From the Author
From John Albin Wilkins, author of Chapters 3 & 4: Only a handful of people claim to understand the entire Drupal theming system, so I was very happy to share my experience with theming strategies and my knowledge of the theme system internals. These chapters represent the first thorough explanation of Drupal 7's theme system, a critical system all module developers will need to interact with.
From the Back Cover
Drupal is an award-winning open-source Content Management System. It's a modular system, with an elegant hook-based architecture, and great code. Modules are plugins for Drupal that extend, build, or enhance Drupal core functionality.
In Drupal 7 Module Development, six professional Drupal developers use a practical, example-based approach to introduce PHP developers to the powerful new Drupal 7 tools, APIs, and strategies for writing custom Drupal code. This book will walk you through the development of complete Drupal modules and show you how to add various features to meet your requirements. Who this book is written for
If you are a PHP developer or a Drupal user looking to dive into Drupal development then you will find this book an excellent introduction to coding with Drupal. Those with some Drupal experience will also find this an invaluable tool for updating their knowledge about the powerful new features of Drupal 7. This book assumes that you are familiar with basic PHP programming, along with HTML and CSS.
No experience with programming Drupal is required, although it is also a handy way for experienced Drupal developers to get up to speed with Drupal 7. What you will learn from this book
- Learn how to work with Drupal's hook system
- Explore the major APIs introduced in Drupal 7 that the pros use to build successful Drupal websites
- Build and extend themes and modules to make Drupal 7 shine
- Apply the principles of Test Drive Development (TDD) and test your code programmatically using Drupal's new built-in Simple Test framework
- Leverage the book's working module examples as a starting point for your own code
- Discover the secrets of Drupal professionals as they explain the practical aspects of good Drupal development