Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 18, 2000
I have been battling the squirrels with limited success for years. Either the feeders didn't stop the squirrels at all or they were so dang ugly I didn't want them in my yard. The squirrels even ate a few of the "squirrel proof" feeder I tried.
I'm pretty cheap, but the Droll Yankee Co. seems to have a good reputation so I wasn't too reluctant to part with the bucks for this feeder. My first impression was that it is a lot larger than I expected and seemed to be sturdier than most feeders.
I plugged it in and let it charge overnight (it charges like a power screwdriver), filled it with black-oil sunflower and hung it in my favorite bird feeder tree the next morning. My Carolina-chickadees and Cardinals were feeding within thirty minutes, Mr.Squirrel made his first attempt after about an hour. There is really no way I can describe what followed. Let's just say I have some really freaked out squirrels around my house.
I have had the feeder up for over a month, the squirrels have been forced to feed from the spilled seed on the ground and the feeder is still operating from the original charge.
This feeder is is worth every penny and then some. I wish I could give it more than five stars.
55 comments| 208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2007
This feeder is a lot of fun and it works great until the squirrels figure it out. It's easy for the smaller red squirrels and, eventually a gray squirrel will beat it and it's all over. When a gray squirrel finds a position that allows him to feed while the Flipper spins he can very quickly exhaust the battery, allowing him and other squirrels to feed effortlessly. See for yourself. Do a search on youtube for "Squirrel vs. Droll Yankee Flipper". (Amazon won't allow me to post the actual link).
1717 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2001
We recently purchased the Yankee Flipper bird feeder and love it. So do the birds!
The feeder came completely set up; there was no assembly to do. Amazon had put the Flipper box into a larger box for shipping. It came in excellent shape.
As advertised, the Nicad batteries were completely discharged. Thus step one is to charge the batteries overnight.
How It Works: The ring that the birds sit on will not deflect with the weight of a bird. Bigger birds do not trip the mechanism; we've even had a red-bellied woodpecker taking sunflower seeds from the feeder. But when excessive weight is on the ring it tilts down, turns on the motor and starts the ring turning. Then the motor deactivates when the weight is off the ring.
There are two screws that you can tighten to prevent the mechanism from tilting (thus turning on). I recommend you use these when the unit is in the charge cycle.
The ports that the birds take seeds from are well designed and the birds can eat to the last seed without any problem.
When looking at the picture of the feeder, I thought it would be better if the feeder had more feeding ports. Now that we have the feeder, I think the ports only on the bottom are better. I let the feeder get pretty well empty before I refill it.
After filling the feeder two or three times I found it useful to turn the feeder over and dump out the dust and foreign particles that are in the seed. We've attached an S hook to the tree with a plastic tie wrap which has made it convenient to lift off the feeder to dump and refill.
Regarding the mechanism: I recommend that for the first few days when the feeder is out, keep the lock down screws turned to prevent rotation. Then the mechanism will not turn on when a squirrel jumps on the feeder. After you see some squirrels on the feeder, loosen the screws and watch the action!
If you like feeding the birds and agitating the squirrels, you will love this feeder.
on May 28, 2006
This is the only product that I have purchased that I have felt compelled to make a comment on. The Yankee Flipper has brought a wonderful balance to my backyard that I truly had come to believe I would never be able to achieve. Like many other reviewers, I have had a sneaky admiration for the squirrels, but my goal has been to feed and attract birds to my backyard. I would fill the feeder and two days later it would be empty! The birds managed to eat about 10% of the seed, and the squirrels got the rest. I fought back by moving the feeder, mounting it in different areas (trying to move it out of their reach), baffles and anything else I could think of to no avail. Those wily rodents would counter any move I made. They clearly were more ingenious than I. I had more or less been resigned to defeat, when I saw the Yankee Flipper demonstrated on the Victory Garden. I found it here on Amazon and read the reviews. I was encouraged if not optimistic (I had been beaten down for too many years). It was an expensive purchase, but I decided that over time I would save money by having to purchase less bird seed, if it really worked. And it does!!! I only had the pleasure of watching the squirrels go for a spin a few times over the course of two days, they learn fast. They are now content to settle for what small amount of seed falls from the feeder. It is fun to watch them now. I can see them looking at all the birds on the feeder trying to figure out how those birds keep from taking a ride! There are many more birds at the feeder now, without competition - there are enough portals to allow the larger birds to feed while the chickadees and nuthatches flit in and out for their single seeds. I am now enjoying watching all the birds, the chipmunks, and yes, even the squirrels; I have come to peace with them at last! So if you are contemplating buying one of these feeders, don't let the price put you off. Seed - $5, Yankee Flipper - $85, Harmony - priceless!!!
on December 18, 2001
Well, I've had many "squirrel-proof" bird feeders over the last 5 years - each promising to defeat our furry four-footed friends - and each only moderately successful! When I saw the Yankee Flipper video - I flipped...could it be that I found the last bird feeder I'll ever need to buy? YES - For over the last year - I've been very pleased with this bird feeder. It has not been successfully accessed by the squirrels - despite lots of attempts - and the associated gymnastics! But the birds? They don't have a problem unless two morning doves land on the same side at the same time...then...well that's another story. This is an exceptional product concept - well built and executed.
You do need to charge its internal battery 2X a year - but that's it. In the next generation, I'd probably redesign how the cord is placed in the charger receptical - but that is it. An outstanding product - and on amazon for a great price! I paid almost $100 for it at my local bird store - but even at that price - it is great. I will be buying these to replace my other feeders as they wear out (squirrels manage to eat their way through cages, plastic and even metal on some of the other feeders) - but not the Yankee Flipper. A GREAT product! You will NOT be sorry!
on June 22, 2005
This is absolutely the end of your squirrel problems.

I have battled and battled and battled squirrels and wasted a fortune in non-squirrel-proof feeders and an even bigger fortune in bird food that went straight to making annoying little squirrels into realy annoying well-fed fat squirrels.

THIS BABY WORKS.

One comment: the handbook explains that there will be a "lag time" between when squirrels realize that it's not worth their energy to try a grab a couple of kernels, and the time when birds realize it is there.

I found this to be exactly true, although it took a little longer than the booklet predicted.

It took my squirrels about 4-5 days to "get it" that their energy expenditure was not worth the tiny amount of food they might be able to grab while being flipped. In the meantime their machinations provided enormous humor to my family.

It also took our birds about FIVE WEEKS to realize the feeder was there and was safe. I grew quite despondent during that period (did I really just spend $83 bucks on a feeder that's never going to be used????) but our patience was rewarded and we now have scores of backyard birds enjoying the heck out of our treats.

This is the ultimate gardening triumph: "A No Regrets Purchase." Buy it! You'll never look back.
on February 20, 2007
This feeder worked fabulously for the first month, spinning off squirrels the way a dog spins off water. However, when the heavy snows covered the natural foods that the squirrels were forced to resume eating, they put their squirrelly heads together and came up with an ingenious solution. They've discovered that if they can grab the bird stand with all four feet and hold on while the spinner does it's thing, the feeder wobbles around in an unbalanced arc. This causes seed to spill from the holes until the squirrel loses his grip (which usually happens after about 10 revolutions), providing a feast for those who remain earthbound during Operation Dizzy Dinner. The amount of seed they get on a daily basis is not nearly what they were getting before the arrival of the Flipper, and the entertainment value is worth the small loss. We suspect that the squirrels draw lots every morning to see who gets to ride the Flipper for the benefit of the community.

Whoever said squirrels are dumb hasn't seen this show!
on June 13, 2001
The Yankee Flipper really works - it keeps the squirrels away and allows the birds to eat from the feeder. I had been having squirrel problems for some time before trying the Yankee Flipper. It has been worth every penny. Within three days of installing the Yankee Flipper, the squirrels were staying off the feeder, not eating from it and not spilling the seeds on the ground like they did with my other feeders. I have had birds the size of grackles using the Yankee Flipper with no problem.
The rotating platform is fun, and really just causes the squirrels to jump off. It doesn't THROW them. The feeder top is made of very heavy metal, which doesn't allow squirrels to pull it off or gnaw it off. The feed port design keeps squirrels from rocking the feeder and dumping seeds out. Make sure you charge the batteries the full 12 hours before using it, and the feeder batteries are sensitive to temperature extremes. I am thoroughly satisfied with this purchase. GET THE YANKEE FLIPPER!!!!!!
on January 21, 2011
Tabs made of plastic broke within 2 weeks and the base falls on the ground. Company sent replacement part which changed the tension and now it won't keep the squirrels off. I want to see about getting my money back. Don't waste your time with this one!
on August 27, 2001
This is the first feeder I've found that is truly squirrel-proof. It works as promised, provides birds with squirrel-free dining, and people with uninterrupted bird-viewing. Now, if someone will make a feeder that discourages vast hordes of white wing doves, I'll be set. :) A few points about the feeder: The length of time the batteries hold a charge is affected by temperature extremes. In central Texas, where summer temperatures are often triple-digit, I've found the batteries will hold a charge for a week to ten days. The hotter it is outdoors (or, in winter, the colder), the less time between recharges. A recharge requires 24 hours. For those concerned about the feeder's motorized mechanism slinging squirrels at great force, not to worry. The spinning action doesn't actually sling the squirrels off the feeder, it just takes them for a ride they aren't expecting and don't particularly enjoy. They aren't slung off, they jump off. Always. :) According to the feeder's instruction booklet, red squirrels and chipmunks do not weigh enough to activate the motor; for anyone seeking to discourage those particular animals, this feeder will not be effective. This is a beautifully-designed feeder, well worth the expense. If you are like me, and have been wasting money on every new "squirrel-proof" feeder that comes on the market, your search is over. The Yankee Flipper will not disappoint.