "wrote itself," according to Joe. Next up is a cover of blues legend Robert Johnson's "Stones in My Passway," which features a soulful vocal and a chunky, driving 12-string electric guitar. The album's title track, another Bonamassa original, shifts things into ballad mode, albeit a ballad with a powerhouse chorus based on a song fragment Joe had stored in his head for more than a decade. The lyrics, about a troubled relationship, are evocative, and Joe's voice has a wistful quality that marks this as one of his best performances. Understandably, he has been featuring this song as encore material during his current tour. The next track, a cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Who's Been Talking" is introduced by a clip of the blues master himself talking about what he'd like to hear from his drummer, and Bonamassa's version amusingly begins with exactly what Wolf described. This song has also been featured on the current tour's set list. Next up is a rollicking, Chicago-style cover of Willie Dixon's "I Got All You Need," followed by the slow, soulful burn of Bernie Marsden's "A Place in My Heart."

Bonamassa doesn't just cover venerable blues masters, of course. "Lonely Town, Lonely Street" is a rock-inflected take on a Bill Withers tune, and is the album's longest track. It is followed by "Heavenly Soul," a Bonamassa original flavored with a bit of mandolin and some savory Hammond organ work by Schierbaum to go along with some of Joe's most scintillating guitar. Next up is "New Coat of Paint," which deftly marries the wry storytelling of songwriter Tom Waits with Bonamassa's guitar heroics. Then comes Buddy Miller's "Somewhere Trouble Don't Go," a driving, British blues-rock take on what was originally a gospel-style song. Finally, there is the smouldering passion of "Too Much Ain't Enough Love," featuring the raw vocal style of Jimmy Barnes, the song's co-author.

Bonamassa's last five solo albums have hit No. 1 on Billboard's Blues chart; the last two ("Black Rock" and "Dust Bowl") also hit the Top Ten on the Rock chart, and the Top Forty overall. "Driving Towards the Daylight" is something of a stylistic throwback for Joe (and is intended as such), but the music sounds anything but old-fashioned, and seems likely to propel the album to equal or better its predecessors in terms of popular acclaim. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great CD, May 24, 2012
I don't know how Joe Bonamassa manages to produce CD after CD with so much vitality while also undertaking such a long touring schedule plus a radio show. He is a rock blues artist and this CD leans towards his blues side, despite covering songs by Bill Withers & Tom Waits. I love his versions of Robert Johnson's `Stones In My Passway' and Howlin Wolf's `Who's Been Talking' which has an intro of about 30 seconds of an interview with Howlin Wolf. (and it works). However the stand out track for me is his version of the Bill Withers classic, `Lonely Town Lonely Street.' Joe Bonamassa fans will not be disappointed, and this CD is also a good introduction for those that are new to this great artist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Joe Bonamassa Has A New Fan - Me, June 2, 2012
I am late to the party on Joe Bonamassa, but I decided to give his latest album a try. I've been very pleased with Driving Towards the Daylight. I find his style to be similar to Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Most of the songs are rowdy blues rockers, but there are also a few ballads including the title track. Bonamassa has a vocal delivery suited to the music he plays. He is able to lend emotion to the ballads "Driving Towards The Daylight" and "A Place In My Heart" while having enough grit on the up-tempo songs ("Dislocated Boy", "New Coat Of Paint"). However the main reason to check out Joe Bonamassa is to hear his guitar work. His style is for those who like the aforementioned Shepherd or Stevie Ray Vaughn. While he demonstrates a good feel for the blues, he also shows off some good technique as he does on "Lonely Town Lonely Street" with the back and forth solo at the end where he trades off with the Hammond B3. He also reminds me of Jeff Healey on "A Place In My Heart".

Just because this is a blues album doesn't mean that it is all downers. "Heavenly Soul" is as catchy of a song as you will find on a blues album, and "Who's Been Talking" has a spoken intro describing the Calypso rhythm employed on the song.

Overall I am quite pleased with Driving Towards the Daylight, and I plan to check out his other work. I would recommend it to anyone who likes blues rock.

Download this: Heavenly Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonamassa Continues To Drive Towards Iconic History, August 12, 2012
Boomerocity (East Tennessee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Driving Towards The Daylight (Audio CD)
In my review of Joe Bonamassa's recent concert DVD, Joe Bonamassa Beacon Theater Live From New York, I wrote: "Okay, so here's the deal. Boomerocity is such a HUGE Joe Bonamassa fan that, by all accounts, every review we post should just read, `Love it. Buy it. Now! This review is no different."

What I wrote then holds true now: Love it. Buy it. Now!

For you tough ones who need convincing, here it goes.

Joe Bonamassa is, in Boomerocity's opinion, the pre-eminent guitarist of this generation. The young guitar prodigy is well beyond his years in writing, playing and performing and it shows in Driving Towards the Daylight.

The album has much of the same "hounds of Hell at the crossroads" sound that Bonamassa served up on his last album, Dust Bowl. You get that vibe from the first cut, Dislocated Boy, which is one of the four songs written by Joe.

Another great Bonamassa written tune is the title track. It oozes loneliness and desperation like no other song written in recent days. This tune has already been worthy of infinite slaps of the repeat button, it's that great. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this tune is picked up in the country charts either as recorded by Joe or recorded by someone like, say, Rascal Flatts.

A Place in My Heart is another - if not the - Boomerocity favorite. It sounds as though it might have been a tune written for the album he did with Beth Hart, Don't Explain and could've easily segued into or out of I'd Rather Go Blind. For that matter, I'd betcha a dollar to a Krispy Kreme donut (glazed and fresh out of the oven) that Sir Joe seques this song into Gary Moore's Still Got The Blues (for You) during at least one live performance. If it does, I sure hope that it makes it onto his next concert DVD . . . or, at least, shows up on YouTube (hint, hint).

While much could be written about each and every song on the album, that would take all the fun away. However, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the incredible treatment given to the Jimmy Barnes song (co-written Boomerocity friend, Jonathan Cain, Neal Schon, Randy Jackson and Tony Brock). Oh, and Barnes provides the vocals on the tune, as well. All I can say is, "amazing"!

Oh, something else I can say, too: Love it. Buy it. Now!

Boomerocity.com

5.0 out of 5 stars RICK "SHAQ" GOLDSTEIN SAYS: "A MARRIAGE OF ELECTRIC BLUES... ROCK... AND BALLADS. JOE CREATES THE PERFECT MIX!", May 26, 2012
This review is from: Driving Towards The Daylight (Audio CD)
As stated many times I am an electric blues fanatic and pride myself in exploring and enjoying the few modern electric blues centered artists... as well as going back in time... all the way to Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf... and coming back to the future with loving interludes along the way with Otis Rush... T-Bone Walker... The Butterfield Blues Band... Luther Allison... the great Albert King... Stevie Ray Vaughan... and the ageless Buddy Guy... and everything in between. And the beauty of Joe Bonamassa between the "notes" and his songs... is his knowledge and endearment of all the commercially unrewarded bluesman that lit and carried the original torch. This includes dedicating his free time to speaking to school children about the blues. Now I admit I was spoiled by Joe's modern classic "BLUES DELUXE" ... and I constantly made it abundantly clear that I was disappointed and yearning for more electric blues from him as he released CD after CD. Though creatively successful, the many CD's in between were nothing to be scoffed at... and his most recent (prior to this) CD with Beth Hart was absolutely beautiful (I gave it a 5-star-review)... it still left me yearning for a bigger concentration of electric-blues. Well this foot-stomping-electric-blues-rock-ballad-release should make anyone who loves Joe's work... no matter which of these previously mentioned categories are their favorite... more than happy. They should be near ecstatic... I know I am.

For sheer foot stomping... string bending... electric blues... beautifully mixed with some songs that might be just a micrometer away from blues... into the rock category... each songs brilliance... makes it impossible to complain. As Abe Lincoln once said: "YOU CAN PLEASE SOME OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME... AND ALL THE PEOPLE SOME OF THE TIME... BUT YOU CAN'T PLEASE ALL OF THE PEOPLE... ALL OF THE TIME!" Well, I think Joe has pleased all of the people who love all the different types of his music with one CD.

Front and center on stage with this CD... Joe's voice has never been highlighted better. From the sheer beauty of his voice... to the unadulterated power... to not only hitting the high notes... but the ability to growl with the visceral intensity that is the uninhibited soulful power and yearning of the blues... his virtuoso guitar work ranges from heavy string bending (ala "SRV" and Albert King)... to making his strings sing like it was replacing the lead violinist in the Boston Symphony. If you're able to catch the lyrics (which weren't provided in the liner notes)... for true electric-blues lovers he shares an almost "insiders" joke... when in "DISLOCATED BOY"... he states that he "shares a birthday with Robert Johnson"... which is absolutely true... and he also shares it with my dear departed Mother and "Give-Em-Hell-Harry-Truman".... *MAY 8TH*!

A beautiful tribute to the legendary Howlin' Wolf is not only the cover by Joe of Howlin' Wolf's song "WHO'S BEEN TALKING"... but the preamble to the song... is Wolf's *ACTUAL VOICE* (unannounced or explained by Joe) as he gives instructions to his drummer as to what kind of beat he wants to accomplish... this to me... is not only a unique and almost humorous remembrance... but a "tip-of-the-hat"... to one of the "authentic" pioneers of electric blues. Since I'm now... what would be considered... a veteran of the electric-blues (I guess that means old)... this dedication of time and valuable space by Joe... will forever cement in my heart that Joe truly is an electric-bluesman in his very soul!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album from Joe B, August 13, 2012
This review is from: Driving Towards The Daylight (Audio CD)
You cant go wrong with this album from Joe. Great riffs. Singing as good as ever. Would like to see Joe do a whole album of originals though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe Bonamassa CD Driving Toward the Daylight, July 26, 2012
This Blues CD is the best I have heard in years. It has a 1970's sound of talent that is not around much these days. That is a combination of superior vocals, HOT GUTAR LICKS, and down to earth messages in the songs. Good for the soul, heart, and mind. This is how a rockin blues is done , when done at the highest level of achivement. I hope I can make this show, It will be worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice album, not exceptional, July 19, 2012
M. Bernocchi "mbernocchi" (Old Windsor, Berkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Driving Towards The Daylight (Audio CD)
There is little to add to what has already been said by the reviewers who preceded me. It is not surprising that "Driving Towards The Daylight" has received lots of 5 or 4 stars comments as it is a very nice, solid rock/blues CD. However, having said that, it sounds to me more like an album from a "singer" rather than the effort from (at least in my opinion) one of the top three blues guitar players in the business, I would have loved to ear more guitar playing/soloing and less singing. Sadly still miles behind "Blues Deluxe" that in my opinion is still Joe's best effort to date (Joe, will we ever have the joy to listening to "Blues Deluxe 2"?).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, June 2, 2012
This review is from: Driving Towards The Daylight (Audio CD)
I've perused Bonamassa's previous works, saw an NPR special on him once, and decided to finally purchase one of his CDs. Quite a talent. Highly recommended.

Driving Towards The Daylight
Driving Towards The Daylight by Joe Bonamassa (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies