Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Style Name: New|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on June 28, 2015
When I first bought this the camera provided good results, easy to set-up, easy to monitor on the website interface, easy to deal with archived clips, very good iPhone app that would send alerts if there was movement in the field of view. Ever since Nest/Google bought Dropcam and they re-did the iPhone app and website I can no longer recommend this product which is sad.

First the iPhone app used to use GPS to automatically turn on/off the Dropcam when I left or returned home. It no longer does that as the app cannot figure out if your out or at home. Part of the problem is that they use WiFi for location services instead of just GPS so if your iPhone tries to connect to a WiFi network outside the home it thinks you're home and switches the camera off. I've written to them about this and despite several revisions of iOS software the bug remains to deafening poor reviews in the app store.

Second, Nest redesigned the website so it's so laden with software it barely works if at all. They turned a simple interface into idiot buttons with no labels or mouseover text to indicate what the controls do. And everything on the website is slow, slow, slow.

I will not be renewing my subscription for this sub-standard performance. I don't have any hope for them as every change they have made has been for the worse despite howls of complaints from the users. They just don't listen and don't care.

UPDATE (10/21/15)
I upped the review by one star once I figured-out that it's best to keep using the Dropcam iOS app. Using the Nest app, which they recommend, just leads to a world hurt in how broken it is. The Dropcam app works properly and the geolocation bugs seem to have been fixed. I still ding stars off of it because the interface isn't as good as it used to be.
on January 6, 2013
The setup is a snap. Plug the camera into your Computer. Run the installer software that the visible file system from the camera offers (pc or Mac). Config the camera for your wifi network. Set up the Dropcam account and associate the camera with the account. Unplug camera from computer, and go plug it in to an outlet via the power adapter, and place the camera.

The missing features that would make this so much better:
1) internal subnet direct connection from mobile app. If the phone or computer and the camera are on the same subnet such as both in your house wifi, then the app/software should be able to talk to the camera directly by IP address without going through the dropcam web servers. This would eliminate the lag and allow you to use the system as a real time intercom system.

2) an outdoor hardened model so one can install this in your wall by the door so I can have the mike and speaker detached from the camera and use it as front door intercom would be super. To do that now ill have to hack the hardware to add plugs to provider remote mic and speaker and get a weatherproof enclosure.

3) sharing your video feed with friends isn't as easy as it should be. Ideally you could assign them an access key that gets added to a web URL to let them directly view live feed with that special URL. Instead they have to create a dropcam account which is frequently a showstopper for most friends and family. This needs to be fixed. I don't want my camera a public feed, just controlled via a keyed URL where I can manage the keys and revoke them via my web account on dropcam.
on February 14, 2015
Great quality camera but there's a catch! Minimum $100/year to use their cloud DVR system. They give you a trial period for free but it expires, and there are other cameras with cheaper or free cloud services.

If you're ok paying $100/year or $10/month, you'll find this camera is quite good. Motion detection is advanced, night vision is superb, and the quality is just great. This is quite the bandwidth hog, so ensure you don't have limits on usage. The online/app functionality is also quite good. One added benefit of the cloud is that in the off-chance someone breaks into your house and steals your camera, you'll likely get their face in the recording. Unfortunately, even if the burglars are caught, they're likely to receive probation and you probably won't receive your stuff back. Use the $100/year to get an insurance policy for your belongings (should already be in your homeowners insurance) and valuable personal property insurance for your more expensive items. I'm saying this from personal experience.
on April 27, 2012
For $149 you can't beat it. The video quality is very good in bright light. Mine has a slight purple tint when the light's dim, but not dark enough for the infrared to kick in. The infrared works well, just don't expect high quality video. Viewing on a laptop is very good. It's great to be able to view the video feed on my adroid phone and my wife's iphone. Like the laptop, the interface for the iphone allows you to talk through the camera, but the android app doesn't. The video alerts to movement come as emails for me since i have an android, but iphones can accept a direct notification bypassing email.

Set up actually took about 2 minutes.

It runs HOT. I don't know if this is normal or if it's the one I happen to get.

The audio picks up sound well. When there's no sound, you hear what sounds like distant traffic noise.

The motion detection is very sensitive. If a bug flys by at night the sensor detects motion.

It says it pans and zooms. That's a bit of a stretch. What it actually does is allow you to zoom in on one of 5 areas of the video (live). With its 107 degree field of vision, this emulates pan and zoom. I think they were slightly misleading about this in there promotional material.

Still, I'm very pleased.

UPDATE 6/3/2013: I've had the camera over a year. It's actually the 4th replacment which says great things about customer support and warranty, but not so much good about the quality control. My biggest complaint remains the purple hue caused by the infared coating on the lens. I subscribe to the Dropcam cloud service. On the whole it's good, but it's not unusual for it to hang up and require exiting and logging back in.
on June 3, 2013
I purchased 3 drop cams from Amazon for my home. 2 out of the 3 that I received were used. I could tell they were used because the boxes were not sealed and the cables were not twist tied. Outside of the fact that Amazon says that these cameras are "new" the problem with Amazon shipping a used drop cam is that Dropcam employs a security feature which binds the camera to one account. This is a great feature because it keeps people from stealing the cameras and then using them, or viewing your DVR footage.

I was told by Dropcam that Amazon is not authorized to sell used Dropcams and I believe them. Their support was great, and they quickly fixed the issue when I provided my amazon invoice. They even threw in some DVR service for my troubles.

I've been using Amazon.com (with a prime account) for the last few years for 95% of my purchases, and this is by far the worst Amazon service I have received. Based on my experience, I would advise potential buyers to purchase their dropcam directly from the company, and not from Amazon.

But on the whole, Dropcam is a great product, and if you're looking for a camera with remote backup that can be viewed from your phone/ipad/computer, get these!

Dropcam - 5 stars.
Amazon service - 0 stars.

TLDR - Purchase these direct from Dropcam.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 12, 2013
When I read all the literature on their web site it would appear that 'cloud' recording was an option not a mandatory requirement. Being retired and rarely away for the home long, I was looking forward to having a device that allowed me to know who coming to the front door. I am disabled veteran and getting up for a salesman was just a waste of my time, so I was assuming that now I could look at the screen see that I didn't know the person and ignore him/her.

The resolution of the camera is great in the day time. If your area outside isn't visible the image leaves a lot to be desired.

The Support Staff are prompt with their assistance, however; once again unless you wish to use 'cloud' recording it's useless.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Michael,

Thank you for posting your review of Dropcam. I'm sorry that our cloud model does not work for you. All Dropcams include access to live streaming video for free, from a web browser or mobile device. The "recording" feature, Dropcam CVR, is optional and provides access to past footage. We try to make this clear on our website and Amazon page so we apologize if it did not meet your expectation.

I'm glad that you were able to contact our support team. If we can be of any further assistance or if you'd like to return your Dropcam please let us know.

Regards,
Eric Hallquist
Director of Customer Relations at Dropcam
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 27, 2014
I bought this hoping to use it with Blue Iris, but quickly figured out that it is not possible, because the camera is completely locked down. I read a message board post from the Dropcam CEO explaining that it is to the customer's benefit that it is locked down... not every customer. Why not give the option to install firmware that allows open access, so those interested in storing video locally can do so?

$9.99/month for cloud storage of HD video is a bit pricey, especially when considering that there are additional fees per camera. I do not mind paying an additional fee, but if I were to get 5-10 Dropcams, I would be paying $30-55/month. I can get an extensive surveillance system for $35/month, that includes much more AND allows me to record to a cloud and locally from Time Warner Cable.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi there,

Thank you for your honest feedback and suggestions. We do our best to explain our CVR service and pricing model on both our website and Amazon's product page, and I apologize for any confusion. Our Cloud Based service was designed with ease of use in mind, and we are always adding new features and improving existing ones to increase the value for our users. I'm sorry to hear that you feel that Dropcam is not the right solution for you. If you need anything else, please feel free to reach out to us at 877-345-3767 (Monday-Saturday 6am-6pm) or by email at support(at)dropcam(dot)com, and we will be happy to help.

Regards,
Cliff Torrence
Senior Technical Support at Dropcam
on July 5, 2013
I've had this camera for quite awhile now and I'm finally getting around to writing a review. I use it exclusively as a condo-cam just to check on things while I am at work or on the occasional short trip.

The Camera:
Image,video and sound quality are good.
Alerts: I disabled them as I was receiving too many.
The motion sensing is really sensitive so I have opted to use the sound sensor instead (but I have to turn it down to less than 50%)
The night vision isn't bad however I generally do not use it on a daily basis.

The website, cell phone app and service:
I pay for the basic service and since I am only using this as a home security device, the basic service provides adequate video time. I am pleased with the cell phone app - I turn on the camera when I arrive at work and turn it off via the cell phone when I get home. A couple of dislikes: the video controls at the website are awkward and it isn't easy to scroll the video to an exact spot/time or fast forward etc. And, when reviewing recorded events, if you press play at an event and then hit the back button on the browser or app, it returns you to the beginning of all of the recorded events. If you have a lot of these, you lose a lot of time scrolling back through the events you have already viewed.
on December 3, 2013
A friend of mine was showing me this app on his phone that showed a live view of his house and the first thing that stuck out to me was how crisp the quality was. This was no cheap low quality webcam doing it. So after quizzing him a bunch of times about it, I learned it was a Dropcam HD Wi-Fi camera. I pulled out my phone, went to Amazon's app, and purchased this bad boy right on the spot.

Installation was a snap. As an IT tech, I'm used to setting up wireless cameras for security systems and configuring ports on routers and all that complicated junk that earns me a nice hourly income. Not so for this Dropcam. You plug it into a USB port on your computer, run the software from their website or included CD, do a couple wizard thingies, and then it tells you it's ready to go. Say, what?

So you unplug the thingy and plug the thingy into a power thingy and it turns on by itself like that and then all of a sudden you have an app on your phone showing a crisp, live view of whatever the thingy is pointing at.

I'm explaining it like a dummy because it really is dummy-proof. Anyway, the wife and I are using this as a baby monitoring device at the moment where it shows a full view of our baby's crib. The night vision is awesome and a quick way to check on our baby if she triggers our baby monitors. We literally use this all the time, all day long, all night long for baby monitoring. When she gets older, I will likely purchase 2-3 more of these and set them up around the house for more baby monitoring and security. I just love this thing.
on July 26, 2013
When logging in to DropCam it says "Drop in on what you love". That is exactly what I am doing and I love that phrase !!!

I use my camera for checking on my dogs and new puppy at home when I am at work or away from the house. I love the ease of moving the camera to different locations to capture what I need to see. I promised my son I did not purchase it for checking up on him, but I now feel confident that he is doing the things he should be in regards to helping take care of the dogs while I am at work AND I also know if things with him are going ok, since his answer to everything is "ok" (he is mentally challenged). It gives me a lot of peace of mind.

One feature I love about it, is the awesome sound quality! The camera is pointed at the dogs crates, but when he takes them out of the room, I can hear him open and close the sliding glass door, or hear when he has them playing together, I can actually even hear when they drink water in the room adjacent to where the camera is positioned.
The nightvision is great, being able to see what is going on in a semi dark room or dark room is really nice, the picture quality is awesome, my co-workers get a kick out of the clips I show them.

It was super easy to set up, I had it up and working within just a few minutes, and now I would not ever want to be without it. I went ahead and got the 7 day DVR option so that if I come home and there is something "not quite right" I can check to see what happened.

Customer Service is Amazing, I contacted them about needing a new part (to make moving it around easier for my purposes) and they are sending it to me free of charge right away. They are very responsive, professional and courteous!

I would recommend this product to EVERYONE, parents, pet owners, home owners, kids who are helping to now take care of their aging parents, there are so many applications that makes this perfect for everyone!!!