5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I took the plunge with DropCam
UPDATE 8/24/2010
Published on April 14, 2010 by Hjm

2.0 out of 5 stars No bells and whistles.
I wanted to wait before I wrote a review and have had this cam for over a month.
Was excited to get this cam, especially since my Panasonic wireless cam stopped being wireless. The dropcam was super easy to set up. No ports to open and in a flash was up and running.
Published on July 27, 2011 by Ditzzz

2.0 out of 5 stars No bells and whistles., July 27, 2011
This review is from: Dropcam Wi-Fi Wireless Internet Home Security Camera (Electronics)
However, after the trial recording ended, it was nothing more than a plugin usb webcam, one I could have purchased for $25 and had the same response.
It doesn't do anything, like pan or tilt... or zoom in... a feature I dearly miss which my panasonic has. Picture quality is good, as good as any $25 cam to $400 cam. (I have them all)
If your looking for a fixed web camera, easy to set up, this one will do but it's way over priced for a basic, do nothing web cam. Their service is much too expensive per month and our home security costs just a little more then their service. Better to pick up a little video program and do your own web site recording of this cam.
I also found their recording trial to be unreliable. Would send a notice there was motion, and there was none... and did not sent a notice when I saw motion from the cats on the lanai. Also, there is no sensitivity to motion. Not sure what triggers it, but I wouldn't trust it for reliability.
I paid much less for my panasonic Bl-C131a, with pan tilt zoom and sound and it works like a dream. Yes, there are ports to open but once this cam is set up, it's fabulous. Loved how I could swing to the right and look out at the dock and water, then swing to the left and view the kitchen and sliders. There are sensitivity adjustments to motion and lots of other bells and whistles. Probably more than you need. I'm sorry I just didn't purchase a third panasonic.
Overall, this would not be in my top ten for a web cam. Too expensive, and when the trial service runs out in two weeks, its $25 a month. OUCH! However... for the simplicity of setup, I would have to give it 4.5 stars. Zero extras, has no adjustments, no fine turning, nada, zilch, nothing = 1 star
It all comes down to what you need and what you are using it for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I took the plunge with DropCam, April 14, 2010
UPDATE 8/24/2010
So we've now had the dropcam for several months and are pleased to report we are still loving it. I wasn't sure if the kids would start shifting their tatale-worthy behavior out of screenshot, but surprisingly they haven't changed a thing. We all seem to forget about it when walking around upstairs. My husband and I use it the most when we're downstairs doing dishes/cleaning/etc and the kids are "supposed" to be taking showers upstairs. It allows us to multi-task.

One important note in regards to other reviews....I've learned it's not really "motion" detection as much as it is "light" detection. We get a number of motion "flags" throughout the day when the area being monitored experiences no movement. I finally realized it's the reflection on the walls that's causing it. The cars drive by our house and it shifts the light coming through our foyer window and casting onto our hallway wall. The camera flags it as movement, when it's really the light that's moving not an object. This is also what makes it miss detection in low light. As I mentioned in my review below, we've actually set up a number of different cameras in our house. I've found the exact same issue with all of them so dropcam is not unusual in this respect and it seems you would have to upgrade to a significantly different price point to avoid this small pitfall. Still, the camera records all the time (we have the 7 day subscription) so we get the video regardless of whether there is a motion "flag".

Also, when we purchased it I wasn't sure if it would affect our wireless bandwidth since we set it up wirelessly. We've seen no change to our capacity (I certainly challenge it with all my uploading of the kids pictures!).

Still lovin' it and the customer service!
-------------

April 2010

I've been researching various options for surveillance in our home. It is frustrating because I want to use it for a few different purposes but haven't found everything addressed in one system. DropCam has addressed many of my needs. The only thing I'm waiting for is the technology to allow numerous dropcams on one network (I'd really like to have 6 or 7 of these in our home but they recommend no more than 2). For now, I'm using a combination of DropCam and some portable cameras that record to sd cards. I only ordered one DropCam until I could see how well it really worked, but I'm very pleased. I have 3 young children (8, 9 and 12) so we have a very high "tattle-tale" factor in our house. You just never know who's telling the truth! DropCam has solved that in great part. Between the video and great sound, we can usually tell who did it (note: I am using the Echo version which has sound). The kids actually love it because they can prove when they're telling the truth (not loving it so much the other times :)) DropCam support has been nothing short of amazing. They even walked me through how to change my router from WEP to WPA (as though I had a clue what either was). Today was my youngest sons birthday and we had a precious moment which happened to be caught on the camera. I called and was pleasantly surprised to find out they offer a video clip service free. All I have to do is send a request with the date/time/length of the video I want and they'll download it for me. PopPop and Granny will be so happy to see the birthday precious moment!!! I have no doubt my son will be particularly thrilled to know I've captured that moment for all eternity when I share it with his high school friends in a few years.... hehehe!!! Oh my... how many other ways can I have fun with this video???

I digress!! The second reason we wanted the camera was because of a recent rash of thefts in our neighborhood. We live in a high end area that gets targeted periodically by druggies/criminals/etc who see we've been lulled into a sense of suburban security. I put the camera facing out the window today so I could capture what was going on outside. Who knew our township ecological folks drove through our neighorhood so often??? Our police department had advised us the best deterents for the theifs were police presence and us letting them know when something was odd. I scrolled through the motion detector clips and sent a note to our police department. Put the ecological guy in a squad car when he comes out here. It'll make the thieves think we have cops all over this place!!!

Anyway, wasn't sure what I was going to get but I'm loving DropCam so far!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars We love our Dropcam!, April 28, 2010
We purchased the Dropcam so that we can watch our 7 month old play while we are at work. My husband and I are able to watch from our work computers and our iphone's. The camera was pretty easy to get set-up and we are really enjoying watching our son during the day. It is very easy to use. Our nanny can even unplug the camera and plug it in in a different room so that we can watch while they are doing different activities. I highly recommend this for working parents who have baby withdrawls!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super cool and super EASY to use, February 16, 2010
I've been using the Dropcam service for months and find it super easy to use. My Dad shared his Dropcam camera feed with me and I started using [...] to check in on him and my mom. It puts me at ease to be able to check in on my parents while I'm in NYC. Not only can I see what's going on live, but the site also allows me to view recorded moments I may have missed! How cool is that? My Dad also mentioned how easy it was to set up in the house. Highly recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but definitely the best camera solution in the market, June 30, 2010
Csongor Gyuricza (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I use this camera to monitor my pets. It was extremely easy to setup. These are a few reasons why I love this product:

- You don't need to worry about installing complicated software on your PC to monitor, record or manage your camera. As soon as your camera connects to the Internet you can log on to their website and manage all the camera settings from there.
- If you get the DVR option you can browse the video history directly from their website using your browser (again, no need to install anything)
- The image quality is surprisingly clear even in low light conditions
- There is a motion detection feature that will send you email alerts

There is definitely room for improvement in the camera management web interface. Sometimes the motion detection doesn't work and sometimes the video takes a little bit longer to load but the system is fairly new and improvements are being made all the time. Because the camera's web interface is hosted by Dropcam they can fix bugs and release new features without us having to do anything to the camera itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars can improve in 2 important features, December 23, 2010
Overall it is a nice cam and I am pleased. Customer Service is outstanding and i received my dropcam in a couple of days; I was impressed. i use it to record all activities at my front door. My only problem is that it does not detect me leaving or coming into my house or my car when I leave the house or arrive home. This of course makes me think that it doesn't motion detect a lot of times and it can be the critical time not caught and cause for getting this equipment in the first place. I surely hope they improve on the detection because otherwise it's useless. Also, would be good to have a fast dvr speed when reviewing detection points (esp. since it doesn't detect all motions) and slow down to regular speed when you need to focus on the subject recorded. I would like to purchase more but at this time i am on hold until the detection is improved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great security camera, April 16, 2011
I was looking for a camera to use with my Mac, but did not want to leave the computer running. This camera fit all my requirements and then some. Easy to install. Great web interface. Picture quality is excellent. I now have two cameras and will install a third within the next few weeks. If you want a good video/security system go for this it's great.
Its been several months now, and I have noticed that the camera does not detect all motion. For example, someone has been watching our house but the motion detector did not go off. I have seen this several times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Connects fast and easy to use, March 9, 2010
I am not very good with computers, but Dropcam was very easy to install. It took less than five minutes. It has amazing picture clarity on both my computer and iPhone. I use it for security purposes by aiming it at my house entrance. I also like to use the recording feature online to watch past occurrences or anything I may have missed. My neighbor uses his Dropcam to watch his dogs while he's at work.

2.0 out of 5 stars First thoughts..., May 7, 2012
Apoplectic1 (Newtown, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Well, what can I say but "you get what you pay for" - and in this case, maybe over pay for.

After reading all the Dropcam descriptions I could find, I decided to purchase one anyway. I've had it for two weeks now.

At first I was hoping to be able to use the IP feature to wirelessly connect to a QNAP TS-639 Pro Surveillance Station thought a router. That idea was quickly abandoned (for me anyway) because although the camera is in fact IP based, it does not allow a local network connection to the QNAP - it appears to only be able to connect to Dropcam's remote (long term pay for) servers. (How else are they going to continue a revenue stream?) I did find a blog where a Dropcam representative talked about the possibility of providing a firmware patch that would allow this type of connection - if - Dropcam were to go out of business! Please note that neither the rep nor me is suggesting any possibility that they are. It may still be possible to redirect the built-in IP routing locally within a router to the QNAP but I suspect that the stated encrypted transmission would still make the video locally unusable without a method of decryption...
Next thought: Again, since I am unwilling to purchase Dropcam's DVR service, I thought I could place the camera in an area where I could get a full head/body shot of an entrance and just use the single still photo provided in an alert email as `evidence' of an intrusion. My experience shows me that this doesn't really do what I want either.

Yes, an email still is sent when motion is detected - just like it says it does.

My problem is that the Dropcam server decides to send the alert photo the very instant motion is detected - this means the photo usually has at most an inch or two of a pinky, an arm or a shadow. Not at all useful without reviewing the footage stored on Dropcam's servers (who would have thought!)
At the time of this writing, there is no facility to delay sending the still (to get an image of a complete person or an object) that is sent from the server or to adjust anything related to optical motion sensitivity. Microphone sensitivity is adjustable - I have not tried this route yet but I suspect that unless the intruder is talking loudly...
Picture quality is well, "you get what you pay for". I'm in complete agreement with the review from Ditzzz and others. Setup and the initial user experience was simple, easy and very quick - exactly as advertised. I found the DVR review process clumsy but that will evolve over time I'm sure. False triggers for me seem to be placement and ambient light dependent. Night vision is well, poor - sort of like the distant footage one sees from publicly released military style videos. I could recognize myself and people I know without issue. The camera (day or night) is certainly not broadcast quality (not expecting that either)! I would lean toward lower end VGA (monochrome for night) resolution on an "HD" sized screen. Frame rates were acceptable. Didn't really evaluate two-way audio... One way from the camera does sound quite intelligible on reasonable computer speakers. The built-in microphone sensitivity was good and as I said it's adjustable - was able to make out someone walking up stairs behind a closed door about 20 feet from the camera. Haven't tried triggering off it yet.

The 12 IR LED's used to illuminate a night scene are noticeably visible to the naked eye (in a darkened room when looking at them) when they are on. They really can't be expected to properly illuminate anything with any resolvable detail unless the subject is within a few feet of the camera.

My thoughts so far - your mileage may vary with all the usual disclaimers....

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice and very convenient, February 18, 2010
This camera is very easy and quick to setup and use. I point one out the front window of my house to watch the front yard, sidewalk, mailbox, etc. I can very easily keep an eye on things while I'm at work or anywhere I have internet access. It stores several days worth of 24/7 video so I never miss anything. (unlike systems that only record when motion is detected)It does have a motion detection feature that will mark when motion occurs but you always get continuous video. The video has good resolution and works well in lower light. I highly recommend this camera.